Crocheters - Q hook?

aixsponsa

This is not Kelly Kapoor Story Hour
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennygaines.wordpress.com
I just got a big ol' Q hook. I've always used little hooks and just discovered the wonders of larger sizes. My question for you is: if you use a Q hook, what do you make with it? A scarf? Tote bag?

I did a single crochet with three different hooks (Q, N, and I), and took a picture:
http://t.co/F0aWihUmEf

That blue thing I made with the Q hook was my first attempt using such a big hook, that's why it looks sloppy! I found working with the huge, loose stitches to be a real challenge.

Last edited:

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't tried anything with a Q hook yet, though it does look like fun!

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I use an F hook for almost everything, regardless of what the instructions call for. I don't think I have used one as big as a Q. I have done several afghans with two or three strands, and I think I used an M or N. I know it was the smallest that would easily accommodate the number of strands.

Working with multiple strands isn't that hard where the yarn is in your hand and on the hook. I found the problem was keeping the skeins/balls separated. Take a one gallon plastic milk jug. Using a box cutter, cut off the side where the handle is at the 'shoulder', leaving the spout. Put your yarn in the jug and run the end out through the spout. Use a separate jug for each skein. Easy peasy.

MM

GingerGunlock

paralibrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorizedmusings.blogspot.com
I've never used a Q hook for anything (I think G is my typical preferred one? There's one size that I have like, 6 of). I think Q is what one might use if you wanted to make a rug? A big soft scarf or shawl would be nice too!

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
I used to have a Q hook... Same one as in your picture. :) No idea where it went though... Can keep track of a tiny lace hook but not one that big... No idea how I do it... :Shrug:

~Amber~

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
There is or was (I'm sure the patterns and others exist other places) a book of 'weekend afghans,' many of which were made with a Q hook and either a very chunky yarn or double strands.

If you google 'weekend afghan pattern crochet q hook' or some combination thereof, you'll get results - I just did but I'm not sure what you're interested in so... :)

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
heh I have all sizes too. Right now a D for embroidery floss. a 7 for some fine work and larger sizes for hats. :D

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
A rug with the Q hook would be neat! An afghan too... But right now my favorite hook to use is still my N.

I use N size for all my afghan work. N has to be my favorite as well.

And I have now solved my issue with what size hook to use to crochet a rug with some lovely wool yarn I have had forever.

Greenify13

Fair Maiden of War.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm an H person myself. :D

Largest hook I have is N, I think. Or something.

In any case, I was going to say that rugs would be great for Qs. Also, strip sheets.

Errr, strips of sheets. You know, slice up some sheets and make blankets or (hahaha) rugs with the strips.

Detour on topic, I apologize, I'm just excited and this thread is about crochet so I'm doubly excited...In any case, I'm designing a christening/baptismal gown and will start working with the thread crochet stuff. Fun, fun, fun! I think I settled on a 2mm or somewhere in that range. I'd have to look, I miss letters. :D
I guess I could have started my own thread, and maybe I will anyway. Just excited to see other crocheters about talking about crochet stuff!
Really liked that picture you put up. It makes me wonder about doing a blanket sized "filet crochet" diagrams but BIG! You know, the owls and flowers and other awesomeness. Like this as a big afghan.

chloecomplains

Pinkamena Diane Pie
Registered
Reaction score
I use my Q hook maybe once a year. It's good for big, lacy, shapeless sweaters (you know, the comfy ones). It's also good for big, lacy, shapeless, UGLY AS SIN sweaters. The bobbles it makes look like tribbles. It's pretty awesome. Also, there have been moments in my life when I've needed a scarf NOW (I have an odd sort of life) and they're great for that.

DragonLady

I am Queen of all I see. Heed me!
Registered
Reaction score
I've never used a hook that big but I think I did inherit one... Hmm. Anyway, I usually prefer a G hook, but I've been working with a J hook for this shawl I'm working on. The pattern called for a K hook, but I didn't have one of those. So J it was. I have 8 more rounds to complete on that one, just as soon as I find the time to run in and purchase another skein of yarn.

TheSassySister

Registered
Reaction score
No time to read through what everyone else had written so sorry if I repeat anyone. Though I have not done this myself, I usually use 00's for fine work you can use a Q for things like pot holders, place mats, throw rugs, ect. You will want to use scraps of fabric cut into 1 1/2" strips to 2". You can use strips cut on the bias or on the grain. Have fun!!