Spaces after sentences...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
So, I was just on another writing forum, and they were talking about how much "classier" it was to only put one space after each sentence. They even implied that having two spaces after each sentence made you seem amateurish.

Personally, every time I've seen guidlines go into specifics, they wanted two spaces after each sentence. It's what my publisher wants, and it's what I've seen agents use.

So where are these guys getting this idea? I've never even heard of it. Do a lot of people believe this?

Deleted member 42

It's because on computers there's something called proportional spacing for some fonts, like Times New Roman; in those fonts every character is a different width, and there's already extra "space" added after the period. You only need one space. Other fonts, like Courier are not proportionately spaced, and really need two spaces after a period because each character in the font takes up the same amount of space.

Typewriters usually had non-proportionate fonts, like Courier, and people learned to type two spaces after a period.

Do what the publisher requests. Always.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
I bow to your superior wisdom. :D

But I was pretty sure that the "always use only one space crowd" were missing something...

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
It's because on computers there's something called proportional spacing for some fonts, like Times New Roman; in those fonts every character is a different width, and there's already extra "space" added after the period. You only need one space. Other fonts, like Courier are not proportionately spaced, and really need two spaces after a period because each character in the font takes up the same amount of space.

Typewriters usually had non-proportionate fonts, like Courier, and people learned to type two spaces after a period.

This is exactly what I was taught. Typewriter--2 spaces. Computer (unless Courier)--1.

I second the "do what your publisher wants."

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score

There was a big discussion on this over at another forum I used to visit and no one explained this out, so thank you for finally making sense of it for me. All I knew was at work, I was taught always to double space on the subtitling software, but single on the teleprompter. The subtitles though are a really clunky, dot-matrix sort of font that needs every bit of formatting done manually whereas the teleprompter's just standard computer font (I think I set it to Arial).

That makes sense now.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, two spaces dates back to typewriting days. Today, one space is standard, but publisher's rules are always trump in a specific situation. Here's Chicago's take, if anyone is interested.

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good advice above.

Anyway, whichever way you do it can easily be changed. Just go from one to two spaces, or vice-versa, after all your periods by means of search-and-replace.

:hat:

KAP

Hangin' with the gargies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keithpyeatt.com
So, I was just on another writing forum, and they were talking about how much "classier" it was to only put one space after each sentence.

E gads, please don't tell me there are still those so bourgeois that they use two spaces after a period. *lifts nose and exits*

Deleted member 42

The two most important things to remember about formatting and editing:

1. Follow the publisher's instructions.
2. Standardize--do the same thing the same way, so that later the copy editor and typesetter/ compositor have an easier time making necessary changes.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Since I learned to type on a typewriter (manual, no less!), I can't help but put two spaces. I guess I will forever look amateurish because it's not a habit I am going to put a lot of effort into breaking. :)

Reaction score
I've never even heard of two-spaces on a typewriter. Well, not before I joined AW anyway. I've only ever used one, on a typewriter or on a computer, with any font.

Deleted member 42

More often than not, publishers will want Courier, double spaced, with two spaces after a period because it's much easier to edit on the hard copy, and because if you're really good, and have a lot of experience, you can look at the typescript and know how many pages it will run.

Susan Flemming

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susanflemming.com
So where are these guys getting this idea? I've never even heard of it. Do a lot of people believe this?

It seems to me that there are always those people who are looking for an excuse to feel superior to or "classier" than another.

I use two spaces after a period because that's how I was taught to type... oh those many, many years ago. I suppose I could retrain myself to type only one space, but I don't see the point. I've never had an editor reject a piece because I put two spaces after periods. And I've never had an editor tell me to remove the extra space during revisions/proofing of a piece that's been accepted for publication. However, if I came across a publisher that specifically requested only one space, then I'd use the search and replace feature in Word to "clean" up the manuscript before submitting.

What makes one a professional is being able to provide clean, clear, publishable copy to an editor in the format that particular editor prefers.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
Strangely enough, even though I learned to type on a typewriter, and I know I was taught to do two spaces after a period, I can't remember the last time I actually did so. My sister is five years younger than me, and I don't know if she learned on a typewriter or computer, but she puts two spaces after.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was taught to do two spaces and so I always do, which means reformatting sometimes for short story submissions when that's what the editor wants.

But I don't stress overly. Write however you feel comfortable and then format to publisher/editor's specifications.

I've seen the drama over the question and it reminds me of the silly debates over whether the free end of the toilet paper should hang over or under the roll. Who has time to worry about that?

Deleted member 42

I've seen the drama over the question and it reminds me of the silly debates over whether the free end of the toilet paper should hang over or under the roll. Who has time to worry about that?

OMG, I'm shocked, shocked, I tell you, that you can so easily dismiss one of the great cultural divides . . .

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
TP goes under if you have a rambunction cat, dog or child. Harder to unravel.
I've never even heard of two-spaces on a typewriter. Well, not before I joined AW anyway. I've only ever used one, on a typewriter or on a computer, with any font.
I learned two spaced after a period in typing class. That was with real typewriters. Doubtful you'd have taken a typing class on a typewriter considering how young you are, peaches.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
So the big question of the day. Are we all talking about the same forum, or is this topic popping up on multiple forums? Cuz it happened not that long ago on another forum I'm on, too...

And for the record, I use two spaces. In my opinion, it offers greater clarity. Same as a serial comma in a list.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OMG, I'm shocked, shocked, I tell you, that you can so easily dismiss one of the great cultural divides . . .

I don't even care if my hubby squeezes the tube from the end or just squishes haphazardly.

:D I thrive on chaos.

WittyandorIronic

Registered
Reaction score
I was just mentioning this in another thread, heh. When I learned typing it was on a computer, and I honestly never heard the double space concept until I had to start creating standardized reports. I only recently learned that it stemmed from typewriters (thanks for confirming, btw). Different strokes I suppose. :)

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
From what I understand, our standard punctuation is based on AP-style writing aka how they write in newspapers. It's double-space after a period, no comma in something like this, that and the other thing and so ona nd so-forth. I used to work as a newspaper and had an anal-retentive ass as one of the editors that would jump down my throat (a major feat since he was about 300 pounds) if I didn't fashion the article just right. Ugh. I learned two spaces when I type and it's just automatic now.

The bigger question is, what is the plural of mouse? I'm not talking about the animal, which is, duh, mice. I'm talking about the computer mouse. Do you have two computer mouses or two computer mice?

Oh yeah, tiolet paper overhand. If you have my dog, it won't make a damn difference if it's over, under or encased in steel.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Well, I don't recall the AP Style Guide mentioning anything about spacing, but I'll double-check when I get home.

Either way, as a professional desktop publisher, one of the last things I do with a document is do a search and replace for double spaces changing them all to single space.

Status
Not open for further replies.