UNSCRAMBLE THAT WORD!

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
The things you learn playing this game! Obviously somebody designed it, but I never thought about it. Now I know that the NIKE SWOOSH was designed BY CAROLYN DAVIDSON. That was in 1971, when she was a graphic design student at Portland State University. She got paid $35 for her work. Later, Phil Knight, co-founder of Nike, gave her some stock in the company, so she did better than some of the other creative types we've been referring to, who got virtually nothing for their earth-shattering creations. :cool:

:partyguy:

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
AA, BESHEEN RO NTHFONS PUSSTY

1. Song and composer.
2. Yet another creation--this one a folk song by now--for which the creator was paid very little.
3. Not only was he paid a flat fee for his (now) well-known song, but he died a pauper, with 38 cents in his pocket.

Arghh! The injustice of it all!

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

1. Song and composer.
2. Yet another creation--this one a folk song by now--for which the creator was paid very little.
3. Not only was he paid a flat fee for his (now) well-known song, but he died a pauper, with 38 cents in his pocket.
4. This is a real oldie, and although I've selected this song for the puzzle (because I know what he got paid for it), this composer actually wrote many songs that we are all familiar with.

Last edited:

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

1. Song and composer.
4. This is a real oldie, and although I've selected this song for the puzzle (because I know what he got paid for it), this composer actually wrote many songs that we are all familiar with.
5. The song was so popular it became an anthem for the 49ers. (I'm not talking football!)

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
It's OH, SUSANNA BY STEPHEN FOSTER

I just finished reading Write Your Heart Out : Advice from the Moon Winx Motel and this song is featured throughout the book.

Speaking of Stephen Foster, the Squirrel Nut Zippers song and animation is interesting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJzWGkgFcTU

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
NEWTJOBS PRIZING DA MALTY BANALATO

1) Another unofficial anthem and author
2) Not sure about direct compensation but the author is actually on money

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:Clap: Joe!

Thanks for the link. Love it. It looks like real animation from the Max Fleischer studio, early 1930s. I can't believe anyone could imitate that old artwork --which I happen to like--so well. :)

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
NEWTJOBS PRIZING DA MALTY BANALATO

1) Another unofficial anthem and author
2) Not sure about direct compensation but the author is actually on money
3) Unofficial national anthem for a country south of the equator

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
WALZING MATILDA BY BANJO PATERSON, Australia's unofficial national anthem.

:Guitar:

Wikipedia tells me that around 1907 Paterson sold the rights to "Waltzing Matilda" and "some other pieces" to Angus & Robertson Publishers for five pounds. Years later (1941), the song was copyrighted by an American publisher, Carl Fischer Music, as an original composition. How the f*** did they manage to pull that off?

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
AS WRYLY HOGS OR EMERGE DEBINTOR

1. Song and composer
2. This is another one where authorship is in question. A plagiarism suit resulted, and it was found that the songwriter (in the scramble) had unconsciously copied someone else's work.

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
AS WRYLY HOGS OR EMERGE DEBINTOR

1. Song and composer
2. This is another one where authorship is in question. A plagiarism suit resulted, and it was found that the songwriter (in the scramble) had unconsciously copied someone else's work.
3. The songwriter was a former member of a well-known foursome.

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
1. Song and composer
4. He wrote the song after a trip to India.

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
1. Song and composer
4. He wrote the song after a trip to India.
5. The song was released as a single in 1970 (US) and in 1971 (UK) and quickly shot to #1 on both sides of the Atlantic.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
MY SWEET LORD BY GEORGE HARRISON - from memory, it was alleged that part of the tune had been lifted from a Motown song called "He's So Fine".

Sorry you had to wait so long, Nym! I'm a late-blooming George fan.

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:Trophy:

You're on the right track, Poet. I did some digging and found that, although "He's So Fine" certainly has a Motown sound, it was actually released by a company called Laurie Records. The performers were an all-girl group from the Bronx called the Chiffons. It was released in 1963, was their first single, and went straight to #1.

As for George, I'm a big Harrison fan. Behind-the-scenes gossip tells us that he was continually frustrated when his compositions were shoved aside by the Beatles' reigning duo. But he was a damn good songwriter. "Something" is one of the best songs of the past 50 years.

As for his alleged plagiarism, it had to be unconscious. There's no way a musician of his caliber would have deliberately stolen anything. :)

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:yessmiley Thanks, Nym!

"Something" is one of the best songs of the past 50 years.
I have read that Frank Sinatra called "Something" one of the greatest love songs he'd ever heard.

I read recently, in an album-by-album compendium of the Beatles' work, that after a certain point (Sgt Pepper's, maybe), John Lennon wouldn't even be in the same building when the Beatles were recording a Harrison-written number. I've never been a fan of Lennon as a person. OTOH, I have huge admiration for Harrison. (Have you seen The Concert for George? Son Dhani looks so much like his father, it's eerie.)

New scramble in a few minutes!

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
HAVEYERBLOB OK MEL CHRYST
- warning: obscure!
- comical song and composer/singer
- singer was a math professor by, er, profession
- song satirically lauds a mathematician who profited by others' endeavours
- song title is mathematician's surname
- "be sure to always call it... research!"
- composer also wrote a satirical college fight song that has been embraced by the college, and is now a staple of the marching band's repertoire

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
LOBACHEVSKY is a satirical song BY the mathematician, songwriter and performer TOM LEHRER about a Russian mathematician named Никола́й Ива́нович Лобаче́вский (Nicolai Ivanovich Lobachevsky, in case you don't understand the Cyrillic alphabet), who supposedly plagiarized ideas about non-Euclidean geometry from a German mathematician named Carl Friedrich Gauss. Nowadays, however, historians doubt the plagiarism charge and believe that Lobachevsky's work was original.

But that has nothing to do with the song, which assumes Lobachevsky was a plagiarist and includes the lines:

Plagiarize,
Let no one else's work evade your eyes,
Remember why the good Lord made your eyes,
So don't shade your eyes,
But plagiarize, plagiarize, plagiarize...
Only be sure always to call it please, "research."

All of which is a much longer answer than this game requires. :e2seesaw:

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OP B TOLLA ON BEER WRYCEC

1. Song and composer.
2. Continuing the plagiarism theme.
3. This song is the original, which others stole in writing their song.
4. No lawsuits were ever brought, for reasons that probably stem from the importance of the people involved, but to anyone with an ear the plagiarism is obvious.
5. Both songs--the original and the rip-off--were featured in movies.

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

1. Song and composer.
4. No lawsuits were ever brought, probably because of the prominence of the people involved, but to anyone with an ear the plagiarism is obvious. (I guess I should call it alleged plagiarism, because no legal action ensued, but the theft has been the subject of amused speculation for years.)
6. The same actor was in both movies.

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

1. Song and composer.
4. No lawsuits were ever brought, probably because of the prominence of the people involved, but to anyone with an ear the plagiarism is obvious. (I guess I should call it alleged plagiarism, because no legal action ensued, but the theft has been the subject of amused speculation for years.)
6. The same actor was in both movies.
7. He sang the original song in a movie in 1948. Four years later, he was in another movie (often called the greatest movie musical of all time), but a different actor sang the "plagiarized" song.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think I must only know the 'plagiarised' version of BE A CLOWN BY COLE PORTER, remembering MAKE 'EM LAUGH, as sung by Ray Bolger in Singin' in the Rain... and not by Gene Kelly.

What a marvelous scramble - I knew nothing of this! Thanks, Nym... for the scramble and for your many clues (in every sense) and patience!

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:e2cheer:

Nice unscrambling, Poet!

For years, until I heard the real story, I thought there was just one song, with different lyrics in the two films. But no. It happened like this: All the songs in Singin' in the Rain are by the songwriting team of Nacio Herb Brown and Arthur Freed. Most of their songs were oldies at that time, from the 1920s and '30s. But they needed a couple of new numbers. One was the amusing "Moses Supposes." For the other new song, they needed something fast and funny for Donald O'Connor (it was he, not Ray Bolger, in that movie). So the two songwriters sat down and quickly wrote "Make 'em Laugh." Reportedly, the first people who heard it nearly hit the roof since--give or take a few melodic differences--it sounded almost exactly like Cole Porter's "Be a Clown" from a movie of four years earlier, The Pirate.

Anyway, both those movies were at MGM. Both starred Gene Kelly. Porter, Brown and Freed all had contracts with the studio. Apparently Porter decided that it would be better to suck it up than to get involved in legal wrangling with his own crowd.

I seem to be into long explanations these days. Must have something to do with the holidays. :D

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For the other new song, they needed something fast and funny for Donald O'Connor (it was he, not Ray Bolger, in that movie).
I've made that mistake before... quite possibly in this thread.

You, sir, are an awesome librettist!

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
BONER HIHO SO UZI MISTER NOTANTRA
- continuing the "false representation" motif
- athlete and the event she claimed to have won
- it was found she had used a performance-enhancing aid (not a drug)
- that last clue was a little misleading; let's say she was seen at the start and again at the end, but the skullduggery occurred somewhere in between
- suspicions were aroused when she, er, didn't appear to show the effects of the event