New Member (YA fiction writer) saying hello!

iamvaliance

Crying my way through college
Registered
Reaction score
Hi! This is my first time on a forum, and man could I have used this when I was working on my first novel. I'm a 19-year-old YA fiction writer from Texas!

It's been super difficult for me to find other writers who are close to my age, and my grandmother is the only other writer I really know (and it doesn't really help when we write for completely different audiences). But regardless of age, I'm here with an open mind and hoping to make some friends!

I'm a lover of social media, (mostly twitter) so I'd also love to make some writing friends on there!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

cynreeda

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thegoblinkingdom.wordpress.com
Hi! I'm Cynthia, I'm also new.

Nice to see a young writer. I was actually 19 myself when I published my first novel. It was quite the learning experience. Have you been published?
What genres do you write for YA?

iamvaliance

Crying my way through college
Registered
Reaction score
Hi! I'm Cynthia, I'm also new.

Nice to see a young writer. I was actually 19 myself when I published my first novel. It was quite the learning experience. Have you been published?
What genres do you write for YA?

Hi! Wow, that's so inspiring! I finished writing my first novel last year at 18. I've been querying since December, but I regret most of that since I was completely unprepared. So I'm very unpublished at the moment.

I write contemporary YA fiction. My first novel is very issue-driven, so I kind of place it under family and relationships. I originally liked writing YA paranormal and science fiction, but I love a lot of different genres!

I'd love to hear about what you write!

cynreeda

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thegoblinkingdom.wordpress.com
Hi! Wow, that's so inspiring! I finished writing my first novel last year at 18. I've been querying since December, but I regret most of that since I was completely unprepared. So I'm very unpublished at the moment.

I write contemporary YA fiction. My first novel is very issue-driven, so I kind of place it under family and relationships. I originally liked writing YA paranormal and science fiction, but I love a lot of different genres!

I'd love to hear about what you write!

Yeah, I was pretty unprepared myself. I ended up publishing through a vanity publisher and didn't realize my mistake until I had my siblings telling me about all the typos that were in the book. But like I said, it was a good learning experience. My advice is to really do your research on whatever publisher you send to and be sure to have a few beta readers.

That's cool that you're into different genres. It takes skill to be able to write different genres.

I was pretty set in fantasy when I first started writing. The book I wrote is labeled YA fantasy. As I've gotten older, I've started reading other genres and started to dabble in writing sci-fi and even literary fiction. When I finish the revamp of my novel (and sequels), I may still label it as YA, but I'm not sure yet. I tend to get a little dark in my writing.

ghagler

Registered
Reaction score
I'm also a young writer (a bit older: just turned 23); yay for youth enthusiasm! I hope to eventually try a YA novel myself, though i'm currently sticking to mystery. Have to get the murder out of my system before writing about love :tongue I'm looking forward to seeing how your novel develops!

annapalooza

Learning about time management
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! Congrats on getting an early start. I still hadn't figured out that I was going to take writing seriously until a good decade later. Hope you find the forums useful!