The Dastardly Dungeon of Deliciously Devious Drinks

Status
Not open for further replies.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
Yeah. I swear I see a hint of nip in the shadows...

That's EXACTLY what I thought when I saw it, JJ!

(Having actually WORN a chainmail bikini in her life... but not in combat)

Now... I just wrote 1400 words in the last hour. Which is great! But it ate up three scenes in one, so I have fewer scenes. This is actually sort of good, as this is the climax of the book, and I had too many after-scenes listed for the right pace. However, that means the book will be shorter than planned. No big deal - it was geared towards 90K, and will likely be more like 81K. I'm at 73K now. My previous ones were 100-120K, but book 4 (the one just before this one) was 80K, so again, all good.

But that means that I MIGHT actually be able to finish this one off first draft tomorrow. I started it 3/23/17, but didn't get 'rolling' until 4/15. Three weeks of light writing before I got into my stride, then five weeks of heavy writing to the climax? I'm fine with that pace.

Next up: Complete read through to kill the mistakes, tighten the themes, plot points, characters, etc. Then betas. Then editing. But at least I can take a breather before I start the next one.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Any who, is anyone else freaking out about the beta project? I submitted the day it opened and now I's gon and gone crazy afeared over it!! :s

SO AFEARED.:e2paperba

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right? That's right, isn't it? And beta feedback doesn't actually kill you. Right?

But truly, I do want to know what's working and what isn't so I have a chance to fix it. It can be really frustrating, but I've also gotten some great ideas from beta comments before. And that feels really good.

sockycat

Registered
Reaction score
Look at it like this: Your entry is between you and Sage. You're anonymous to everyone else, and you won't have to reveal yourself at any point. Even if your entry is barely legible English, you're going to get three entries of good advice for making it legible English. Based on your posts, though, I'm preeeetty confident you write good and you're gonna get people wanting to beta for you. ;)

That is so nice. The vote of confidence is much appreciated!

Wow, I loved this. Thank you so much for sharing!

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I've also worn a corset with a chemise and practiced sword-fighting with rapiers. Now, the tip was dulled for practice fighting, but when a rapier-tip brushes the nipple at high speed, you still spin around and fall to the ground, clutching your bosom in pain. At least, that's what I did.

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
Girl, DO NOT compare yourself to Neil Gaiman. That way lies madness.
I'd say DO COMPARE to the greats. Not comparing as in "oh, he's so great, I'm so poor" but comparing as in trying to find what the differences are between their works and yours.
:TheWave:

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
You're the bravest person I know. :Hail:

I've also worn a corset with a chemise and practiced sword-fighting with rapiers. Now, the tip was dulled for practice fighting, but when a rapier-tip brushes the nipple at high speed, you still spin around and fall to the ground, clutching your bosom in pain. At least, that's what I did.

*seconds JJ's statements :Hail:* Hawt dang, GD! Truly, you are the bombedest-diggidy-dawg I've ever had the pleasure of interacting with!

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I'd say DO COMPARE to the greats. Not comparing as in "oh, he's so great, I'm so poor" but comparing as in trying to find what the differences are between their works and yours.
:TheWave:

STUDY the greats, absolutely. But going "this is exhibit A, this is exhibit B. As you can see, the quality of Exhibit A is miles beyond Exhibit B, therefore Exhibit B should probably stop" is not as beneficial. The only authorial direct comparison anyone should do is the writer they were yesterday to the writer they are today.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I used to be part of the Italian Renaissance Festival in Viscaya (Miami) every year. We'd do a living chess game, and practice the pre-choreographed fights all year for the performances. Therefore, corsets and live steel. :D

I was also a member of 'The Ladies of the Dagger and Rose', a singing and dancing wench group. We'd sing bawdy songs. :D

Here is a video of our group (though I don't believe I was on the board this year). However, my friend Ian is great at playing a drunken fop.

And here's another. And one with Molly in a full velvet Italian Renaissance dress, fighting in the Florida heat...

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
OK, I got brave and asked one more time to either put something under the chain mail bikini or change it... let's see if my publisher flips out on me for the last minute change! I got confirmation that there's a slight nipple peek. That's not reflective of the story. In fact, this is one of my 'cleanest' novels in terms of sex. Everything sexual happens off-screen. Well, except when the Goddess is sitting cross-legged and naked in a ritual, embarrassing the heck out of the modern young lady with her.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Because IKEA is a magical, magical place. Speaking of which....I really need to take a trip to IKEA

I've heard magical things about their swedish meatballs. Truth? I mean, not that I'm going to go to a town 45 minutes away for meatballs *has gone and will continue to go 45 minutes for meatballs*

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
I was unaware that they sold food other than meatballs.

Or that "chicken meatball" in Swedish is "kycklingköttbullar".

I'm surprised you don't have to mix the ingredients and form the meatballs yourself.

griffins

Registered
Reaction score
I was unaware that they sold food other than meatballs.

Or that "chicken meatball" in Swedish is "kycklingköttbullar".

I'm surprised you don't have to mix the ingredients and form the meatballs yourself.

In popular IKEA tradition, they offer prepackaged meatballs that you have to cook yourself. But if you buy them in their cafe, they come pre-assembled, hot, and with mashed potatoes and gravy. Their frozen yogurt is of the McDonald's totally-artificial-but-really-addictive kind. They also have other stuff, but only the meatballs are worth the 45 minute drive.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
I doubt it, GD.

I've been to IKEA a few times. They have some cool furniture, but I don't really understand the cult following it's acquired over the years.

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
:hooray: 10 more days of school! Take your darn kids and get! *shakes fist at sky*

I seem to recall seeing that the removal of legumes in the Whole 30 diet is because it was originally designed to diagnose food allergies and legumes are a common allergen. If you aren't allergic, you can (theoretically) modify the diet to retain some legumes and still have beneficial effects.

I know...but I want it for the challenge! Can I step out of my comfort zone and eat new food for 30 days? (Probably not) Can I live without nachos for a month? (Ha!) But nevertheless, she attempted!

Have you thought about getting someone at the gym just to show you how some of the equipment works? Depending on the place, they are all for educating their members. Or bring along a savvy friend who can show you the ropes and spot you. Or help you out when the, um, equipment breaks and falls on you...not that Winks has ever had that happen to her, of course. Nope. *smell of burning pants fill the cantina*

This will sound moderately terrible, but I have exactly one friend IRL and she lives about 1.5 hours away from me. I lonewoman it at the gym lol. I'm usually there during non-staffed hours, but I stealthily eyeball people and have a general idea about the machines in the front middle. Everything else is still a mystery. ;)

You could also check out some fitness magazines for ideas - Shape and Women's Fitness come to mind.

You're so sweet! :) I've been looking up stuff with those and the women's fitness subreddit (though they seem to aim for a higher level of swole than I nightmare of. Too much work!)

I'm a little nervous because I'm newer to AW, and the only eyes that have seen my manuscript are classmates, friends, and family. So that evil little voice in my head keeps saying "You shouldn't have submitted! Your writing sucks! They're going to tell you you're terrible and that you should give up now!"

Thanks, subconscious. You're a real gem.

Everyone's subconscious is like that. Everyone's. Even the most confident people. You just tell that voice to stuff a sock in it and power through anyway, because mistakes are proof you are trying.

Oh man, the idea of chain mail with literally nothing underneath is really funny. "DIE HEATHEN CURS...ow, hold on, my boob is pinching. *adjusts mail* NOW DIE!!!"

Ireland and Florida aren't quite the same climate wise, but the first thing I thought of was ow, ow, ow, hot metal on boobs.

Dudette, have you never fenced with a chest guard on? (Don't hug anyone while wearing one of those. You will break them.) Huge. Difference. They make smaller, removable plates that look like bra padding and can be slipped in clothes.

Status
Not open for further replies.