demented character lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
another conversation starter.

its quite obvious that eventually a character is going to say something that is terrifyingly demented, out of contex. what are your favorites that you have gotten your characters to say.

my two are

Ma'Hanade "this city has many remains of people who died at the hands of the witch in it." stuff happens "My favorite two are over here."

Nivarion (his name changes) "Im going to lay this out for you xarme, if my daugter is alive and well, you will come to ariam and be a slave to the empire for the rest of your days" stuff happens "If she is ill, then i will put you in the air lock and jettison you" more stuff "I have seen a history of torture so long that my world does not remember the beginings of my memory, and i am straining to think of what i will do to you if she is dead."

ZeroFlowne

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisalgoo.com
I haven't written anything that I can remember, so let me throw some lines out that I'll use in the future.

"Have you ever seen one of our villages, Andi?

We keep our homes dry by nailing shingles to our roofs.

We keep our people safe by nailing criminals to crosses."

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
Here's one:

Insibielle, after a (somewhat verbal) battle with her maid Dorta, to her uncle: "Do you think it's mean of me to think those Quaalians did us all a favor when they cut out her tongue?"

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com
Good Lord, probably EVERYTHING my characters say is demented when taken out of context. ;_; *wishes she had the patience to look up examples*

I once had a character say something along the lines of "Manabozho, I just made a deal with a bird the size of an airplane. I rather think we're BEYOND surprised, by now." I know there must be tons more, including of the "scarily demented" rather than "just weirdly demented" type.

Good idea for a thread, though.

Kirby

Destined to serve and roam.
Registered
Reaction score
I couldn't help but jump in, tehuti88 after reading your signature. I live in the U.P. of Michigan and my favorite place in the summer is Mackinac Island. Last August, my husband and I stayed at the Chippewa Hotel. We asked for a complimentary upgrade and received a two-room suite overlooking the Lake.

Okay, so not very demented sounding, but have you ever been up here in the winter? Now that's wicked.

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
Ma'Hanadel (he says a lot of demented stuff, and this one was in context) Laugh now, but after this, i will hunt you to the ends of the earth and hold your face in an inch of water till you drown.

Inarticulate Babbler

Pissin' Everyone off, 1 at a time
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Just because I disemboweled her doesn't mean I don't like her," said Stan.

"Death kinda puts a serious wedge in your relationship," said Frankie.

"Hey, she's way more tender and caring now. Plus, she doesn't talk so much."

Karen Duvall

Chalice the Hatchet Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karenduvall.blogspot.com
I don't have much in the new WIP yet, but I wrote these yesterday:

"I don't think my toast rack has what it takes to be a killing machine."

And then this part of a conversation that comes a bit later:

"So you've come here to rid the city of its demons."

Nodding, she turned to face him. "Yes."

"And you want me to help you."

She tilted her head to one side. "Is that a problem?"

"Lady, I think your corset's laced too tight because you're not getting enough oxygen to your brain."

Makai_Lightning

Love Addict
Registered
Reaction score
My characters say odd things even in context.

off the top of my head, something along the lines of, "I should've just eaten her. Screw it."

But I'm sure better examples would exist somewhere.

DisenchantedDoc

Give me believable dialogue
Registered
Reaction score
"I snapped their necks so they wouldn’t feel the pain of death and took care to not rip their flesh when I caught them."

mekolo_diesne

I see you hiding over there.
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere over the raindbow, in the merry old land
"Planning your little schemes, are we?" asked Travysa, a wicked grin tugging at the corners of her mouth.
“I know you would rather that it would take a big scheme to beat you, but yes. So sorry to have disappointed you.” I smirked.

Last edited:

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
Well...you asked:

“There to go for you. Constantinople.”

“That’s not Constantinople. That’s Bordeaux.”

“No, is Constantinople.”

“Look, I know Constantinople when I see it, and that’s not Constantinople.”

They were standing on the deck, Henry and Captain Dimi, staring at the city that was definitely not Constantinople.

“How for you to say is not Constantinople!?”

“For one thing, Constantinople is on the sea, and this is a river.”

“But this just river side of Constantinople. How you know other side not sea side?”

“Because this is the Garonne river. That city would have to stretch for fifteen hundred miles for the other side to be the sea.”

“Look is there.” Dimi pointed. “Church of St. Sophia.”

“That’s a warehouse.”

“There is Golden Horn.”

“Barge dock.”

“Straits of Bosporus.”

“Drainage ditch. Do you really think you can get away with this?”

Captain Dimi draped a friendly arm around Henry’s shoulder. “Crazy visions you got. Come with me to barber, we bleed you, you see right, everything good. I buy for you first leech.”

Last edited:

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score

its quite obvious that eventually a character is going to say something that is terrifyingly demented, out of contex. what are your favorites that you have gotten your characters to say.

my two are

Ma'Hanade "this city has many remains of people who died at the hands of the witch in it." stuff happens "My favorite two are over here."

Nivarion (his name changes) "Im going to lay this out for you xarme, if my daugter is alive and well, you will come to ariam and be a slave to the empire for the rest of your days" stuff happens "If she is ill, then i will put you in the air lock and jettison you" more stuff "I have seen a history of torture so long that my world does not remember the beginings of my memory, and i am straining to think of what i will do to you if she is dead."

hehe, holy resurect.

I really do write better now, don't I?

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
A character was extremely frustrated after his former girlfriend gave him grief about his relationship with another woman. When a (male) friend questioned him, somewhat disapprovingly, about the same woman, he shot out, "Jealous?"

The friend almost took him at face value...

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
I had a new one come out when writing on my re-write. It's a cold winter night, there is a battle being fought by moon light.

My character Ter'Mehna is like an exhibition shooter with a bow, and covering my two characters I'Sal and Ma'Han. she starts to get cold and shake a little.

Ma'Han: Teh'Mehna, are you shaking?
Teh'Mehna: Just a little, I'm fine.
Ma'Han: here take my coat.
Teh'Mehna: I said I'm fine.
Ma'Han: then don't shoot so close to me.
Teh'Mehna: FUCK YOU! ASS HOLE. (puts an arrow right past his ear)
I'Sal: hahaha she said fuck.

for I'Sal's character see the word "Douche."

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
“That is my Automatic Shepherd,” said Gervasius with pride. “Have you ever rubbed wool onto amber, and then noted that the amber attracted bits of parchment?”

“Not recently, no-“

“According to the Aethiopica of Marcellus, the Hesperans were able to generate more of this force of attraction by means of a lodestone device like this one. Now, as you can see, I’ve placed a stuffed sheep here by the door. If my calculations are correct, once we fire this baby up, it should attract the sheep’s skin, and the sheep should fly across the room to the device. Imagine it. Sheepdogs, obsolete!”

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
“That is my Automatic Shepherd,” said Gervasius with pride. “Have you ever rubbed wool onto amber, and then noted that the amber attracted bits of parchment?”

“Not recently, no-“

“According to the Aethiopica of Marcellus, the Hesperans were able to generate more of this force of attraction by means of a lodestone device like this one. Now, as you can see, I’ve placed a stuffed sheep here by the door. If my calculations are correct, once we fire this baby up, it should attract the sheep’s skin, and the sheep should fly across the room to the device. Imagine it. Sheepdogs, obsolete!”

Ha ha ha ha ha he he he.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Well...you asked:

“There to go for you. Constantinople.”

“That’s not Constantinople. That’s Bordeaux.”

“No, is Constantinople.”

“Look, I know Constantinople when I see it, and that’s not Constantinople.”

They were standing on the deck, Henry and Captain Dimi, staring at the city that was definitely not Constantinople.

“How for you to say is not Constantinople!?”

“For one thing, Constantinople is on the sea, and this is a river.”

“But this just river side of Constantinople. How you know other side not sea side?”

“Because this is the Garonne river. That city would have to stretch for fifteen hundred miles for the other side to be the sea.”

“Look is there.” Dimi pointed. “Church of St. Sophia.”

“That’s a warehouse.”

“There is Golden Horn.”

“Barge dock.”

“Straits of Bosporus.”

“Drainage ditch. Do you really think you can get away with this?”

Captain Dimi draped a friendly arm around Henry’s shoulder. “Crazy visions you got. Come with me to barber, we bleed you, you see right, everything good. I buy for you first leech.”

That reminds me a classic Les Luthiers joke:

"I would never believe that New York was like that"

"That's because we're arriving to Canary Island"

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
The crowds that had shuffled their way north were now compacting into two lines of travelers, waiting before the gates for the chance to enter. Soldiers with pikes walked down the line, asking questions.

“Name?”

“Roger the Hermit, plus one,” replied Henry promptly.

The pikeman stared at them dubiously. “We’ve got all the filthy beggars we need right now. Maybe your master could come back in fifty years?”

“But your honor, my master is of exceeding holiness! He passes miracles all the time!”

“Entertainment, eh? Why didn’t you say so? What’s his line?”

“Speaking in tongues.”

“Brek-ek-ek-ex! Brek-ek-ek-ex! Ko-kwax! Ko-kwax!” babbled Percy obligingly. Maybe he was getting the hang of this after all.

The pikeman sighed. “That might play in the sticks, kid, but this is Paris. He got anything else up his sleeve?”

“Uh...healings?”

The pikeman's expression cleared. “Now that’s always good for a franc or two. My cousin, he’s got the leprosy –“

“Master Roger healed a blind puppy last week. We’re trying to work our way up. Got any sick goats?”

Last edited:

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
Ma'Hanadel: Uh, Nivarion... You do know that the term 'disarm' means to take their weapons away, right?
Ni'Varion: It does?
Ma'Hanadel: yea, it does. well i guess we don't have to worry about them escaping, or fighting us again, or questioning them, which was our purpose here.
Ni'Varion: Well thats what you get for thowing a pacifist kernik into a battle.
Ma'Hanadel: WHY IN THE HELL ARE YOU CARRYING A SWORD IF YOUR A PACIFIST!!!
Ni'Varion: I'm an Aram, we all carry swords.
Ma'Hanadel: Your a pacifist from Ariam...

hmm, i think i need to explain that last one. Ariam is a nation that is dedicated to war. every citizen has to serve in the millitary in full for two years after they become mature. as soon as they are able the learn how to use spears and bows, when they become thirty they learn sword. after they have served their two years they have to report to training once a week and are "on call" soldiers.

eLfwriter

Indiscriminate Tree-Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
:roll: this thread made me laugh! Ted, I love the 'working up' on the miracles. Hah. Goats. :ROFL:

I guess I should pitch in with a little exerpt of my own ...

The piercing wail that had been raised over the Castle disappeared with an unhealthy ‘ulp!’, and Dragon swished its tail happily, mowing down what remained of the east bulwark.

“Well,” said Septimus, standing up and rubbing his bruised rump as he appraised the giant winged lizard that was licking its jaws happily. “There goes Cici.”

“She wasn’t really good at this sort of thing anyway,” Quentin pointed out. “I mean, you’d think by now she’d realize that she was a bloody implet, not some banshee. That scream does nothing but annoy everyone in earshot.”

“True, but she was our sister,” Septimus said. “Aren’t we obligated to be sad or something?”

“Nah,” Quentin said, dusting the dirt off his blue clothing. “We don’t have to be sad until she’s fully digested. That gives us another four hours of happiness, at least.”

“Sounds fair,” Septimus conceded, and returned his attention to the general destruction of the east wing.

Last edited:

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com

my two are

Who hated their child enough to name him (her? it?) xarme?

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
from my fantasy WIP (pregnancy has got my MC a little bit stressed out):

"Let me put it to you another way, Frankie," she said with an exasperated sigh. "I don't want to go have lunch on Mitchell's yacht, because I am enormously pregnant and I sweat like a cow. My feet hurt, I have to pee exactly every fifteen minutes, and if there is an international prize for being the world's crankiest human being, I would win it hand's down. But if you make me go to lunch today, I will have to accept that prize from within a maximum security women's prison, where they will have sent me for quadruple jerks-on-a-yacht-icide, a crime of passion committed in the throes of lunchtime."

Status
Not open for further replies.