Meeting with agent - what to expect?

SophieM2401

Registered
Reaction score
OMGOMGOMGOMG :D

I have a meeting with an agent. She's read my book and says she really likes it, and a couple of her colleagues who are more the target market love it too.

The agency is a biggish player and they've got some really fab, prestigious clients, some in my genre, so on the face of it I'm absolutely over the moon with them. She seems really nice on the phone, responded quickly to to my pitch etc.

So I'm seeing her next week. What's going to happen? I'm hoping she's going to offer to represent me, but I suppose she might also want me to R&R? If she offers rep do I sign there and then or think about it for a bit?

I am so excited I've lost the power of rational thought.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so excited for you! Well done!

:partyguy:

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Sophie, how exciting :snoopy:

Here are my thoughts. This is clearly an offer to get to know you more and see if you click in person. I'd go in with a list of questions for the agent about how she/he works with their clients, what they are thinking for your book (maybe editors they'd be interested in submitting to, what comp titles they think of for your book etc) and also you can totally ask what the meeting will possibly lead to - is this an R&R or offer??

If it is an offer, I'd take the contract home and really read it and understand all of the lingo. I'm not saying it won't be straight forward but there sometimes may be little clauses you might not catch the first read esp when you're super excited to sign away :)

GOOD LUCK SOPHIE!!

annetpfeffer

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annepfeffer.com
Congratulations! The agent's obviously got a serious interest in you. Do you have full manuscripts out to other agents? If you do, I'd look into the protocol with that. If this agent gives you an offer, everyone will expect you to give the other agents a chance to make an offer as well.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Smiley has it correct, I think.
This agent wants to find out if they can work with you. So be prepared to discuss what other books/ideas you have. Be realistic about your writing career prospects (do not declare that you'll quit your job the instant she gets you a deal!) and be flexible about possible rewrites. The agent wants to know that you're not going to be a nightmare to edit and a total diva about deadlines.

amschilling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amschilling.com
How exciting! Yippie!! :hooray:

I think Smiley is right on. They love the book, and want to make sure all the personalities match. That's amazingly encouraging! Definitely go in with written questions, because chances are you'll be flustered. We all would be (they'll expect that, though, so don't let it freak you out). The questions will help you focus, and show them that you've got some business smarts re. publishing. And if they do ask for an R&R, they're still very serious. Agents don't call in potential clients for a meet and greet lightly.

Most of all--go in feeling like you belong there! Big name authors are people, too. Don't be intimidated that they rep a few. Just be excited for the opportunity, know you worked hard to get to this stage, and be confident in your writing. :D

SophieM2401

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all so much. I do actually have full with another agent, who's had it for six months - funnily enough I sent her a nudge today, and she hasn't responded, so I will wait on her reply but let her know if I receive an offer - that's fair enough, isn't it?

I don't have a job anyway :cry:so that's not an issue. Will definitely take in a list of questions.

You are all really kind, thanks again.

theshovelbum

Steady Diet Of Nothing
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations.....really. I am excited for you. Threshold moment.

Spell-it-out

I'm gonna give all my secrets away
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Great stuff, I hope it goes well, let us know.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Big congrats, and wishes for success. Methinks you'll do fine, unless maybe you're a clone of Charles Manson. This is a step most of us here will never have, or even have a good chance at. I live so far from any agents that the idea of actually getting invited to a meeting with one is incomprehensible. I might as well be living on Neptune.

caw

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How exciting!! Congratulations! Let us know how it goes. :)

idontknowwhatimdoing

Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Question: Is this a common thing??

I thought there was just "the call" and then after you're repped there's a meeting or whatever.

But before you're offered rep?! I'd be so terrified.

SophieM2401

Registered
Reaction score
idontknowwhatimdoing - nor do I! And yes, I'm bricking it. I'm in the UK - maybe meetings with agents are more the done thing here?

Anyway, thanks again for the comments and good wishes, and on a far more important note, WTVF am I going to wear?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
What to wear? You're going to a business meeting; the agent is hoping to meet a professional writer they can have a long-term business relationship with. Business casual sounds like the order of the day.

SophieM2401

Registered
Reaction score
What to wear? You're going to a business meeting; the agent is hoping to meet a professional writer they can have a long-term business relationship with. Business casual sounds like the order of the day.

Oh lordy. I have casual, and I have fashun. I don't have business. What is business casual what it's at home anyway? <panics> Thank you :)

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Oh lordy. I have casual, and I have fashun. I don't have business. What is business casual what it's at home anyway? <panics> Thank you :)

Go with the casual, something not too threadbare that you're comfy in. Don't get too freaked - it'll all be fine. They won't turn you down because you're wearing jeans and sweater ;) It's the output of your mind they're after.

By the way, I went to a Margaret Atwood reading years ago, and she was wearing a track suit.

amschilling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amschilling.com
Ditto'ing Bushrat. Formal business isn't needed. Just think of what you'd wear to a writers conference. Or a book signing, once you land said agent and get a book deal. Comfy, casual, but not something you'd paint the house in. That's businesswear for writers, right? :)

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
I'd second the nicely put together, but casual look. A nice pair of jeans, a dressy top, and a jacket/cardigan for over top, plus accessories to pull you nicely together.

Wear something you feel good, confident, and comfortable in.