Sharing my latest "Ah-ha" moment

Status
Not open for further replies.

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score

If I'm going to (say) have Alex and Bob in a swordfight at the top of the Tower of Pisa, I have to be aware that I'll need to:
  • Get them swords
  • Get them to Italy
  • Get them past security with the swords
  • Make them both have reason to be there at the same time, with their swords
  • Have a plot-and-character-relevant reason for everyone else to be cleared out of the area, or account for them if they're not
  • Have character-based reasons that would justify their willingness to engage in mortal combat
  • Have character-based reasons that put them in opposition to one another in the first place
... etc.

This is exactly what I saw, & what I'm doing. Yours looks much neater than mine, though! :)

I'm a headlight writer, but knowing where I'm going to end up doesn't mean I know everything (or want to know/plot everything) along the way. I see this novel like a trip across country on I-80: I'm planning a stop in every state along the way, but I don't know exactly what I'll find when I get there, or what'll be happening. I already know who dunnit, but I don't know how my MC will figure that out, how they'll be stopped. I have an idea of how my characters will change, but I don't think I've even met them all yet so who knows?

I don't think outlining necessarily = contrived plots & wooden characters, but never having done it before I can't tell what it'll mean for me. I think,maybe, it comes down to a writer's skill & how much editing one is willing to do. That, and personal preference.

Gee, never thought I'd want to defend outlining! :)

Raphee

In debt to AW
Registered
Reaction score
I just did my first experiment with outlining and it was'nt as bad as I thought. Like Prawn I only did scenes but I only outlined three chapters ahead. Each chapter was between two to five scenes. And one sentence per scene, so that I knew where I was heading.
That is not alot of writing/outlining.
It's allowed me to focus much better and think about a difficult situation or character while off-duty.
And I am a dedicated Panster speaking.

ccarver30

Nicole Castro
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Hmm, in my writings I guess I have a "light" outline- a general idea, then let things just happen as they will. I think too much of an outline can limit you. The 1/2 an outline seems like a logical solution. I am glad that she helped you. It it nice when a revelation happens! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.