My first voice recorder

kowalskil

Registered
Reaction score
A Digital Voice Recorder

Digital voice recorders are much better than old tape recorders. About a week ago I finally bought one, for $50. It was Sony ICD PX-312. Frustrated by learning from the little booklet (which came with the device) I decided to write my own very short introduction. It has has just been posted at:

http://pages.csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/sony-voice.html

Feel free to share this link with others.

Comments and suggestions will be appreciated.

Ludwik Kowalski (see Wikipedia)

tko

just thanks fore everything
Registered
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
personally I like the old tape recorder

I had several new digital models but got frustrated. I like to use them while driving to make short notes. But with the digital models there's no such thing as a one touch turn on. Typically its a bunch of tiny buttons to press. And it takes time for them to boot or whatever.

But w/a $20 tape recorder I just hit the big red button and I'm good to go. Easy to do even in traffic.

ComicBent

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks!

Ludwik,

Thanks for the "how to" manual. I just bought the same digital recorder and will be learning how to use it. I am sure I will find your manual very helpful.

Roland

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm like tko. I bought a fancy little digital recorder a few years ago and discovered it was too tedious to use in the car (and too dangerous). I then bought an old-fashioned Olympus Pearlcorder that uses mini cassettes.

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
I have 2 Sony digital recorders (bought the second one after I lost the first then 6 weeks later I found the first one). Mine are dirt simple to use. There's a little Hold switch on the side that makes their function virtually identical to old-style mini-tape recorders, plus there are folder options and I can connect them to my computer and download voice recordings to it. I also bought a program that can convert voice recordings to text (my Pulse smart pen can convert script to text with a similar program).

Dragon Naturally Speaking converts voice to text very nicely and FlexT9 does the same thing for my Android phone. There's also Dragon Dictation for the iPad though you have to have a wifi connection to use it.

Grumpy Llama

Registered
Reaction score
I'm using the Easy Voice Recorder app for Android. It's free, and quick to start up. I had been using Tape-A-Talk, which works fine, but its naming conventions made it difficult to find a file. I used to use a digital voice recorder, but figured if I'm carrying a computer in my pocket, there's no need to have a second device on me.

kenebaker

Master of Meh!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kenebaker.com
I'm using the Easy Voice Recorder app for Android. It's free, and quick to start up. I had been using Tape-A-Talk, which works fine, but its naming conventions made it difficult to find a file. I used to use a digital voice recorder, but figured if I'm carrying a computer in my pocket, there's no need to have a second device on me.

Great recommendation. Just remember, app may be good, but it is down to the quality of the phone's receiver which will affect the sound quality. If you have a high-end phone, no problem. If you have a cheap quality handset, you will have a different experience.