Although I have never read a Mark Billingham novel...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
...this essay makes me want to snap up his entire back-catalogue.

This paragraph especially, oh how I love it:
I’ve always suspected that those who make a song and dance about how offended they are by bad language, have pictures in their heads that would make Caligula go green and chuck up his chips. I’m convinced that many who claim to be disgusted by the depiction of honest, dirty love-making, go home and piss on each other while listening to Sting and wearing clown masks.
Mr. Billingham, sir - I salute you! :D

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
English political figures have proven his theory many times over!

Billingham novels are worth a read.

Cheers,

JJ

SafetyDance

L'Oreal. He's worth it.
Registered
Reaction score
I love how some readers confuse characters and authors. It was the character using the naughties; it's not like authors are in loco parentis :p

Reaction score
The clown mask thing is so deliciously twisted.

Mind you, what else would you expect from a Brummie? :D

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
I love how some readers confuse characters and authors. It was the character using the naughties; it's not like authors are in loco parentis :p

I'm used to 'in loco parentis' as an aspect of the school system, so color me very confused here. :tongue

Also, this
In my experience, to fall back on the use of bad language usually indicates a paucity of imagination
annoys me. Every time. This isn't to say that people whose words consist entirely of f-word permutations (or who consider 'gay' the only adjective ever created) don't often come across as idiotic or at least annoying as f---, but sometimes f--- really is the best word, right?

Also, xkcd contains beautiful strips like this celebrating the use of foul language, and if you think xkcd is not imaginitive and brilliant you can [extremely imaginitive expletive left up to your imagination] wearing a clown mask.

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
A lady recently commented to me at a book signing:

Reader: 'I loved your first book, JJ, and can't wait to read this one!'

Me: 'Thank you, I hope you enjoy!

She then paused and screwed her face up a little.

Reader: 'Is there as much use of the 'F' word in this one as in the first . . . it's just that there seemed to be a lot in The Interrogator?'

My default thoughtful response would liked to have been 'Fuck yeah!'

Me: 'Not as much. The main character doesn't use that word as much now since he left the military. Maybe you could just skip over that word when you see it coming up.'

She gives a thoughtful nod as if that would work out just fine.

Reader: 'Oh that's good, it's just that blah, blah, blah etc. . .

Cheers,

JJ

Reaction score
I love how people complain about the F-word but are okay with the violence. :rolleyes:

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
Indeed! Perhaps I should have asked her for an appropriate responsive word the MC would have used when having his hand nailed to a table!

Cheers,

JJ

Reaction score
Indeed! Perhaps I should have asked her for an appropriate responsive word the MC would have used when having his hand nailed to a table!

Cheers,

JJ
"Fiddlesticks! I knew I should have had a tetanus jab. Being nailed to a table is terribly bothersome."

You're welcome. :D

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
:D

I just finished a short story for an anthology where it was requested I use no swearing - that was hard!

Cheers,

JJ

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... not my cup of tea, but if you're into the author, so be it. Enjoy the books, grr, grrr.

Last edited:

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
:D

I just finished a short story for an anthology where it was requested I use no swearing - that was hard!

Cheers,

JJ

I have had this happen, too. And I had an editor refuse to include a story even after I had taken out the "fucks" because he then didn't like the subject matter. So I put them back in, ashamed of myself for taking them out on the first place.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Never even heard of the guy, but I like the paragraph you quoted. I dig it muchly. I'm so tired of prigs.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
If one of my characters need to say the f word, my character says fuck. I hate stilted writing that tries desperately to get around bad words or bad actions. Makes for stilted prose and stilted reading.

SafetyDance

L'Oreal. He's worth it.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm used to 'in loco parentis' as an aspect of the school system, so color me very confused here. :tongue

As in, we are not there to chaperone our characters into good behaviour. Good behaviour is not the point of most novels.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I've read several of the books, and came away thinking 'meh.' Now I'm not
squeamish, I love the Dexter books, but one scene in Buried was revolting. I recently discovered he had copied the idea from a US author.

Never even heard of the guy.

One of the biggest crime writers in the UK. Or to those of us in the UK who grew up in the eighties more commonly known as Gary in Maid Marian and her Merry Men. :D

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I love how people complain about the F-word but are okay with the violence. :rolleyes:

It's the same with people who obsess about the amount of sex in a film but then have no problem with taking their ten year old kids to see Saw Part 954 because they can't be bothered to get a babysitter.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yeah! Forgot about that one. :D

I remember watching blade 2 in the cinema and actually squealing when I saw Danny John Jules on screen. Me and my friend went nuts, but no one else in the cinema seemed to get it.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not in the UK so I haven't heard of this author either. But I like his 'tude. If fuck is required, fuck it shall be.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
A lady recently commented to me at a book signing:

Reader: 'I loved your first book, JJ, and can't wait to read this one!'

Me: 'Thank you, I hope you enjoy!

She then paused and screwed her face up a little.

Reader: 'Is there as much use of the 'F' word in this one as in the first . . . it's just that there seemed to be a lot in The Interrogator?'

My default thoughtful response would liked to have been 'Fuck yeah!'

Me: 'Not as much. The main character doesn't use that word as much now since he left the military. Maybe you could just skip over that word when you see it coming up.'

She gives a thoughtful nod as if that would work out just fine.

Reader: 'Oh that's good, it's just that blah, blah, blah etc. . .

Cheers,

JJ

Sounds like my mother. She'll read a book with a black pen at the ready to censor out the curse words, just in case she wants to read it again. :ROFL:

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
I would totally check out this author.

I don't have a problem with the word Fuck though, or bad language in general - and why is it considered bad. It is just a word. Many people swear. I have never gotten what was so *gasp* awful about using certain words.

Rape, murder, torture, meh....just don't use a naughty word. :rolleyes:

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
There are still curse words? Huh. Far as I can see, they've all been used so much they've lost their real punch. However, we do still have a tacit social agreement that they're naughty, because it would be so sad to go without any naughty words.

Status
Not open for further replies.