Stationery 1965

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm assuming a dip pen is a fountain pen. I used fountain pens in school for at least the first half of the '60's (in Montreal, Canada). They were as much a requirement at our school as nylons, white blouse and grey skirt. (Hemmed an inch below the knee. Show your knees and you got sent home.)

Not exactly - fountain pens (in Australia, anyway) had a reservoir for the ink (but they weren't quite the same as cartridge pens which had an actual ink cartridge...). Dip pens were the ones you continually dipped into the ink bottle - you could only write for as long as there was ink in the nib (a few words, a sentence or two from memory). Dip pens were lethal because of the risk of spillage and blottage - a risk which was greatly increased if there was a nun with a ruler looking over your shoulder... ;)

Coo-ee, if you google dip pens images there are some very fine examples. I'm just too thick to know how to post the pic here....

Last edited:

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Yep!

Remember inkwells to avoid ink spillage?

Littles graduated from pencil to dip pen in their handwriting lessons. Then when they reached 11yrs and headed off for senior school they were allowed fountain pens.Usually pens which were filled from a bottle of ink, cartridges were just coming in.