Calling all beaders....you whoooooo

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Nice lane stitch. I used that when I made a couple of fully beaded vests.

Let me know if you have questions on the loom. :D

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
Nice lane stitch. I used that when I made a couple of fully beaded vests.

Let me know if you have questions on the loom. :D

I will, it'll probably be awhile before I get to it though, I haven't touched my floor loom or my navajo looms in a couple of years now (sigh) just too many projects going on all at the same time.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Had any of you heard of the Battle of the Beadsmiths? I hadn't until yesterday.

Wow!

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
If anyone likes free beads (what am I saying of course you all do) I'd recommend signing up for Precosia Beads for Blogposts. now these are the more traditional rounded seed beads but I've been getting some free samples for the past 6 months or so and was informed today that I'm getting one of the BIG 1000 g packages!

I have no idea what colors I'm getting but who cares! Free Lovely Beads!

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Fiance just told me my box of beads has arrived! I can't wait to get home and fondle the pretties (don't tell me you wouldn't do the same!)
He even called me on skype to open the package and show me the goodies. Blues, ambers and creams. Lovely pieces.

I'll have photos--if my son can locate my camera later! :D

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
whoo hoo!

I shall soon be able to torch. :)
This week we had LOTS of rain. (almost 20 inches since the end of July) and our garage flooded. This weekend B and I had to clean it out before things started to mold and get really icky (it was somewhat icky already after a week of standing water and very warm temps--hey we had to work and it's been RAINING! lol)
So now, we can park a car in the garage again. Oldest and i will straighten out a corner and i can get the studio set up. Of course I'll be on the Hot Head until we can get some O2 set up but that's fine. I need to learn how to mess with glass again anyway!

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Those look delicious. I'm going to have to sign up. I just signed up for Bead & Button Magazine's 'bead soup' challenge, but that entry can be held for a year or more before they contact me (if ever).

ETA: built a fire under my butt and signed up. I can totally do a blog post for them.

Last edited:

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
If you like loom weaving and are on FB you should really join "The Bead Loom Room". Might take a bit to join but today I won a nice loom in a little mini contest. You can also win the beads to make projects.

:) Fun fun

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Alas, I am neither on Facebook nor a bead-loomer. Thanks for the heads up, though.

awwww :(

but there's lots of groups on beading of all sorts, metal work, pmc and all sorts of other things. great people and some who aren't so great.

if anyone would like the links just pm me.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
If anyone likes free beads (what am I saying of course you all do) I'd recommend signing up for Precosia Beads for Blogposts. now these are the more traditional rounded seed beads but I've been getting some free samples for the past 6 months or so and was informed today that I'm getting one of the BIG 1000 g packages!

I have no idea what colors I'm getting but who cares! Free Lovely Beads!

Wow! Thanks for posting this awesome link! My fiancé has been teaching me the craft for a couple of years now and this will be a great way to get some supplies without having to wait for his project 'leftovers'.

:D

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Oh - beaders! Just who I've been looking for. I have a beaded necklace mystery.

I've been thinking about a necklace made for me back in elementary school (that was the late 60's probably) that spelled out my name when wrapped around my hand in a certain way. I'll attach a couple of photos.

beadnecklacecusmall_zps844b8d3e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

beadnecklacesmall_zpsaccb0a97.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The green beads are the ones that spell out the name. And I can't figure out how to make it work anymore. I've tried a few times, wrapping it around 2-3 fingers (my hand was much smaller when it was made) but nothing works. The green beads never spell out my name.

As I recall, I'd wrap it around my hand 5 times (5 letters in my name) and each row formed one letter. Or something like that.

Have you heard or or seen this before? I've been googling for answers for a couple of years but haven't found anything. I've checked Etsy to see if anyone makes these but no luck.

One of my schoolmates made them at home for several of us, but I never got the instructions. It just seemed magical.

I'd really like to know … it's part of my bucket list. ;)

Thanks for any suggestions or help.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score

I've been thinking about a necklace made for me back in elementary school (that was the late 60's probably) that spelled out my name when wrapped around my hand in a certain way. I'll attach a couple of photos.

The green beads are the ones that spell out the name. And I can't figure out how to make it work anymore. I've tried a few times, wrapping it around 2-3 fingers (my hand was much smaller when it was made) but nothing works. The green beads never spell out my name.

As I recall, I'd wrap it around my hand 5 times (5 letters in my name) and each row formed one letter. Or something like that.

Have you heard or or seen this before? I've been googling for answers for a couple of years but haven't found anything. I've checked Etsy to see if anyone makes these but no luck.

One of my schoolmates made them at home for several of us, but I never got the instructions. It just seemed magical.

OK, that's pretty nifty. I've never seen words on a string before, but now you've got me curious.

From the picture, it looks like there's one pink bead. Is that a starting point? There are also clusters of green beads - did those line up somehow?

You said you looped the string around your hand five times to see the letters. Did the letters read in the direction of the string, or opposite? In other words, is each set of green beads a horizontal slice across the five letters of your name, or a vertical slice across a single letter? I'm guessing horizontal. You could treat this like a cryptography puzzle. Write out your name on a piece of paper, use a ruler to slice it into five horizontal stripes, then try to match the bead sections on your necklace. Might give you the order at least.

Good luck!

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score

I don't think I've ever heard of that before. I see the green beads and some of them are in a cluster/knot sort of thing? I think this would require some research