• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Writers House

loriwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Just got a request for my full (paranormal romance) from Susan Ginsburg's assistant, Bethany Strout, from a query I snail mailed in July. Yeah! Let the waiting begin.

redlady1

Registered
Reaction score
Just got a R from Alec Shane (Jodi's assistant) on a query I sent 10/23. Oh well, I'm querying Merrilee Heifetz on Friday (snail mail).

jsouders

Registered
Reaction score
For all of you who had requests for fulls, did you send a .doc? Or a .RTF?

x_Kathy_x

Me fail English? That’s unpossible.
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe I missed it, but what happened to Lindsey Davis? Is she no longer working as an agent?

jsouders

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have recent dealings with Simon Lipskar? He repped a book slightly similar to mine but I'm wondering if he's too much of a long shot for me.

Nothing is a long shot. If he's repped a book like yours before. Send it to him. What can it hurt? A rejection is the worse cast scenario and who knows he might like it enough that he wants it. If you don't, you'll never know.

Newriter1

Registered
Reaction score
Lindsey Davis left agenting for personal reasons - to get married and move abroad, I believe.

Suzan

Living the Dream...
Registered
Reaction score
Protocol question

Feeling green as Gumby, here, but going to ask anyway. Is it proper to follow-up with an agent to make sure that your manuscript (sent via e-mail) was received? Anyone know the protocol?

Last edited:

Renee Collins

Plotting . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Website
midnightmeditations.blogspot.com
Feeling green as Gumby, here, but going to ask anyway. Is it proper to follow-up with an agent to make sure that your manuscript (sent via e-mail) was received? My concern is that what if it got lost in cyber, and I waited and waited...and waited. You get my drift! Anyone out there know the protocol?

While your anxiety is definitely understandable, I wouldn't act on it just yet. Some agents might see it as being a nuisance. If after three to four months you've had no response, you could send them a status check email. But I wouldn't bother the agent before that time.

Good luck!

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
While your anxiety is definitely understandable, I wouldn't act on it just yet. Some agents might see it as being a nuisance. If after three to four months you've had no response, you could send them a status check email. But I wouldn't bother the agent before that time.

Good luck!

Ditto. Good luck!

Suzan

Living the Dream...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm taking your advice. Thank you, ladies!

shinta

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know the answer but I had this experience where I had my full out to five agents, WH being one of them. I was waiting to hear back from them for four months, very patiently, when I got an offer for representation from elsewhere. I contacted all the agents who had my full and found out that one of them had not even received my ms. Meanwhile, I was filled with hope, the whole time, that I'd hear back from them.

My story ends well because the offer was a good one, I accepted it, and did not bother sending that full again. But it raises the question of whether everyone you sent your full to really actually receives it or not. So much gets lots in cyberspace, why not your full to your dream agent?

rosepddle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
karendenise72.blogspot.com
Feeling green as Gumby, here, but going to ask anyway. Is it proper to follow-up with an agent to make sure that your manuscript (sent via e-mail) was received? My concern is that what if it got lost in cyber, and I waited and waited...and waited. You get my drift! Anyone out there know the protocol?

I guess I'll play devil's advocate, but whenever I sent a full via email, I waited about a week and sent an email to make sure they got it. Granted, I only had to do that twice because with everyone else, I got an email the next day saying it was received. It's really a judgement call, but I don't think agents mind a follow up on a full--query, no--but I really think they don't mind on a full. Let's just say, the two that I sent a follow up email to see if they got my full, couldn't have been nicer. Hope that helps! Good Luck! :)

lateran_xiii

longs for a bungalow
Registered
Reaction score
in the bookstore, putting Narnia back in the prope
Website
www.valnon.org
In my case, I sent a partial to Ms. Heifetz's assistant in early October, and in the request letter she said I would hear back in 4-6 weeks. I waited seven weeks, and then I sent an email to make sure my submission was received. That way I was able to confirm that it had gotten there, but I didn't feel like I was being an unreasonable pest. It's also a reminder to the agent that you're still interested in their representation. ^_^

(In response I got an email back very promptly that it had gotten there without a hitch, and I would hear something in the next two weeks. I haven't heard anything yet, of course, but with the holidays and their workload I'm not really surprised. I'm continuing to work on other projects and leads in the meantime.)

thmafi

wobbly...
Registered
Reaction score
does anyone know if steven malk is a "no response = no" agent..?

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
In my case, I sent a partial to Ms. Heifetz's assistant in early October, and in the request letter she said I would hear back in 4-6 weeks. I waited seven weeks, and then I sent an email to make sure my submission was received. That way I was able to confirm that it had gotten there, but I didn't feel like I was being an unreasonable pest. It's also a reminder to the agent that you're still interested in their representation. ^_^

(In response I got an email back very promptly that it had gotten there without a hitch, and I would hear something in the next two weeks. I haven't heard anything yet, of course, but with the holidays and their workload I'm not really surprised. I'm continuing to work on other projects and leads in the meantime.)

I got the same 4-6 week response time on my requested partial from her assistant. It took just over 3 months when I sent a status request email last week (rejection).

loriwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Just got a request for my full (paranormal romance) from Susan Ginsburg's assistant, Bethany Strout, from a query I snail mailed in July. Yeah! Let the waiting begin.

Ms. Ginsburg sent one of the most detailed and personalized rejection letters I've ever received, explaining what she loved and what she had issues with. Will definitely put her at the top of my A list the next time around (if there is one - I've still got several fulls out with other agents *fingers crossed*).