Last Movie You Watched...

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Source Code was a lot of fun. I knew who the killer was in the first ten minutes but it was fun watching Jake Gylenhall's character figure it out over the course of the movie. The science didn't exactly make sense but it was a compelling idea.

Hobo with a Shotgun was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over the top but fun in a very sick way. Rutger Hauer gives an excellent performance and conveys a lot of meaning with just his eyes. Not a family movie at all, gory and bloody, but well done for its type.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I love Hobo With A Shotgun with a vengeance. It's not something I would recommend to everyone, but it has balls like King Kong - the scene where the children in the bus are put to death by flamethrower takes serious nerve. And Rutger Hauer is always awesome.

Magnas

Really Devious
Registered
Reaction score
I watched Archipelago with Tom Hiddleston. It was a small indie film made in 2010. I liked the premise, but the slow, stilted camera work drove me crazy.

msfowle

Mom, Wife & Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
msfowle.wordpress.com
Finally watched Star Trek (2009)
It was interesting, funny, and (slightly) confusing. But I really liked it.
lol @ green woman

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
The first 5 minutes of "The Oval Portrait" or some such, supposedly based on an Edgar Allan Poe story.

Bad acting, bad sets, bad camerawork, bad script. (Keep in mind that I love bad horror--when it's done right. This was execrable.) Then the credits started. They misspelled Poe's name. :Headbang:

No. Just No.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
The first 5 minutes of "The Oval Portrait" or some such, supposedly based on an Edgar Allan Poe story.

Bad acting, bad sets, bad camerawork, bad script. (Keep in mind that I love bad horror--when it's done right. This was execrable.) Then the credits started. They misspelled Poe's name. :Headbang:

No. Just No.

bwhahahahah! What do you mean they mispelled Poe's name??? How is that even possible????

Last edited:

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Watching Red Shadow (again). I'll never tire of ninjas.

Finally watched Star Trek (2009)

Excellent film as far as visual spectacle goes, though - as SFDebris points out well - there are plot holes which could easily have been fixed. I'm hoping the next one will be better.

retromovie

Registered
Reaction score
Law Abiding Citizen It was unusual for a mainstream crime caper, which is good in itself, and quite appealing except for a couple of credibility problems here and there. The whole theme was cool. Before that, Revolver, which presumably no-one likes!

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
"Please Give" with Catherine Keener and Oliver Platt- Great!

"Panic" with Bill Macy, Donald Sutherland and Tracy Ullman- if you haven't seen it, make a point of it. A father and son hit man team, but done well- John Ritter as Macy's shrink.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Source Code was a lot of fun. I knew who the killer was in the first ten minutes but it was fun watching Jake Gylenhall's character figure it out over the course of the movie. The science didn't exactly make sense but it was a compelling idea.

That was a fun movie, and the best part for me was that, like you, I knew who it was...but my husband was doubtful thinking that was too obvious.

For once, I was the one right about that kind of thing! What a beautiful thing!

Seraph

Registered
Reaction score
That's not based on DBZ, but the first Dragon Ball anime when Goku was a kid, and yeah, does an extremely poor job adapting it. One of the worst examples of Hollywood butchering source material.

Sargentodiaz

Registered
Reaction score
Saw Avatar twice in non-3D. Awesome scenery and I absolutely loved all the colors.

Acting ... okay, I guess. Noticed a couple of actors from tv shows. Weaver's sure looking her age. :)

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Pulled out a couple of old flicks I have on DVD. One was 'Freaks' (1932)--still scary even though absurd and the other was Ride the High Country, with Randolph Scott and Joel McCrea. Mariette Hartley's first picture and Scott's last. What a movie!

msfowle

Mom, Wife & Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
msfowle.wordpress.com
Saw Avatar twice in non-3D. Awesome scenery and I absolutely loved all the colors.

Acting ... okay, I guess. Noticed a couple of actors from tv shows. Weaver's sure looking her age. :)

I saw this in the theater in 3D - my first 3D experience, as well as my mother's (we thought for sure she was gonna yak! lol!) The visuals were phenomenal! The story itself was a bit meh.
And Weaver may be "looking her age", but she'll always be Ripley to me. ;)

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
I saw The Raven. It had some good suspense, but overall it was a little silly and just didn't have any spirit. Too bad, because John Cusack just owned the role of Poe completely. (Best trailer: Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter. :banana:)

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Chronicle - the shakey-cam genre's generic superhero origin story. Kept me entertained. Took itself a bit too seriously, I mean, come on, it's shakey-cam.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Just finished reading the Patriot Games and it has me jonesing to see it again, so it'll probably be the next entry on this page for me.