Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
So I edit by hand, right? As I've been typing in, I've been checking the word count. When I got to the 4th chapter from the end, I had cut... 10,500 words. :hooray:

The good news? 1.) I stopped keying my edits and only did what I had to to match changes in earlier chapters. 2.) I get to put some words back in! :banana: Yanno, a little character development, a cute scenelet that I cut that lightened things up a bit.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Ish. :) Right now my eyes are dilated from the eye dr. I look like a demon from Supernatural. Got 2 diff. eyedrop prescriptions. Hopefully I'll un-dilate enough to finish tonight.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Edited 92 (out of 258) pages today, and I think my eyes may need some of Lily's eyedrops. Ugh.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
*passes eye drops and sympathy* I had to ask for an electronic file just to be able to read the tiny print comments that were on the paper copy

HappyCamper

I lurk, therefore I am
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all!

Received the first draft of my contract last night (my agent and my agency's contract person are reviewing it simultaneously). I kind of have mixed feelings because of two things:

1.) The contract reflects a title change. The original title is "Ever, @fter H@ppily." The title in the contract in "H@ppily @fter Ever." I'm not sure if this is a typo, a miscommunication, or really their intent. I'm actually open to a title change, it's just that the more I think about it, the "new" title seems to state for a fact that the book will end happily. Or is it just me??

2.) The other thing that bothered me was the inclusion of a "scene/historical setting" in the section where the work is described which is not included in the original book. I haven't received my editorial notes yet so I don't know if my editor wants to include it in the revisions. Hmmm.

Oh well. I know that this is exactly the purpose of a first draft and my "concerns" are probably just another set of mental monsters gnawing at my brain. Pesky little things. Sigh.

Did any of you guys have similar experiences with your contract?

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
HC, I didn't have either of those things in my contracts, although there was a paragraph that said the pub will work with me on the title and cover art, but they have the last word. (Okay, not baldly stated like that, but that was what it meant. :)) The rest of my contracts had basic stuff aobut timing and rights and such.

HappyCamper

I lurk, therefore I am
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Lily! I was too sleepy to go to the rest last night (13 pages or so), but I'm guessing the rest should cover the standard stuff as you said. I'm also sending it off to a lawyer friend to review. I'll probably be spending the rest of the week obsessing about how to word my "concerns" about the the title...I'm such a noob. :(

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
HC, I have to wonder if the title is a typo. Your title is quirky and original; the other has been used sooo many times...I'd definitely double-check. Ask your agent, maybe?

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
:e2thud: Slimmer and trimmer book (9750-ish words slimmer, to be exact)is off to The Editor! And just in time for Supernatural. This means I get to knit and save my still-slightly-dilated eyes. :D

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all!

Received the first draft of my contract last night (my agent and my agency's contract person are reviewing it simultaneously). I kind of have mixed feelings because of two things:

1.) The contract reflects a title change. The original title is "Ever, @fter H@ppily." The title in the contract in "H@ppily @fter Ever." I'm not sure if this is a typo, a miscommunication, or really their intent. I'm actually open to a title change, it's just that the more I think about it, the "new" title seems to state for a fact that the book will end happily. Or is it just me??

2.) The other thing that bothered me was the inclusion of a "scene/historical setting" in the section where the work is described which is not included in the original book. I haven't received my editorial notes yet so I don't know if my editor wants to include it in the revisions. Hmmm.

Oh well. I know that this is exactly the purpose of a first draft and my "concerns" are probably just another set of mental monsters gnawing at my brain. Pesky little things. Sigh.

My agent suggested changes to my first contract on a few issues I didn't pick up on. I had another concern about a generic clause that might have caused trouble with my specific story if there had been an editorial request for illustrations or maps from me, but it turned out not to be an issue.

phoenix

rising from the ashes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lizmichalski.com
Hi all!

Congrats on getting the contract! I like your original title -- I hope the change was just a mistake.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
My editor just gave me the biggest warm fuzzy. She said she glanced through the slim-and-trim FoH and said "it's looking great" "all the major work has been done" and "reads like a whole new book", :Jump:and she'll be back in touch when she goes through it line by line (which is still scary, but not paralyzing).

HappyCamper

I lurk, therefore I am
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on getting the contract! I like your original title -- I hope the change was just a mistake.

Thanks Phoenix! I hope so too!!!

My editor just gave me the biggest warm fuzzy. She said she glanced through the slim-and-trim FoH and said "it's looking great" "all the major work has been done" and "reads like a whole new book", :Jump:and she'll be back in touch when she goes through it line by line (which is still scary, but not paralyzing).

AWESOME!!!!:snoopy: So proud of you!!!

erinbee

slanted and enchanted
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinblakemore.com
Echoing ChaosTitan's yays, and adding one of my own: my agent wants me to go ahead with my second book proposal! (It had been a tentative "yes" before.)

So...now I write a second book proposal. And try not to freak out. :p

Also, I'm having some kind of second wind on the book promo front...went ahead and set up my Facebook page, updated my Twitter account, and prettified the blog.

How's everyone else this week?