Oh crap...that's in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inarticulate Babbler

Pissin' Everyone off, 1 at a time
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think it was Stephen King (in Danse Macabre) who said there are only a few basic plots (paraphrasing here):
1) Boy loses girl; boy gets girl back (or any variation)
2) Boy loses girl; boy finds new girl (or any variation)
3) Revenge
4) Quest for something
5) Solving a mystery

The originality is going to be in your voice, characters and plot-devices. It's like playing a guitar. There are no new notes. Everything that can be played anywhere along the neck can be played in the first five frets (it's the octaves that differ).

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
I think it was Stephen King (in Danse Macabre) who said there are only a few basic plots (paraphrasing here):
1) Boy loses girl; boy gets girl back (or any variation)
2) Boy loses girl; boy finds new girl (or any variation)
3) Revenge
4) Quest for something
5) Solving a mystery

The originality is going to be in your voice, characters and plot-devices. It's like playing a guitar. There are no new notes. Everything that can be played anywhere along the neck can be played in the first five frets (it's the octaves that differ).

They ought to shoot, draw and quarter him.

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
Could you elaborate? Based on what?

Um... 'cause I don't like his simplification of the process/system. Loved your guitar metaphor, but every time SK gets quoted I end up bald. But just to be clear, this is only my personal opinion. Don't pay it too much mind.

As a note: normally, it's hanged drawn and quartered, but I don't think we need a half-hanged stephen.

DisenchantedDoc

Give me believable dialogue
Registered
Reaction score
There's actually a writing book about the 20 Master Plots out there, if case anyone's interested.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Booker's seven were good enough for me :)

jessicaorr

Book fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Romeo and Juliet, West Side Story--all starcrossed lovers, all good tales.

I thought West Side Story was intentionally based on Romeo and Juliet- like Bridget Jones' Diary is loosely based on Pride and Prejudice. Not positive though.

It has happened to me once before. The book was so similar to my WIP that I shelved it. I might go back and try to rework it someday, but as for now I've got no shortage of ideas.... it's the time to develop them that I lack.

Greg Wilson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gregoryawilson.com
Apparently great (fantasy) minds think alike, because I just blogged about this (and I swear I wasn't copying from this thread!)--and David Niall Wilson commented on my Red Room post, having just written something about the same subject as well. Apparently we're all in a massive feedback loop. :)

Greg

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
i have swords that will cut through anything.

sounds a lot like pulmer.

(by the way i don't recomned pulmer (golden compas and others) they are so angry, and well i got a shadow in my mind reading them, it took months to get rid of. he was angry when he wrote i can tell)

Status
Not open for further replies.