• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Printer] First Choice Books

andersonkim

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone had experience with First Choice Books? They are located in Victoria BC Canada. I am currently peddling my manuscript to publishers, with no success so far. I checked out this self publishing site, and their services look appealing, but I am still leary.

MickRooney

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theindependentpublishingmagazine.com
Has anyone had experience with First Choice Books? They are located in Victoria BC Canada. I am currently peddling my manuscript to publishers, with no success so far. I checked out this self publishing site, and their services look appealing, but I am still leary.

Kim,

Is this the company?

First Choice Books.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Moved to B&BC for a wider audience.

jairey

Registered
Reaction score
Haven't dealt with them, but after searching around I found their prices to just print a book and they seem high. (That's with you sending them a print-ready file.) The printer I use here in the USA charges less than half what they are -- with no minimum and no shipping charge. That's without any of their other additional services. They seem to be geared to the Canadian market. FWIW

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like them better if they didn't say things like "our authors are enjoying success from the sales of their books." I can respect an honest print-and-bind operation, but these guys are edging over into a different line of business.

See also, this post in the not-a-FAQ.

andersonkim

Registered
Reaction score
Haven't dealt with them, but after searching around I found their prices to just print a book and they seem high. (That's with you sending them a print-ready file.) The printer I use here in the USA charges less than half what they are -- with no minimum and no shipping charge. That's without any of their other additional services. They seem to be geared to the Canadian market. FWIW
It is not so much the cost that concerns me, but the quality of the final product...

andersonkim

Registered
Reaction score
I'd like them better if they didn't say things like "our authors are enjoying success from the sales of their books." I can respect an honest print-and-bind operation, but these guys are edging over into a different line of business.

See also, this post in the not-a-FAQ.

Thanks for the link to the not-a-FAQ, though I am only asking about this particular self-publisher as an option. I am just trying to find out whether or not they put out a decent product. IF I go into self-publishing, it is with my eyes wide open.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
My wife was biking through Vancouver today past Chapters (Barnes and Noble's equivalent in Canada for those who are unfamiliar). A man with a Chapters shopping bag full of books stopped her and asked, "Are you an author?"

Her book just started shipping this week, so she said she was and he handed her a book from his bag.

She just showed it to me a while ago and I found these guys published it. The thing is, I doubt the book has ever been inside a Chapters. There's a typo on the COVER for god's sake. In the title, no less. It even has a "Staff Pick" sticker on the front with an illegible name written on it (looks like "Peri Gaza" maybe?) and a bar-code sticker on the back like Chapters uses. I think they're just trying to get prospective authors to believe that they place books in Chapters regularly and get good shelf placement. If I'm right it's awfully sleazy behaviour.

The book, for those who care is called (and I'll do this on a separate line, the lone quotation mark is part of the title).

The Wandering Waves memoir of an Afghan cartoonist"

Melanie coowner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firstchoicebooks.ca
Firstchoicebooks

Hello

The above company has been under new management for over two years.

Please check out the new website!

New company policy standards ensure cover errors are eliminated so the staff has no knowledge of any that have occurred under new management.

Customer satisfaction is the highest priority.

Staff are extremely talented and one of our three graphic designers teaches at the local school of graphic design. The graphic designers have a combined experience of over 20 years.

Production staff is equally competent with a combined experience of over 38 years.

The company is honoured to be currently publishing books involving the research work of Nobel laureates in economics.

Firstchoicebooks has recently published the PhD dissertations of customers getting their degrees in library science in the US (on client referral).

Firstchoicebooks/Victoria Bindery is also the "GoTo" publishers for Naval retirement binders complete with gold hot foil stamping of the naval seal.

Firstchoice books has successfully published books in every genre including cookbooks, history books, First Nations' publications, children's books, books in ten different languages, fiction, etc.

Thank you for reading this and your continuing interest in Firstchoicebooks.