The Finish the Damn Book Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

etcetc

Registered
Reaction score
My goal is as broad and ill-defined as my plot at this point. I will do SOMETHING with my WIP every single day. Whether it is actual writing, brainstorming the next scene, researching setting, or whatever, I will not close my eyes at night without having spent some time considering and scribbling or typing something related to this story.

That's been my strategy too, and it's worked really well for me. I think just doing something - anything - to do with your story, no matter how little, each day means you keep connected to it so you don't lose the thread. I'm by no means experienced - I've been working on my first novel for only a month, but it seems to me that it's pretty important to stay engaged.

As for me - got to 28,000 words this evening. Slightly behind but have had a lot of uni work as well. Just happy to have got my 1000 words in for today :)

AshNic

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats etcetc! :D I only did about 600 words so far this evening, taking a break after I finished my prologue, which ended with 4k words.

Anna Spargo-Ryan

Just pokin' about
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.annaspargoryan.com
I've squeezed out 32,725 words now, but am feeling pretty productive this week. Today I'm writing my first major plot twist, and finally feel like the book is gaining some momentum. Makes it easier to write (although the writing has been VERY ordinary lately!).

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
My plan (ha ha) was to write as much as possible on the WIP over the month of Feb. Turns out as much as possible wasn't what I'd hoped. Still, 12,500 for the month, at 41,100.

Krystal Heart

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Currently standing at 152,000/170,000 for the first draft of my WIP.
Then I'm going to move on to my next WIP, which is going to be 110,000 for the first draft.
I've only been working on this WIP for 3 weeks because I took a whole week off of it to write the first draft of another WIP. I started this on Feb. 1, took a week off of it, retook it on Feb. 9 and I've been working on it ever since. I expect to finish it today or tomorrow.

Krystal Heart

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I just finished the first draft of my WIP at almost 158,000 words. I figured there was no use to add 12,000 words when the falling action had already happened, so I put on a very romantic resolution. My WIP is romance with some sci-fi elements. Now I am going to start the second installment of my second series for Winter / Spring 2013. Initial goal is 100,000 words for first draft. Wish me luck.

AshNic

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't write any yesterday, I was too busy absorbed in a book, but I'll be making up for it this evening. I feel ashamed.

Lizardmaker

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anneejohnson
Had two really good days, finishing both chapters 8 and 9. Writing on the weekend is always a challenge for me, so I don't hold out much hope of coming close to that pace before Monday!

Krystal, congrats on finishing one and planning the next. Romance/sci-fi is a combo with great potential.

Ashley, good luck with Novel #3. I can't even imagine maintaining 5K per day!

Pushingfordream

Writing about life!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.danielwallock.com
Currently: 52,000 words
Goal: To finish, probably around 60,000 words
My absolute minimum goal: 1,000 a week! Monthly 5K
March Goal: Complete first draft!

Krystal Heart

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Had two really good days, finishing both chapters 8 and 9. Writing on the weekend is always a challenge for me, so I don't hold out much hope of coming close to that pace before Monday!

I think this deserves a :e2cookie:

Krystal, congrats on finishing one and planning the next. Romance/sci-fi is a combo with great potential.

It is? :e2cheer: Then you've just given me hope. Thank you. I am 2 days into novel #2, the one I just started yesterday, and already I am 7.4k words in.

Ashley, good luck with Novel #3. I can't even imagine maintaining 5K per day![/QUOTE]

I did 4.2k words yesterday, 3 chapters. Yeah, the chapters on this one are short. I could've done more today but I just came back from Walmart. I traded something I couldn't use at all for something awesome.

Krystal Heart

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
About 19.3k words in, and this was only in 2 days' time! When I reported I was 7.4k words in, I worked on Saturday, and I stopped at about 12.6k words in, and now, after my session on Sun., I am at 19.3k words in. :e2cheer: and the first draft is intended to be 110k words. This is going fast. I expect to do 5-10k words a day. I should be done by mid March.

PamelaC

Registered
Reaction score
About 19.3k words in, and this was only in 2 days' time! When I reported I was 7.4k words in, I worked on Saturday, and I stopped at about 12.6k words in, and now, after my session on Sun., I am at 19.3k words in. :e2cheer: and the first draft is intended to be 110k words. This is going fast. I expect to do 5-10k words a day. I should be done by mid March.

You are a freaking champ! Go you! That's got to be a great feeling.

As for me, after a couple of false starts (scrapped that first 800 words i had), a lot of procrastination in the form of research and brainstorming, and much gnashing of teeth and deciding I'm NOT going to write a damn book...a miracle! I sat down yesterday evening and just started typing, beginning with an image that has been haunting me, which developed into the opening scene, which has become the first chapter (almost, it's not quite finished, but I had to sleep).
So, I got a little over 2,000 words last night, and I'm loving it! Can't wait for "writing time" tonight!

Lizardmaker

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anneejohnson
Thank you for the Cookie Monster, Krystal!

PamelaC, you just never know what will release the floodgates. I hope the words continue to flow.

I'm halfway done with chapter 10. Supposed to attend a reading later (to listen, not read, this time), so I might need to wait until tomorrow to finish it.

Krystal Heart

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
You are a freaking champ! Go you! That's got to be a great feeling.

As for me, after a couple of false starts (scrapped that first 800 words i had), a lot of procrastination in the form of research and brainstorming, and much gnashing of teeth and deciding I'm NOT going to write a damn book...a miracle! I sat down yesterday evening and just started typing, beginning with an image that has been haunting me, which developed into the opening scene, which has become the first chapter (almost, it's not quite finished, but I had to sleep).
So, I got a little over 2,000 words last night, and I'm loving it! Can't wait for "writing time" tonight!

I daydreamed about the plot for a novel and I thought it wasn't going anywhere. This happened in early 2009. Then I sat down and wrote it. 220k words. :eek: All this from a novel that I thought was going nowhere, repeating over and over in my mind, "This is stupid!" You now how long it took me to write that? One month and 15 days. Those characters in that attempt at a novel, (because of how impossibly long it is) all from a "stupid" idea. If a stupid idea can take me there, I can't imagine what a great idea could do. Oh, wait, I've written 20+ novels in the last 2 years born from great ideas. And I've got another one in the works. These hands never stop.

JFitchett92

Registered
Reaction score
I smashed out the draft of my 4th chapter, which puts me at just under 12k words. I will be polishing it up a bit tomorrow, as well as adding some additional texture that I had left out from previous chapters.

That, and I've been coming up with ideas for other stories. :Shrug:

PamelaC

Registered
Reaction score
I daydreamed about the plot for a novel and I thought it wasn't going anywhere. This happened in early 2009. Then I sat down and wrote it. 220k words. :eek: All this from a novel that I thought was going nowhere, repeating over and over in my mind, "This is stupid!" You now how long it took me to write that? One month and 15 days. Those characters in that attempt at a novel, (because of how impossibly long it is) all from a "stupid" idea. If a stupid idea can take me there, I can't imagine what a great idea could do. Oh, wait, I've written 20+ novels in the last 2 years born from great ideas. And I've got another one in the works. These hands never stop.

That's so awesome!
My WIP is coming from ideas that have knocked around in my daydreams for years. I have to really let things percolate for awhile before I can start writing.

I just added 506 words which finished up my first chapter and gives me a grand total of 2,581 words.

I'm going to start the second chapter while it's rolling around in my brain and write as much as I can before bedtime - which will be early tonight because I'm exhausted.

Keep on keeping on, everyone! You're amazing!

ETA: Added 527 more words which got chapter two started at least. That's 1,033 words tonight which brings me to 3,108 total. I'll take it.

I wish I could finish this chapter, but I'm fried and need sleep. I kind of like stopping when I know what's coming next, that way I can jump right in tomorrow night when I get to write again.

Goodnight, damn book.

Last edited:

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Checking In.

Hi everyone!

I'm a bit stuck for where I'm going next, how I'm going to get there, but in the meantime, I've begun adding in a small subplot which I think will support both the internal and external motivations of my h/H.

I had taken a couple of days off, wrote about 1000 words today.

WIP: Frag Hag
Goal: 85,000 words by June 1.
Current: 45,100
Daily goal: Squishy

PamelaC

Registered
Reaction score
Whew! 1,357 words tonight, which finished up chapter two and brings the total to 4,466.
That was like pulling teeth. But I'm glad it's done. Tomorrow the fun stuff begins. I hope.

Krystal Heart

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Currently at almost 45,000 words and trying to get at least 5k a day so that I can get going on other works that I abandoned to do the ones that I've been working on.

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
It has been close to forever since I've written anything at all.
I find it really difficult on the lead up to my son's scans (which will predict our whole future) and on top of that I've had some major emotional obstacles to overcome. My friend's daughter passed away at age 13, after suffering 4 years with bone cancer. A friend's son relapsed with muscle cancer after 20 month of being in remission and my friend's 16 month old baby relapsed with leukemia. All I can say is cancer sucks, especially childhood cancer, which is what my son has.

So on a more positive note. I wrote, I actually put my fingers to the keys and typed out 950 words and it felt amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.