When Did You Get...

Storyteller5

Say something...
Registered
Reaction score
I had a search around this forum and have read a ton of threads, but I didn't quite find this so I'll toss it out here. I'm new to this and I'm just trying to see what I can figure out until I manage to get my hands on Jenna's Freelancing Bible.

When did you get (or did you get)
1. a website of your own? (pay site or free site?)
2. business cards
3. a recorder for interviews
4. anything else you got specifically for freelancing that I haven't thought of, but would be good to know about

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
I actually started my website somewhere around 1998, but I was on hiatus from freelancing at the time. I started it as practice for a work project, and it actually morphed into the most popular unofficial Disney Cruise Line site on the web! But if I were just starting in freelancing now, I would get a website ASAP. I got back into freelancing a year or so ago and immediately put up a site (paid) to showcase some clips: www.barbnefer.com

I don't bother with business cards because I already have some for my travel agency and my counseling practice. If I really need one, I find people don't mind getting one or the other of those.

I bought my voice recorder when I started doing interview articles for a local publication early this year. I don't always use it tho' because I am a fast note taker.

As for other things you might need, if you don't want to pay for word processing software, I HIGHLY recommend OpenOffice, which is a totally free download and very stable. You can also get a free incoming fax number from www.k7.net and a free local phone number from www.grandcentral.com (although I don't know if they are currently accepting new sign-ups). I use a Gmail address for my writing because even tho' it's a free service, I love how they keep spam at bay, the large attachment allowance, and the practically unlimited storage. I've never had an editor bat an eye about it, at least as far as I know!

Hope this info. helps you get off and running! You will love Jenna's book.

acousticgroupie

Registered
Reaction score
I have gotten things as I needed them but some are just basic business practices. Especially if you do this full-time and need to run it as a company, a website and business cards are just the basics that any business would have.

Skyraven

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
I had a search around this forum and have read a ton of threads, but I didn't quite find this so I'll toss it out here. I'm new to this and I'm just trying to see what I can figure out until I manage to get my hands on Jenna's Freelancing Bible.

When did you get (or did you get)
2. business cards
4. anything else you got specifically for freelancing that I haven't thought of, but would be good to know about

1. I just got my free website (see my portfolio) just last month.
2. Business cards I got about two years ago, but don't use them because they have my home address! I have to get new ones.
3. No recorder yet. I take really good notes.
4. A flashdrive is really good to have. I got one about three years ago for grad school and another one when I bought my new computer last spring.
Hope this helps.

spacekadet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.monicashaw.com
One of the first thing I did when I started freelancing is set up a paid website (http://monicashaw.com). I probably use this the most in promoting myself, especially when sending clips to editors.

As for business cards, I bought "Moo cards" (http://moo.com) a few months ago and mostly give them out to my friends. But they're fun - each card is printed with one of my photos, then has my email and website address on the back.

No voice recorder, but i did get myself a big ol' monitor!

Laurie PK

Fulltime blogger & freelance writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theadventurouswriter.com
I got my business cards through Suite101 (they offer them to feature writers), and I just developed my website about 5 months ago. I think the website is more important than the business cards -- no, scratch that, I think they're important in different ways!

But both do help with your credibility as a writer. Of course, solid writing skills, a strong voice, and excellent ideas matter more than the acroutements!

jwallace

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Skyraven

My personal list for "buy it now" purchases include a laptop, sprint wireless PCS card or some other way of connecting to the net independently of the free wi-fi stuff (because I travel often), the Zoom H2 or Zoom H4 recorder for interviews (the Zoom H2 is cheaper and simpler and you probably only need that one, really), business cards, and yes--a website.

The website can be VERY helpful...your resume site may not help you get gigs every time, but the lack of one definitely is a warning sign to an editor--at least ME. I've always asked for links to online publishing and a resume site when I put out calls for writers.

Skyraven

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Jwallace. I agree now that a website is necessary for a writer. Just took me about two and a half years to do it , but I did. :)

Cate

Never Bored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catherineltully.com
A website is a must in my opinion.
I think business cards are a good idea, but I don't use them much myself.
I own a voice recorder, but don't use it. Fast notes are better for me.
I use a ledger to keep track of my expenses and income. A two column one works just fine and is inexpensive.

Hope that helps!

caseyquinn

Just happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shortstory.us.com
Keep in mind how you plan on using the website however, I have seen many writers get blogs for their "professional front" but never update it and ends up looking worse for them. I would suggest just building a static site for your company aspect this way it is consistent and professional and you dont have to worry about updating it.

Keep it seperate from any blogs you run in case you change direction with them, you dont want them impacting your freelance career.

Cate

Never Bored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catherineltully.com
If you do opt for a website, updating it frequently with recent information will help you gain clout with search engines.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
This year, just a few months back. It was getting to the point where life was getting annoying without it. I've been freelancing for 2 or 3 years, btw.

2. business cards
Just before my first conference. I actually had to run to pick them up from the post office on my way out of town! My latest set has a head shot on them to hopefully put my face in the editors' minds. :)

Still don't have one. I take notes by hand or type depending on my mood.

I bought a brand new laptop this year to replace my old decrepit one. I cannot seem to work without having a field trip once a month or so.