The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
James D. Macdonald said:
You mean like here, here, and here?

"I'm H.B. fr****n' M*****!"

You gotta be kiddin' me! I thought PA claimed it didn't publish 13 year olds. These kinds of rants are beyond embarrassment. Just when it seems I can't possible think any less of PA and their mouthpieces, I find something worse on this thread.

Ed,

"Shemp" works for me, but doesn't that mean someone has to knock off Curly?

Rob

Kevin Yarbrough

Will write for peace of mind
Registered
Reaction score
And this quote from Shemp as well.

"I try to be more appreciative than an annoyance because I need them when I need special help."

Does that mean they pay your therapist bills?

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
Kevin Yarbrough said:
And this quote from Shemp as well.

"I try to be more appreciative than an annoyance because I need them when I need special help."

Does that mean they pay your therapist bills?
Kev, I think corporate policy is that they'll pay $1.00 toward your total bill -- which could, of course, run into the millions by the time they're done screwing with your head.;)

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Ed Williams Y'all want to really hurt HB where it counts? Want to make him pay for all his misleading activities and lies? Just do one simple thing... [size=3 said:
Totally ignore him, no matter what he says or does on the PA boards...[/size]

Absolutely! How did you become so wise? :Lecture:

Patricia

California Dreaming
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
lindylou45 said:
And poof, it's gone. Poor Mr. Platts' post has been pulled again. :Ssh:

That could be true, but it could also be because one "esteemed" member of the group went on a rant about the thread being invaded by people from the private boards. Then there was dialogue on the private boards about "war" between "north and south" boards. Platts has done far worse than what he posted yesterday and was not pulled. There were some really cruel and vindictive things said on that thread. It should have been pulled long before Platts came on. There were many threads pulled today--I think Info may have been on a long coffee break.:sleepy:

Kevin Yarbrough

Will write for peace of mind
Registered
Reaction score
I found this at the old board and thought it kinda funny.

"...this is one episode you're not going to be able to explain away. Your publisher is a fraud, and more and more people are becoming aware of that fact.

"THIS IS A FABRICATION TO MAKE PA LOOK BAD.
So now he says 'I' wrote this because he can see his house and belongings flushing along with his book sales.
-See, the problem is that if I don't reply, he can't erase the reply and leave my address coding in the message as the originator. I'm no dummy despite what Kevin thinks.

I have the original and Kevin, you are soooo busted. What kind of car do you drive? My family needs a second car. Kiss it goodbye for upsetting me."

Oh, really? Believe me, PA doesn't need fabrications to look bad, they are doing an up and up job of doing that on their own. And why do you feel the need to threaten people who don't agree with you?"

So I upset him with Purple huh? I think PA tried the legal route and it didn't work. Guess you can't have my car HB. Ohhh, so sorry. Hey, I will loan Purple to you if you need a way to get around?

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Bwhahahahaha

Voldeprint - that's priceless! I can't call anyone "He who must not be named," because there's another author out there, who is even more vile and despicable than Shemp. This guy self publishes b/c he's so in love with his words that he won't let an editor even close to them, and has little to no grasp of the English language. And he trashes anyone who tries to help him.

Anyway, he's mean, he's vicious, and he's attacked friends of mine - so he has been given the title of "HWMNBN'd"

Does this mean that Uncle Jim is now Professor Dumblejim? I vote for Jenna to be Professor McGonajenna!

SeanDSchaffer

Kevin Yarbrough

Kevin Yarbrough said:
Sean, you may be right, but maybe not. Telling them they are not what they think they are doesn't make them believe it any more, it just makes them mad that you don't think it. When I was doing my rounds in Psych clinicals I had a patient that thought I was God. I would tell him I wasn't, he would say OK and then say my name but a few minutes later there he was walking behind me, eyes down at the ground.

You know, Kevin, I hadn't thought of it that way before. I know when people don't agree with me that something deep down inside wants to get back at them because they don't think the way I do. It's really a struggle to keep that kind of mentality down inside of me. Based upon that, I definitely see your point.

Plus there may be the issue that the individual in question doesn't know there's a problem. I was diagnosed Schizophrenic at a very young age, but I didn't learn about it until I was twenty. After that it took many years for me to accept that I had this problem. I just wonder if CBM has such a problem and if he does, does he recognize it?

The truth be known, there are so many possibilities with this issue, and I know we can't delve into this person's mind without him telling us about it himself. But being a mental patient myself makes me think about these things a lot. It's just something that makes me go 'Hmmmm.'

Ed Williams

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.ed-williams.com
A historical fact....

...for those of you who peruse this thread - Moe, Curly, and Shemp were brothers and co-existed for a number of years, so yes, there can be a Moe-randa, Larry, Curlem, and Shemp all at the same time...

Dean Vernon Wormer:
The time has come for someone to put his foot down. And that foot is me.

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Kevin Yarbrough said:
Shemp's quote:

"PA is a new company that is growing really fast. Burning bridges with them was stupid because the door is closing and it may have been as far as your talent could take you."

How long can PA be considered a "new" company. They were established in 1999. Granted, that's certainly a shorter period of time than most "traditional" publishers, but come on, PA is no longer a new company! :Smack:

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Ed Williams said:
...for those of you who peruse this thread - Moe, Curly, and Shemp were brothers and co-existed for a number of years, so yes, there can be a Moe-randa, Larry, Curlem, and Shemp all at the same time...

Strictly speaking, you are indeed correct. I was, however, speaking about the fictional Stooges, their on-air personas if you will. In this context, there are always only three, no more... no less; kind of like a Sith Lord, except with an apprentice and a shoe-shine boy. Thus, there can be no Shemp until Curlem is no more!

Rob

Greg, honey...is it supposed to be this soft?

Patricia

California Dreaming
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Sheryl Nantus said:
:Hammer:
Remember: Friends don't let Friends be Scammed by PublishAmerica.

:scared:

Sheryl--we have a small drive through Java Stop in my town--on their cash window they have: "Friends don't let friends drink Starbucks!"

I think of you when I stop for my fix! :Sun:

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
I don't know how PA could get green slime on an email.

Just as a reminder, make sure you list those other addressees on the same email. In other words, don't make copies to each. List the FTC, BBB, Maryland AG, and the media in the CC line of your email because you want whoever receives it at PA to see who else is reading the email you sent.

Just that alone might save some of those low-paid employees from the local college from a life of crime by convincing them to quit and find other employment. Remember, PA can't function as well without employees. If Larry, Willem, and Miranda are determined to follow their present course of ripping off writers, then they should do their own dirty work and not involve others who are simply in need of work.

So, if any of you still haven't received your rights back yet, this is the time to send an email to PA with those extra addressees listed for everyone to see. By the way, don't use the BC line in your email since that's meant to hide who else is receiving it.

Remember, if PA responds, do a reply email and add in any addressees they omit from their response. Don't let PA off the hook. The point is in, it's time to set the hook in firmly so they can be reeled in to justice.

Ed Williams

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.ed-williams.com
Y'all are going to laugh out loud...

...but at the very top of my screen there are ads for Three Stooges DVDs - it must be an omen!

laughing-smiley-007.gif
laughing-smiley-013.gif

Julian Black

Will Read Slush for Food.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianblack.blogspot.com
SeanDSchaffer said:
I'm wondering if the person we're talking about could possibly have a mental issue? I'm not trying to excuse what he does, but it does occur to me that that might be why he's not being convinced of his publisher's problems...My case manager explained this, saying that the worst thing you can do with a delusional person is tell them they're wrong. This is because they're so convinced they're right that they'll do anything to defend their delusion.
I don't think it's a mental health issue in this case so much as a self-esteem issue. To criticize his publisher's core business practices comes awfully close to home.

To be a PA author and admit they are a scam means you have to face the fact you've been duped. That's a terrible reality to face, and a lot of people will try to avoid that as long as they can. After all, a new PA author has already made a lot of noise to friends and family about getting their book accepted by a real, "traditional" publisher. It's proof that they are an honest-to-goodness author. It's a dream come true.

To go back to everyone and say, "My publisher is really just a vanity press, and it turns out they will publish just about anything. I have no more a career as an author now than I did before I submitted the manuscript to them," has got to be one of the most hurtful and humiliating things that can happen to an aspiring author.

Most people fade away out of embarrassment when they have been scammed, not just by PA but by any professional con artist. Grifters at any level count on their victims' embarassment and refusal to speak up. A small percentage of people get angry, tell their stories in public, and make their complaints known.

But once in a while, you run across people who insist they have not only not been scammed, but that the scammers are providing a great opportunity, and only the "losers" who, for whatever reason, couldn't "cut it" complain.

I've encountered people like these, and after hanging out here and reading threads on PA's message boards, I think Ciggy Boy is one of them. I don't know if his books are any good or not--I haven't read any excerpts from them. Maybe they could have been published by a reputable publisher; maybe not. I don't know.

What I do know is that the people I've met who defended their favorite scammers and charlatans all have one thing in common--they have a pattern of making bad life decisions. They aren't stupid, but whatever they are defending is usually the latest in a list of schemes they have fallen for. They are the kind of people who talk as if their big break is just around the corner, and they are going to stick it out while all the crybabies and doomsayers bail out. They also tend to like being part of an "inner circle"--it makes them somebody.

I don't really know anything about Ciggy Boy's life beyond what he has said on the PA board and in his forays onto this one--maybe he's the exception to the rule I've observed. [shrugs]

I personally don't see any other way to 'get back' at the person we're talking about than to ignore him -- if he believes he's the greatest thing since sliced bread, the one thing that will hurt him the most will be to ignore him.
If "getting back" at him is your thing, ignoring him completely will suffice. But I don't see that there is any way to not talk about him on this forum. If he spouts ill-informed, self-serving crap, somebody needs to point out that Mr. Emperor is, as usual, butt-naked.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
Christine N. said:
Voldeprint - that's priceless!

I can't truly take credit. Someone in a writing chat came up with a Volde Variation last night. (That sounds like something Glenn Gould would play. I wonder if there are 32 of them?)

Christine N. said:
I can't call anyone "He who must not be named," because there's another author out there, who is even more vile and despicable than Shemp. This guy self publishes b/c he's so in love with his words that he won't let an editor even close to them, and has little to no grasp of the English language. And he trashes anyone who tries to help him.

Anyway, he's mean, he's vicious, and he's attacked friends of mine - so he has been given the title of "HWMNBN'd"

Hmmm. He wouldn't happen to have written an SF novel with a scene where French characters speak in horrid French accents?... And then posted the excerpts on a site that takes about 30 years to completely download?...

Christine N. said:
Does this mean that Uncle Jim is now Professor Dumblejim? I vote for Jenna to be Professor McGonajenna!

I wanna be Hermione! Actually, I wanna be Hermione Gingold. And thanks to the cold I had earlier this year, I nearly have her voice. :D

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
I found exactly one email address for the FTC that may not be active any longer. It's [email protected] . For the BBB of Greater Maryland, try [email protected] . For the Md AG's office, try [email protected] and possibly [email protected] . As for the press, pick whatever you favor.

For those of you in other countries, you'll have to do your own research, but I do recommend that you include someone in a trade regulatory position there to receive your emails to PA.

Also, it would be a good idea to preface your message by pointing out to PA's Author Support that you are including those other addresses in what you write to PA.

By the way, even if some of those email addresses I found are no longer valid, PA won't have any way of knowing since any bounces will come back to you and not go to them. ;)

Last edited:

Julian Black

Will Read Slush for Food.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianblack.blogspot.com
AnneMarble said:
I wanna be Hermione! Actually, I wanna be Hermione Gingold. And thanks to the cold I had earlier this year, I nearly have her voice. :D
Alright, if we're doing the Potter thing, I definitely want to be Professor Snape. I'm mean enough when provoked, and my wardrobe is already color-coordinated...[glares]

cwgranny

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janfields.com
AnneMarble said:
Hmmm. He wouldn't happen to have written an SF novel with a scene where French characters speak in horrid French accents?... And then posted the excerpts on a site that takes about 30 years to completely download?... :D

The last I heard, that guy...what was his book called...the Last Voyage of something or other, wasn't it? Anyway, last I heard, that guy planned to publish his epic with PA -- did he change his mind? I haven't been back to his site...at my age I just can't wait for those graphics to download, I'll miss my daily Geritol.

gran

Status
Not open for further replies.