Charlie and the Nature Factory [Warning: Stunningly Beautiful Large Photo Images]

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
:( so horrible about that osprey. I can't imagine being a bird and never flying again. I hope they find the asshole(s) responsible and stop him before he hurts anymore animals.

I love the raccoon shots! I've always liked the little bandits, so cute.

I also enjoyed Haggis' photos, pretty awesome. And cute.

And on the theme of cute...Tidbit! aw... :)

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
On an even sadder note, I came across this news story today, which says in part: There would be hell to pay, in the worst possible way, if I came across such behavior in my wanderings. And that's not just talk, either.
:mad:

I hate people sometimes. What joy do you get causing an innocent animal pain and suffering? If they were to find this idiot, they should shot him in both arms and see how he likes it.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I don't see it so much as being an animal defender as simply helping to protect wildlife in general from sheer stupidity and malice. I'm friendly with several park rangers who have told me stories of animal abuse they've witnessed that are almost too unreal to believe. It's incomprehensible the lengths some people will go to to harm animals, even within protected environments.

I think we need greater consequences by way of laws to prosecute offenders. Dogs and domestic cats are well protected against abuse, but what about every other animal? Just last year a man was arrested for killing a Florida panther, a highly endangered species, and was given probation and a fine. The man's defense was that the panther's presence interfered with his hunting and was scaring away prey. If he'd killed a golden retriever instead for the same reason, he'd have been given a stiff jail sentence.

So there's not much point in contacting Fish and Wildlife, or any other agency, when the abuse I witness can be dealt with swiftly and help put an immediate end to the assault. And I truly don't ever fear for my own safety: almost without exception, those who harm defenseless animals are the most cowardly among us and never put up much of a fight when confronted.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys. :)

No Tidbit sighting yet, but I'm pretty sure he'll be out sunning himself soon today ;) It's gonna be 80.

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello nature thread.. how are you tonight? :)

(Haggis'ses's avie is grossing me out... hope he changes it soon..)

In the mean time, I'll post a few pics from my recent wanderings..

gnarlyroots.jpg

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A collection of beach treasures..

beachglass2.jpg

Coastal cliffs...

sand3.jpg

I searched for dragon fossils, but only came up with these..

fossils1.jpg

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, LY! Yeah, the cliffs are only about 3 inches tall... I got reeeeally small to take that shot.. :D

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
Swachski, I love that photo of the coastal cliffs.

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
You have an artistic eye. My two favorites: Love the texture of the roots, and the perspective of the "cliffs."

This ^^^

you have a talent for catching scenes at just the right perspective...very inspiring for an artist. You make me want to break out the paints often with your photos, Swach. They are awesome. :)

Last edited:

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I just like to look at things from unusual perspectives, and trust me, most of the photos are deleted. That's the beauty of digital cameras. You don't have to be thrifty with your shots, and one or two are usually bound to be decent. Plus a little cropping works wonders too... Now if only I could adjust the focus after the fact...

HistorySleuth, I haven't considered selling any or entering contests. Like SK, I take them for my own enjoyment, and lately to share here. :)

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
You have an artistic eye. My two favorites:

gnarlyroots.jpg

sand3.jpg

Love the texture of the roots, and the perspective of the "cliffs."

Those are my favorites also. The perspective in both is outstanding. In the first, the tangled branches juxtapose perfectly with a placid background and creates a sense of dramatic struggle against a seemingly peaceful setting. The cliffs, on the other hand, appear to represent the passage of time and how it carves the earth into ever changing forms.

I admire those photos to the point of being envious (in a good way) and appreciate swachski's special knack for translating her natural surroundings into accessible, moving photos that we can all enjoy here. :)

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Ol' Charlie, looking good as he sunbathes along a narrow stretch of the lake. I hadn't seen him completely out of the water in some time:

11-15-12066-SM.jpg

11-15-12068-SM.jpg

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You know, we should do a calendar. I know SK was talking about doing one... Maybe we could vote on pics and runners up could be the smaller photos on the calendar, by the days. Maybe we could donate any small profits to Audibon.

Maybe I'm crazy :) But I'd love to see these pics on my wall. And maybe some writer minded inspirational quotes.

Ps- was there a calendar??

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Charlie looks like he is smiling.
He must have been happy to see me. :)

A funny thing about the second photo is that I used flash, which created red-eye that surprised me from that distance. I corrected the color before posting his image here.

You know, we should do a calendar. I know SK was talking about doing one... Maybe we could vote on pics and runners up could be the smaller photos on the calendar, by the days. Maybe we could donate any small profits to Audibon.

Maybe I'm crazy :) But I'd love to see these pics on my wall. And maybe some writer minded inspirational quotes.

I would donate any of my photos for such a cause. Someone else would have to do the work of creating and selling the calendar, though, and ensure that none of the proceeds would be used for personal gain.

In addition, as much as I admire the Audubon Society, I'd prefer to see our efforts benefit AW instead. I can't speak for Mac, but I know the gesture would be appreciated and the funds put to good use to help maintain this site.

Ps- was there a calendar??
Not yet.

Last edited: