Not open for further replies.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Sass, I'm sorry about the phone.

Grrargh, have a great time at Comic-Con! I avoided the NYC edition last year, I'm tempted to go for it this year - but the SoCal one is the cool one :D

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maryn, don't forget the sunblock! ;)
If only I'd read that before going to the beach yesterday. Each chair has this canopy, so I was in full shade except for my feet and lower legs, which I sunscreened. I got burned right through the canvas, fairly badly.

Remeber, kids, shade =/= no UV

Maryn, red and sore

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Doggies! Glad the phone turned up, too.

Maryn, whose burn did not blister

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
it was in my car the whole time. I took the doggies to the vet for a spa day and when I went to pick them up it was with their leashes. *sheepish grin*

I went to hang out with a friend today for a 'girl's day'. She invited me to her house and we went swimming. Most of my friends are at AW. It was interesting to be with a real person.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A little human contact, with the right human, is also nice, yes?

I used to have this purse with a stubborn zipper, so I didn't close it that securely most of the time. It let my phone slip out when we were waiting for a table at a restaurant which apparently lost our name and was seating people who'd arrived much later. We left fairly bent, only to find my phone was gone, so we had to go back.

They still hadn't called us. As I remember, we got some kind of fast food, even though we were dressed up.

Maryn, whose phone would be no great loss, actually

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm back from a week of camping (scout camp) with no internet or phone reception. It was hot and humid each day (high 90s with saturation-level humidity) with no relief, but cooled at night. Little Fizzy earned three merit badges and solid rank advancement, so it was a success, and he survived the constantly sweatwet clothing but with a nasty case of prickly heat. I held up well for an old guy. Even the dining hall was nasty hot, not to mention the canvas tents. I came out with one toe blister and down about three pounds. I enjoyed the computer and phone silence, and I'm now in much better hiking shape (it was a 3 mile round trip hike to the dining hall for each meal--with up-and-down elevation).

I'm needing some hot tub time.

Rich, with wilted snorkel

Russ Mars

Interesting little planet you've got here.
Registered
Reaction score
These mentions of scout camp sure bring back some Boy Scout memories—one in particular. When I was twelve, our troop’s trip to the rugged Sespe Wilderness area, 50 miles north of Los Angeles, turned out to be a much bigger adventure than we bargained for. No rain was predicted that weekend, so when we set out on the ten-mile hike from the trailhead into the river canyon, our packs didn’t include tents, only sleeping bags and other requisite gear. Arriving at the bottom of the canyon, we set up camp near the shore of Sespe Creek…actually an undammed river…and slept under the stars in only our sleeping bags.

I remember awakening not long after midnight to the feeling that someone had cut a wide hole in the side of my bag, inserted a fire hose and turned it on full blast. An unexpected storm had developed, and the torrential rain resulted in a flash flood, water rushing across our entire campsite. We had only minutes to abandon all our gear, except for a few flashlights we managed to grab, and run a hundred yards back up to the trail as the previously relatively calm “creek” turned into a raging river.

Within a half-mile of beginning our escape, it was apparent that much of the trail, the only way out, had washed away in the deluge that persisted. The left edge of the trail gave way to a 100-foot drop straight down to the river white-water coursing over jagged rocks, the right edge of the trail being against a towering rock-wall cliff. For ten miles, we literally inched our way along in the dark, our faces scraping against the cliff-face, our outstretched arms and hands clinging the best they could to the rock wall, sidestepping the entire distance along the muddy, slippery trail that was, at most, two-feet wide and as narrow as a foot in many places. As we slowly progressed upward out of the river canyon, the dizzying distance between our trail and the river below increased, and so it continued for hours through the night.

Miraculously, none of the two-dozen or so members of our troop fell that night. Finally, as the dawn broke, the trailhead and our parked cars came into sight, and everyone breathed a grateful sigh of relief. I’m sure all of us, believers and non, had silently prayed most of that night. Someone had managed to make the trip out with a few small packages of food in their jacket pockets. He shared the food as we huddled safely inside our cars, sopping, shivering and spent. Nothing ever tasted as good as those cold, soggy strawberry Pop Tarts!

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Great story, Russ. I have many fond memories of scouting trips, but none as exciting as that one.

I can already see a change in Little Fizzy--a dose of independence sprinkled with responsibility. Hopefully it will all cook into a good man as he matures.

Last edited:

Russ Mars

Interesting little planet you've got here.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Sassy and Fizz.

It's interesting that some of the toughest, most unpleasant times in our lives, only in retrospect get labeled "adventures."

Little did I know at age twelve that that was to be one of the easiest, least scary adventures I'd experience in my life.

Last edited:

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
This morning my heart is breaking for the parents and family of the 2 1/2 year old girl who drowned yesterday. The Ohio River looks so pretty that people not experienced with it have no idea how dangerous it can be, especially to children. It only takes a second's distraction for even the most careful parents.

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My area is high on tragic stupidity this week. The one that's puzzling me most happened quite near where HOL met last fall. A drunk driver decided it was a good idea to pass a slow-moving sprayer-combine (the farm equipment vehicle), crossing a double yellow line, to collide head-on with a van of thirteen Amish people and their hired driver, touring area farms to view technology they might consider for their own farms. Police and rescue workers described the crash as 'horrific,' the van essentially embedded in the underside of the combine. Five dead, nine more hospitalized. Senseless. The drunk driver was, of course, uninjured.

Maryn, suggesting a look at that photograph

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
All that bright little potential is now gone. Her family must be going through hell right now.

BeatrixKiddo

Is it summer yet???
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If only I'd read that before going to the beach yesterday. Each chair has this canopy, so I was in full shade except for my feet and lower legs, which I sunscreened. I got burned right through the canvas, fairly badly.

Remeber, kids, shade =/= no UV

Maryn, red and sore

Ouch. Sun Precautions clothing. I swear by 'em. Best sun protective clothing I've ever tried. They're expensive but the stuff works and I never get burned. (easier to deal with then constantly putting on sunblock after a few hours)

bummer about being burned Maryn.

I found my phone. see the photo!
<---------

Yay phone!
I bet one of the dogs hid it in your car. They like to mess with our heads. Never trust a cute puppie around electronics. ;)

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning. I'm nearly done with travel laundry. But I have a problem. Although I bought only two T-shirts, I cannot fit about seven T-shirts in my drawers. They've thickened or something. So, do you like the way they're carelessly stacked on the nightstand? Or should I move them to the dresser? And if I do that, then what about the mateless socks which were on the dresser?

Maryn, mystified

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
My area is high on tragic stupidity this week. The one that's puzzling me most happened quite near where HOL met last fall. A drunk driver decided it was a good idea to pass a slow-moving sprayer-combine (the farm equipment vehicle), crossing a double yellow line, to collide head-on with a van of thirteen Amish people and their hired driver, touring area farms to view technology they might consider for their own farms. Police and rescue workers described the crash as 'horrific,' the van essentially embedded in the underside of the combine. Five dead, nine more hospitalized. Senseless. The drunk driver was, of course, uninjured.

Maryn, suggesting a look at that photograph

So disgusting. When is the message going to sink in!?

ETA: It's a wonder anybody survived that mess!

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Good morning. Maryn, I giggle every time I see that new avatar of yours. (-;

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hiya, Kevin. It's not even my foot. (I'm one of those people whose calluses let them walk on asphalt on a summer day. Handy, but not attractive, even as feet go.) It's our son's 'toothpick' foot, size 13 narrow.

Another of the injured Amish died yesterday, the morning paper said.

I'd like to see a new harshness in the laws regarding drunk/drug-impaired driving. It will catch a lot of people who would have been super-cautious and made it home safely without incident, but it might reduce stupid tragedies like this one.

But in the end, new laws won't make the difference. Stepping up to personal responsibility will. Readily available and affordable public transportation will. Social condemnation for every level of drunken driving will.

Maryn, not usually this serious

Status
Not open for further replies.