• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Writers House

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
I'm probably in for a wait, too - just submitted my revisions last Tuesday. I'm going to try to mess around with other projects in the meantime!

SamIAhm

Registered
Reaction score
Well, since I've joined in I might as well keep you guys up to speed :)

E-Query to Kristy King 22/01/2012
E-Ject from Kristy King 31/01/2012
E-Query to Brianne Johnson 31/01/2012
Keeping my fingers crossed :)

Bibliophile

Registered
Reaction score
Well I received my response from Beth Miller today. She very politely and professionally refused. She said that she enjoyed it and she definitely saw potential, but it wasn't exactly what she was looking for. She also encouraged me to continued querying other agents. Which is exactly what I plan to do. Time to check my list and see who's next.

Ruth2

Tam, na Koncu Drevoreda
Registered
Reaction score
And on Friday I got a rejection from Mr Zuckerman's reader. A "Dear Author" letter... nothing personalized in it. Oh well, c'est la vie. :)

lady_K

It's all about the F.A.M.I.L.Y :)
Registered
Reaction score
I just like how Kristy King has my first name
That's all :)

nash

nom.nom.nom.nom
Registered
Reaction score
Three weeks to pass on full from Kristy King. Really detailed, personal letter. Good stuff.

Sorry for the R, Bethany. But it's great that you got a detailed personal letter. Best wishes on finding the right match.

K has my full now. I sent it a couple of weeks ago and am still in waiting mode. Fingers crossed.

BethanyCM

Something clever here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bethanycmorrow.com
Best of luck, nash! She's a fast one - at least at this point in her career - so you shouldn't have to wait much longer. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, too!

nash

nom.nom.nom.nom
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Bethany! I hope it's a fast reponse (and positive). :)

Will post my reponse time here.

SamIAhm

Registered
Reaction score
Still waiting for a reply from Brianne Johnson....I'm very nervous! Any day now, it'll be waiting for me.

Cloudcastles

Can't draw castles, will write 'em
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking of querying Jodi Reamer on a fantasy novel. Since I'd have to email her assistant, should I address the email to him or to her?

Also, other than Jodi Reamer, is there anyone else in Writers House that I should consider? I would ideally like an agent that can handle sci-fi in addition to fantasy, and also YA (for future books).

Thanks.

Jolly-Boo

Please, call me Boo
Registered
Reaction score
Have you looked at all of their publishersmaket pages? Or at least for those who have one available?

I've read this entire topic. A lot of good things have been said of many agents; both kind and professional, both with quick responses and helpful. Jodi has been known to take up to several months to respond, sometimes a year in some cases. Sort of weird.

IsabellaCranford

Happily stuck in the 19th century
Registered
Reaction score
Here's my Daniel Lazar story:

8/3/11: EQ
8/3/11: full requested with a very nice note
8/5/11: synopsis requested
8/11/11: rejected with comments, compliments, and a request to see new draft
11/17/11: new draft submitted
11/18/11: new draft rejected

At least he's fast, and he did give me comments for the first round. For the second, my new angle didn't resonate with him.

I admit that this was hard (he actually wanted to see a revision!). I ended up reevaluating first three chapters, and revised them heavily. It's too bad I didn't do that before; he might have made it to some of the strongest material, which is now much closer to the front. But I think I needed this rejection to see how slow the start had become. Too bad, though, that he didn't skip forward, but yes, I know, agents are busy people, and the first few chapters need to be perfect. I wish I could send him the new beginning, but I suspect he'll feel it's too pushy. That said…it was in November. Hmm. Have enough months passed for me to try him again, d'you think?

Now I have the revised version out to Susan Ginsburg, to whom I sent five pages on 2/12/12. Haven't heard back yet. I hope I'll hear something, but wonder if she has enough of a client list to bother responding. I'm guessing she responds quickly if she wants it (that's been my experience will all agents who have requested a partial or a full). Though I know it's too soon right now, how long I should wait before querying another WH agent (such as, hem, Daniel)? A month?

Thanks in advance for any advice! Oh, and by the way, the novel's a historical thriller.

TudorRose

not napping... brainstorming!
Registered
Reaction score
Also, other than Jodi Reamer, is there anyone else in Writers House that I should consider? I would ideally like an agent that can handle sci-fi in addition to fantasy, and also YA (for future books).

Thanks.

Merrilee Heifetz has a number of sci-fi and fantasy clients I believe, including Neil Gaiman, Sherrilyn Kenyon and recent sci-fi YA debut author Beth Revis.

According to querytracker she only accepts snail mail subs though.

http://querytracker.net/agent.php?agent=214

IsabellaCranford

Happily stuck in the 19th century
Registered
Reaction score
Why did he request a synopsis two days after a full?

I haven't even written one. No one here has ever mentioned Lazar requesting one.

Looking back, I suspect he makes up his mind pretty quickly, i.e., after a few pages or a chapter or two (that certainly seems how he looked at my revision). That he requested a synopsis was perhaps a sign that he liked it a bit, but was perhaps on the fence, and wanted to see what I'd do with my premise. He certainly didn't request a synopsis the second time around, which is a shame; he'd have seen how much I'd changed it.

J.B.Kantt

Debut Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jbkantt.blogspot.com
Hey everyone! I'm new to AW, and I just wanted to try and get in on the conversation if that's okay :)

I queried Ms. King on February 16th, 2012, and I'm still waiting for a response.
Fingers crossed that I hear (hopefully good news) from her soon. :)