• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Captive Unicorn Publications

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
But they're not in a position to exploit many of those rights. Are there provisions for them selling rights to other companies? If so, do they give you a cut of the take?

Is there a reversion clause, or is it seven years no matter what?

Captive Unicorn may not be able to exploit the Cupcake Wrapper Rights, but it looks to me like Liberator can ... in case they wind up with a best-seller on their hands and want to market a Fifty-Shades-of-Grape (TM) Vibrator, Fifty-Shades-of-Grape (TM) Lube, and Fifty-Shades-of-Grape (TM) Fur-Lined Handcuffs.

Bogna

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bemaslanka.wordpress.com
Captive Unicorn may not be able to exploit the Cupcake Wrapper Rights, but it looks to me like Liberator can ... in case they wind up with a best-seller on their hands and want to market a Fifty-Shades-of-Grape (TM) Vibrator, Fifty-Shades-of-Grape (TM) Lube, and Fifty-Shades-of-Grape (TM) Fur-Lined Handcuffs.

Yup. The contract is NOT with CU, it is with Liberator.

This has me a little concerned - I don't like the way you said 'my understanding' - contracts shouldn't be open to interpretation. Did you get your lawyer or agent to look at it before you signed?

I don't have an agent, nor can I afford a lawyer. All it says in the contract is that they (Liberator) have the rights to all that junk. No terms about if I would get paid for any of it.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have an agent, nor can I afford a lawyer. All it says in the contract is that they (Liberator) have the rights to all that junk. No terms about if I would get paid for any of it.

This is EXACTLY why you need to get someone else to look at the contract for you. If you can't afford a lawyer or don't have an agent, there are some societies that will look at the contract for you for free or for a small fee.

Topaz044

Resident Zombie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.warofthesoulites.com
This is EXACTLY why you need to get someone else to look at the contract for you. If you can't afford a lawyer or don't have an agent, there are some societies that will look at the contract for you for free or for a small fee.

Also people who could help for free on Absolute Write I'm sure :) Seven years does seem like a long time. Most contracts I've seen are between one year to three.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
TW ceased Aug '15, and site went down mid-'16. (Domain belongs to someone else now.)