Resurrecting The Dead--the All New Horror Hounds Weekend Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Help. Panic attack. I'm trying to work up the courage to submit 'Breath' but I'm paralyzed. Kick me. Please. Jam the submission form into my hands, force me to fill it out.

Don't make me bite your ankle.

I'll do it. I will. :e2teeth:

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:scared:

dang it, Haggis, there ought to be some sort of warning before I pop into a thread and find that new av of yours staring me in the face...

with eyes just seeming to follow me everywhere... :eek:

:D

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Help. Panic attack. I'm trying to work up the courage to submit 'Breath' but I'm paralyzed. Kick me. Please. Jam the submission form into my hands, force me to fill it out.

have I mentioned I used to play soccer? :D

I'd tell you to bend over, grab your ankles, and provide a proper target, but Haggis would probably bite your fingers and you'll need those to sub it.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
You short story writers get the anguish in constant little doses. The death of a thousand cuts, one for each sub. We novelists get in one long anguished wait. Water torture--each day a drop...drop...drop as we wait.

This is why the sweet and innocent don't play the game.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Nuts. I missed the deadline. They asked me to resub in July. Okay. Not a problem. I'll just try it someplace else.

GAH! I just noticed where you subbed and was about to tell you. I slipped in under the wire on the 30th. Got to read those guidelines.

But I appreciate your attitude. Send it somewhere else. NT will be back in 3 months if that story is still looking for a home.

You short story writers get the anguish in constant little doses. The death of a thousand cuts, one for each sub. We novelists get in one long anguished wait. Water torture--each day a drop...drop...drop as we wait.

This is why the sweet and innocent don't play the game.

Short story writers have our own long anguished waits. I have one story that's been waiting over 150 days for a rejection. I've had them waiting as long as 300 plus days.

One of the differences, I think, is that novelists can sub to a number of agents, while short story writers typically can only send stories out to one pub at a time. On the other hand, novelists have all their hopes and dreams riding on one story. That's the kind of potential angst that keeps me writing the shorts.

Regardless of what we write, your observation about the sweet and innocent is spot on. You better be willing to take a lot of abuse, and you better be able to blow it off. Writing ain't no kid's game, that's for sure. (Except, I mean, for our awesome YA teens who kick ass).

Shail

mostly normal
Registered
Reaction score
GAH! I just noticed where you subbed and was about to tell you. I slipped in under the wire on the 30th. Got to read those guidelines.

But I appreciate your attitude. Send it somewhere else. NT will be back in 3 months if that story is still looking for a home.

Yah. I read the guides, but I forgot that today is already May. Got caught in a time ripple.

Y're right about the keep trying thing. I tried Absent Willow too. We'll see.

Tburger

Wahoowa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tcmccarthy.com
I was struggling with the re-write of my novel. At 84K I just couldn't think of anything that would bump it into the 90-100K range. Then, lo and behold, I learned about how you should estimate word count by (a) making sure you have one inch margins (b) courier 12, and (c) 25 lines per page. After a little MS Word magic, I came out to 357 pages, which is just under 90K! So now I don't have to come up with anything extra; the characters are developed, plot is complete, and I can do the final chapter and be done. Phew.

Of course then there's editing, the query letter, the synopsis (one page and multi-page), and the marketing plan (if the agents reject me and I have to submit directly). Someone want to tell me why I'm doing this again?

Shail

mostly normal
Registered
Reaction score
Of course then there's editing, the query letter, the synopsis (one page and multi-page), and the marketing plan (if the agents reject me and I have to submit directly). Someone want to tell me why I'm doing this again?

Because you have a story to tell, something to say. I'm currently tangled in rewrites. Keep going. You'll get it where you want it. And don't give up on yourself. As I'm slowly learning, it's all about attitude. "Some will, some won't, so what." If a story is worth reading, there's someone out there that will publish it.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Little undead doggie, I subbed the dogwood story last July. Still waiting to hear. :roll: I believe you told me then that the place I subbed to often doesn't respond for an entire year.

Doesn't bother me. If they don't take it, it will make an excellent subplot for my mystery series.

Dolores, much sympathy. Your dual anguish entitles you to extra helpings of marinated psychiatrist BBQ and extra margaritas, you know.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Little undead doggie, I subbed the dogwood story last July. Still waiting to hear. :roll: I believe you told me then that the place I subbed to often doesn't respond for an entire year.

Doesn't bother me. If they don't take it, it will make an excellent subplot for my mystery series.

Dolores, much sympathy. Your dual anguish entitles you to extra helpings of marinated psychiatrist BBQ and extra margaritas, you know.

Oh. I don't remember where you said you were subbing to, but whoever it is, it's obvious they're enjoying it so much that they don't want to share it with others. That's terribly petty on their part. The story deserves a wider audience.

BTW, this marinated psychiatrist seems to be a little tough. Perhaps we could entice a nOOb or two in here.

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
Glory, power, wimminz and scads and scads of money? :Shrug:

You can have my wimminz. I'll be happy with the glory, power, and scads and scads of money.

Posting my total for the week since I probably won't get any more writing in until Monday evening.

Goal was for 1000 words to bring me up to a total of 10,900. Got in a bit more than that, my total count is now at 12,400 and change.

My goal for next week is 1500 words, bringing me up to 13,900.

The last 1000 words I got in today - you know, if it weren't for this whole responsible adult thing, I could get this story out much, much faster...

Last edited:

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
You can have my wimminz. I'll be happy with the glory, power, and scads and scads of money.

Posting my total for the week since I probably won't get any more writing in until Monday evening.

Goal was for 1000 words to bring me up to a total of 10,900. Got in a bit more than that, my total count is now at 12,400 and change.

My goal for next week is 1500 words, bringing me up to 13,900.

The last 1000 words I got in today - you know, if it weren't for this whole responsible adult thing, I could get this story out much, much faster...

*takes Laurie's wimminz, digs a hole and buries them in the back yard*

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spikeo.bravejournal.com
Many kudos and chocolate-covered cheerleaders to you subbers!! I haven't thrown myself to the torment in some time. Long or short fic subs can turn a teenager gray in nothing flat. I should know (except that I'm not a teenager anymore but have the gray!)

I have been adding to the word count. Punched out another 1800 words this morning putting me just over 6300. I think I'm starting to lose the reluctance and after strangling my internal editor have managed to make positive numbers instead of excuses. Yay me!

Status
Not open for further replies.