MS Word 10 question [highlighting specific block of text]

francist44

Tenacious to a fault
Registered
Reaction score
Spotsylvania Virgina, not the vampire place
Website
www.writerfrans-cave.com
I'm not sure if the right spot ask this, but I am sure someone knows the answer.

How can select a block of text with clicking on the top or bottom and scrolling? Example, I want to copy just the first 10 chapters to paste elsewhere. Is there a way to do it by page numbers; say... page 1 through 544?

Any help appreciated.

eudaemonia

most discombobulatingly
Registered
Reaction score
I am fairly sure this isn't the best way to do that, but you could zoom all the way out in the lower right corner, which gives you an overview of (in my case) 12 pages/monitor. You could then simply highlight what you want in a slightly faster manner than scrolling through pages, but it's not exactly what you asked for.

Sadly I do not know of such a feature...

Hope I helped anyway!

Last edited:

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Find the start of your selection and place the cursor there. Then press Ctrl-G and use the dialogue box to move to the page you want. Then, holding Shift, click at the end of the selection.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
If you use style headers (i.e., Chapter 1), I believe you could copy them in outline view, and it would take all the contents under the header. I used to move around chapters using that.

This is good advice in general. Keeping control of your styles gives you a lot more control over your document, and makes life a lot easier if you want to reformat it.

DragonWing

Rob J. Vargas
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
For ten pageschapters?

Click at the beginning of the intended selection. Hold down the SHIFT key. Press the page down button until you're close, then use the arrow keys to finish it out. Don't let go of SHIFT until you've highlighted what you intend.

Or, not unlike what's already been mentioned. Click the beginning of what you intend to copy. Press F5 to go to a particular page. Hold down SHIFT while clicking on the desired end of the copy. All should be selected at that point.

::confirmed keyboard junkie::

Last edited:

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
How can select a block of text with clicking on the top or bottom and scrolling? Example, I want to copy just the first 10 chapters to paste elsewhere. Is there a way to do it by page numbers; say... page 1 through 544?
I don't know the answer, but here's something to try...

Move the cursor to the point where you want to copy "up" from... e.g. the end of page 544... then hold down the Shift and Ctrl keys, and tap the Home key.

When I do this -- admittedly in Word 2000, not Word 10 -- the block of text from the cursor position to the top of the doc is highlighted, and I can copy this (via Ctrl-C or menu Edit > Copy).

The same key combination (Shift+Ctrl+Home) works in this editor window when I try it so I think it's a Windows shortcut rather than specific to MS Word.

-Derek

sekime

Writing and learning
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if the right spot ask this, but I am sure someone knows the answer.

Any help appreciated.

The quickest way would be to create a new document just in case, and at the end of where you want to copy, take mouse and highlight everything and delete. Then select everything you want and go back to the first document.

Play around with clicking somewhere in the document, holding down the shift key and pushing the page up and page down buttons to select pages of text quickly.

Click anywhere in your document, hold down the shift and control keys and press Home to highlight everywhere above the cursor, or End to highlight everywhere below the cursor.