Reaction score
It`s not my blog! Just thought I`d say that LOL

Last edited:

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Michelle Davidson Argyle said:
...use lay instead of lie if you're talking about an object and not a person. Grammar stuff. Those are rules.

Of course, they could be telling you a lie and sneakily call it "Grammar Stuff".

Otherwise, yeah, that needs to be said now and then.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nice!

#4 (if you are bored while writing the reader will be by reading) is a good confidence booster. I get numb to my own writing if I read it too much. That's different than having boring writing.

#5 (you have to hook on the first line). I'm glad someone finally said this. Are most readers REALLY that picky they won't give a book more than a 25 (or even 250) word chance? There are some that picky, but I can't imagine it's the rule.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
It's a good post. But it's also good to remember that, in most cases, if those "lies," help you, then there's absolutely nothing wrong with them. (I like my first sentence to hook you and to know my themes before I start, tyvm.)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
When anyone says not to write what you know, they have no clue what write what you know means. The writer of that blog definitely has no clue, and the biggest lie on there is that she doesn't write what she knows.

amrose

is Envy Augustine
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't looked at Literary Lab in a while. Their new blog layout is so much better than the old one.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Agreed Susan, I also liked the blog post :)

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
Nice blog post. Agree with it all, even number one to the extent "what you know" means you are writing about it, so you must know enough to write about it. :D

Agreed, and it's worth mentioning the blog is co-authored by three writers (two male, one female), so it's not necessarily a "she" behind these statements. Looks like more of a group effort. ;)
http://literarylab.blogspot.com/p/about-us.html

Last edited:

Kenra Daniels

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenradaniels.com
When anyone says not to write what you know, they have no clue what write what you know means. The writer of that blog definitely has no clue, and the biggest lie on there is that she doesn't write what she knows.

Unfortunately,there are some out there who say to write what you know, and still have no clue what it means. A poster on another forum once told someone that it meant a character couldn't have a job, or other experience, the writer hadn't done before! Because no amount of research could bring that experience to 'vivid life' for the reader.

Konah

Registered
Reaction score
As a newcommer to writing, I enjoyed this :D Thanks for sharing, I will be checking in on this blog for sure.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
Unfortunately,there are some out there who say to write what you know, and still have no clue what it means. A poster on another forum once told someone that it meant a character couldn't have a job, or other experience, the writer hadn't done before! Because no amount of research could bring that experience to 'vivid life' for the reader.
Well, there goes the entire SFF genre then...

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I have always taken "Write what you know" to mean "Write what you know about people, and how they behave". It doesn't mean confine your writing to autobiographical experience. If it did, H.G. Wells, Ray Bradbury, J.R.R. Tolkien, Stephen King, J.K. Rowling, Stephen Crane, Lord Dunsany, Douglas Adams, Arthur C. Clarke, Theodore Sturgeon, A.E. Van Vogt, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Rex Stout, Edgar Allan Poe . . . would all be unheard of.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Great post! Thanks! I'll follow the blog now even though I'm awful at keeping up with all the blogs I follow...and writing my own...

HisBoyElroy

Conqueror Worm
Registered
Reaction score
Your first sentence must hook the reader? I've never heard that one before. Maybe the first sentence must hook an agent or editor, but readers are generally a little cooler than that. I'm a reader and I've never required a first-sentence hook. I give a book 100 pages or so. Somewhere in there, I've gotta get hooked, but not in the first sentence.

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
My own guides:

I always try to hook on the first sentence. In fiction, every word must count.

Write what you know about the human experience. Everything else you can get from research.

Know your grammar so you can make intelligent choices with automated spelling/grammar checks.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
The first sentence should be good enough to compel the reader to read the second one.

The second one should be good enough to compel the reader to read the third.

The third one should be good enough to . . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.