Not open for further replies.

Richard Paolinelli

Sockpuppet
Banned
Richard Paolinelli Sock
Reaction score
Website
www.richardpaolinelli.com
So, not three minutes after I wake up and my cell phone chimes to let me know I just received an e-mail. I look, and it is from the agent who asked for my first five pages of a novel I queried her on.

Eagerly I open the e-mail to find.....

REJECTED!!!!!

That'll make you just crawl right back under the covers and stay there won't it?

She did mention that they hadn't drawn her in like she'd hoped so I think what I am going to do is go back and change the start (start with the first murder in progress instead of introducing the MC right off the bat) to give it more of a hook so maybe the next time around I won't have that issue.

Just as soon as the depressing cloud of gloom quits raining on me, I'll get back to work.

Still a crappy way to start the day though.....

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
Sorry, Richard. We've all been there. It still sucks.

Brush it off. One day you'll look back on this and laugh. Or something like that.:D

Hugs.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't read too much into "didn't draw me in." It could be form, it could be just a polite way to say it's not her cup of tea, and so on. It's just as (or more likely) to be something like that than a serious commentary on a flaw with the novel. The beginning might be fine but still not draw someone in, and a person can be not drawn in for several reasons.

Have you put it up on SYW or gotten critiques on it?

I do agree, though, that first in the morning rejections suck. I agree with turning off email alerts. Honestly, I gave myself once or twice a day to check my email. Otherwise I'd have gone crazy checking every five minutes.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bit sucky. I hope tomorrow will be better :)

Richard Paolinelli

Sockpuppet
Banned
Richard Paolinelli Sock
Reaction score
Website
I wouldn't read too much into "didn't draw me in." It could be form, it could be just a polite way to say it's not her cup of tea, and so on. It's just as (or more likely) to be something like that than a serious commentary on a flaw with the novel. The beginning might be fine but still not draw someone in, and a person can be not drawn in for several reasons.

I was feeling good about the novel as a whole until after I had sent the requested first five pages in. That's when I realized I may have spent too much time introducing the MC and not enough on hooking the reader in. After I sent it in and reread the first five pages I was worried that it was a slower start than I first thought.

My original instinct with the story was to start it off with the first murder in progress, then changed my mind. The response I got from the agent really confirmed to me that I should have gone with the first instinct. I can very easily write 5-6 pages on the first murder so the next request for pages will have a much better hook and not have to do much of a rewrite on what follows at all.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I should have gone with the first instinct. I can very easily write 5-6 pages on the first murder so the next request for pages will have a much better hook and not have to do much of a rewrite on what follows at all.

Off you go then.... :Sun:

Nicole River

with the weird fowl in her userpic
Registered
Reaction score
Hehehe I know that...
*phone chimes at 8 in the morning on a Monday*
My SO: Aren't you going to check that?
Me:... at this hour, it can only be a rejection. So no.:evil

Seriously, I've never received any requests before noon. Ever.
And now that I have several fulls out, every time I hear that damn chime thingy I get a nosebleed. :p

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Don't think of this as a rejection, think of it as an agent kindly telling you that your instincts were right. Smile at the good news, and then sit down and get the opening the way you thought it should be.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
This is why I didn't want email notifications. I wanted to face the damn rejections in my own good time. ;)

Richard Paolinelli

Sockpuppet
Banned
Richard Paolinelli Sock
Reaction score
Website
Don't think of this as a rejection, think of it as an agent kindly telling you that your instincts were right. Smile at the good news, and then sit down and get the opening the way you thought it should be.

I am, I am. What has me a little down was this was the agent I really wanted to rep me. Feel a little disappointed in myself that I did not do a good enough job to impress her.

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
My husband's phone says "DROID" everytime he gets an e-mail. I complained that it was really annoying so now he changed it to Dr. Who's Dalek's "EXTERMINATE", which is creepier and more how I picture a rejection notice should go. Anyway, Richard, I'm sorry for the rejection. It sucks. :(

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
My phone chirp's Navi from The Legend of Zelda's "HEY!" every time I get an e-mail to the querying inbox. At times, that can be a nerve-wracking noise.

I've had first-thing-in-the-morning rejections too. Not fun, but as long as they're form rejections I can just shrug 'em off. Only the personalised ones sting.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I am, I am. What has me a little down was this was the agent I really wanted to rep me. Feel a little disappointed in myself that I did not do a good enough job to impress her.

I hear that. I think all of us have had those "I knew I should have done in that way" moments. Then you kick yourself in the rear end a few times, bang your head against the nearest hard surface once or twice, and move on.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Richard, I'm sorry! Rejection sucks. But it does sound like it confirmed your instinct, so that's a silver lining.

I always check my email on my iPhone first thing when I wake up. It's usually spam that didn't get caught in the right filter or a friend in a different timezone commenting on my Facebook. Or it's a rejection, which is a lovely encouragement to get up. Ugh.

Seriously, I've never received any requests before noon. Ever.
And now that I have several fulls out, every time I hear that damn chime thingy I get a nosebleed. :p

ME NEITHER. And two of my full requests that stand out in my mind happened at like 10pm on a Friday night.

My phone chirp's Navi from The Legend of Zelda's "HEY!" every time I get an e-mail to the querying inbox. At times, that can be a nerve-wracking noise.
I should do this. It's a good idea. I recently got a response to an R&R and immediately archived it so that I could deal with it after my actual work was done. I hate getting all of my querying and submission responses in with my regular email because there's nothing like trying to do your paying job after you get a particularly gutting email. (I'm too lazy/busy for multiple email accounts.)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have an app that reads the e-mail and decides whether it's good or bad news before it notifies you? It could notify you off the good ones right away, and save the bad ones for after hours, and possibly start these with a "You might want to lock up any firearms you have, and take a stiff drink before you read this one."

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
That idea rings a bell, have you mentioned it here before?

It's not my cup of tea -- I don't trust software to decide the priority of things (GMail's priority inbox was useless to me), and I don't like holding back bad news. It just turns the e-mail into too big a deal. :) Better to just get it over with and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.