Main Character's Sex Life, Major Problems!

Bracken

Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone offer any sources to help understand the struggles of a young 19th Century man, devastatingly attractive through no fault of his own, poor thing, who is trying to maintain any standards of morality--not just "giving in," but constantly questioning himself? By the way, he has what today would be regarded as an extremely healthy sex drive, but in the climate of that time one wonders if some guys didn't look on themselves as monsters for entertaining such feelings. If he gets past 18 without getting any, but a large part of his motivation is, the only available women are low sorts who might give him a disease, try to trap him into supporting them, or both, does that make him in any way wimpy? Because he is acting in large part for self-preservation and not just out of some noble ideal of womanhood? He can be kind of reckless in other ways.
I do not have time to read a 4-page thread, so forgive me if this has already been mentioned.
But I think that young men and adolescent boys have always been under extreme peer pressure to prove their manhood by getting laid, preferably as frequently as possible.
I do not think this was different in the 19th century, or the 18th, for that matter.
Historically, it's always been a rite of passage for males.
I think the guy you're describing sounds like he has some complexes, and would've been viewed as an odd duck, even in that era.

JMO.

Last edited:

Palmarloop

Brevity is the soul of wit.
Registered
Reaction score
There is a series of books that were banned for years. Title: My Secret Life by "Walter". This gives insight into the sexual secrets of one particular Victorian man and shows what could be done with class, money and education. By any decent standard his activities are disgraceful and no-one would condone them but put that aside, and view it as a slice of social history. He liked to talk to the girls he seduced and occasionally you hear the authentic voice of a class that is usually silent.