So. Print books. Design. What should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

christwriter

Resistance is Everything
Registered
Reaction score
Website
creativedoubledipper.blogspot.com
Okay, this is not a "should I or shouldn't I" thread, mostly because I've obviously made the decisions I've made. I do plan on eventually doing a professional formatted and edited omnibus of my sci-fi series through Lightningsource, as soon as I have the funds to do so.

I do not have those funds right now. I'm saving up for it, but I don't have it now. And I want to see what releasing a print book will do to the e-book sales, because a lot of people have told me that it will do something. So I've elected to go through createspace one time, just to see what would happen. Because I don't know. And I'd like to.

And...personal reason? My grandmother wants to read my books. She's having health issues, and the computer equiptment she has can't run any of the e-reader apps out there. She's a huge sci-fi fan and I'd like to give her my books to read as books.

Justifications for my decisions aside, I do not expect to have a professional looking print book because I know that would be impossible for me to do on my own. I also do not expect it to sell. At all. (It's a 100 page book) But I DO want to have the print book, and I do want to make it as good as I possibly can.

So...uh...help?

Here is what I have put together so far:
-Paper is cream.
-Front cover is this image:
Starbleached--BN+-+Chelsea+Gaither.jpg

Only it's six by nine inches at 300dpi and not, you know, the forum size.
-Back cover is a chunk of the background, heavily heavily HEAVILY modified. And if it doesn't print well we go to plan B, but it looks like it will print well.
-The font is one that I purchased for commercial use (And I spent five hours tracking down everything I could to make sure that "licensed for commercial use" meant licensed for commercial use" so I'm confident that part is okay)
-I downloaded the template that Createspace uses for that trim size. (Mostly because I hate Word, every time I use it beyond the utterly basic stuff it piddles the carpet and whines, and if I don't have to set it up I can't screw it up)
-I want to keep the same feel throughout the book, so Title page is a graphic with the cover font and a tiny square of black and white grunge (think rust on a starship bulkhead) at five inches by two inches and 300DPI. If it prints bad I'll drop the graphics, but so far nothing's kicked it out as overtly bad.
-Chapter headers are graphics with the same font and the tiny square of black and white grunge. Chapters start with a drop cap. Every chapter begins on the left side of the book and ends on the right side of the book.

Headers look like this:

chap13small.jpg

only at 300DPI and not 72.

-I tried to fix all the obvious ugliness in the paragraphs, but I have no confidence whatsoever that I did a good job. I did have to screw with kerning and line spacing to get the chapters to fall on the right pages, so I've probably borked that to hell and back and will now have to fix it.

So. Everything is put together and I've ordered the proof. Probably prematurely, but that's what I did. And then my mother and I, and whoever else she can rope in at the print shop, are going to thoroughly kill the proof with a red pen, and upload whatever we correct as the final product.

But I don't know what I need to fix and what I don't. So as somebody who is totally clueless, who absolutely cannot afford professional help, who is going to do this no matter what...how else can I minimize the suck?

In other words...what do I need to be looking at?

Deleted member 42

I wouldn't mess with kerning if you're not a trained typesetter with access to expert fonts and Quark or InDesign or Framemaker.

Compare your proof to a pro book of a similar size and typography. How are they different? Is it a good difference or a bad one?

Also, kerning can be tricky depending on the font used and the actual font file used by the printer.

But you can mess with tracking, that is the space between words. Remember sometimes you want to increase it, and sometimes, decrease it. You don't want "rivers" of white space dragging your readers' eyes away from their place in the text.

You can add or drop lines (if you must) to avoid problems.

Watch for any use of single or double quote marks /apostrophes in presence of an em-dash; Word will almost always invert the quotation marks.

Keep in mind that a type size that isn't readable on a screen may be just fine in print; an 11 point serifed body face that's a standard book face will almost always be quite legible for body text (watch your line spacing; be generous) but will use less paper and have a lower cover price.

Watch for apostrophes in words like 'tis; they are often inverted.

Single spaces after terminal punctuation.

Look for widows and orphans.

Make sure that you only have indents on the first line when you want them, for new paragraphs.

Don't use tabs for paragraph indents or block quotes. Only use tabs for tabular data, that is text that would go in a table, or a chart.

Use non-breaking spaces between periods to create an ellipses (non-breaking after first and second peridos).

Make sure baselines line up on facing pages, and that you don't have an obviously short page with a huge gap at the bottom.

The Chicago Manual of Style in the front section has a decent crash course on typesetting.

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
I don't know if you are married to your cover image / title font and your question is only about typesetting, but I've been staring at the image for a long time and for the life of me I can't read your title or author name. :( After much staring at it I *think* the first part is "Star," but I have no idea what comes after that. I can tell your first name is "Chelsea," but I can't read the last name at all. I also can't read the chapter header you posted.

Maybe it would be different in print rather than on a screen, but I thought I'd mention it . . . sorry, it sounds like you've put a lot of work in, so I'm sure that's not exciting to hear . . .

Okay, this is not a "should I or shouldn't I" thread, mostly because I've obviously made the decisions I've made. I do plan on eventually doing a professional formatted and edited omnibus of my sci-fi series through Lightningsource, as soon as I have the funds to do so.

I do not have those funds right now. I'm saving up for it, but I don't have it now. And I want to see what releasing a print book will do to the e-book sales, because a lot of people have told me that it will do something. So I've elected to go through createspace one time, just to see what would happen. Because I don't know. And I'd like to.

And...personal reason? My grandmother wants to read my books. She's having health issues, and the computer equiptment she has can't run any of the e-reader apps out there. She's a huge sci-fi fan and I'd like to give her my books to read as books.

Justifications for my decisions aside, I do not expect to have a professional looking print book because I know that would be impossible for me to do on my own. I also do not expect it to sell. At all. (It's a 100 page book) But I DO want to have the print book, and I do want to make it as good as I possibly can.

So...uh...help?

Here is what I have put together so far:
-Paper is cream.
-Front cover is this image:
Starbleached--BN+-+Chelsea+Gaither.jpg

Only it's six by nine inches at 300dpi and not, you know, the forum size.
-Back cover is a chunk of the background, heavily heavily HEAVILY modified. And if it doesn't print well we go to plan B, but it looks like it will print well.
-The font is one that I purchased for commercial use (And I spent five hours tracking down everything I could to make sure that "licensed for commercial use" meant licensed for commercial use" so I'm confident that part is okay)
-I downloaded the template that Createspace uses for that trim size. (Mostly because I hate Word, every time I use it beyond the utterly basic stuff it piddles the carpet and whines, and if I don't have to set it up I can't screw it up)
-I want to keep the same feel throughout the book, so Title page is a graphic with the cover font and a tiny square of black and white grunge (think rust on a starship bulkhead) at five inches by two inches and 300DPI. If it prints bad I'll drop the graphics, but so far nothing's kicked it out as overtly bad.
-Chapter headers are graphics with the same font and the tiny square of black and white grunge. Chapters start with a drop cap. Every chapter begins on the left side of the book and ends on the right side of the book.

Headers look like this:

chap13small.jpg

only at 300DPI and not 72.

-I tried to fix all the obvious ugliness in the paragraphs, but I have no confidence whatsoever that I did a good job. I did have to screw with kerning and line spacing to get the chapters to fall on the right pages, so I've probably borked that to hell and back and will now have to fix it.

So. Everything is put together and I've ordered the proof. Probably prematurely, but that's what I did. And then my mother and I, and whoever else she can rope in at the print shop, are going to thoroughly kill the proof with a red pen, and upload whatever we correct as the final product.

But I don't know what I need to fix and what I don't. So as somebody who is totally clueless, who absolutely cannot afford professional help, who is going to do this no matter what...how else can I minimize the suck?

In other words...what do I need to be looking at?

christwriter

Resistance is Everything
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I have such a weird reaction to finished projects. I've never been happy. Ever. Not with anything. I got the proof and aside from the initial WHEE SOMETHING CAME IN THE MAIL I was kind of like...I thought this would be a bigger deal. Yes, it's my work in a book, but...uh, I did that. I did all of that. It happened because I made it happen, not because it's anything special. It's cool that it's there, it's kind of an accomplishment but...yeah, it's not like it's an actual thing.

But I have the same reaction to my artwork. IDK if it means the work itself sucks or if my attitude needs a major adjustment.

Anyhoo, I wanted to see the font in print, and yes, it needs to be replaced. Which is like OH SH*T because that means redoing the other two covers too. I think I've found something I like so I'm going to drop by the art forum for advice.

Deleted member 42

I think I've found something I like so I'm going to drop by the art forum for advice.

Before you upload it to Create Space, go to your local Kinkos/Print shop/Staples with the file and the fonts on a USB drive, and ask them for a single color Laser print copy; that will give you a fair idea of how the cover will look.

It will probably be $1.00 for the single copy of the cover.

Last edited by a moderator:

christwriter

Resistance is Everything
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Before you upload it to Create Space, go to your local Kinkos/Print shop/Staples with the file and the fonts on a USB drive, and ask them for a single color Laser print copy; that will give you a fair idea of how the cover will look.

It will probably be 41.00 for the single copy of the cover.

Well, the plan was to kick them over to my mother in the print shop in the morning. I'll probably end up trying a couple other fonts and effects settings. There's two or three other designers there (depending on if the boss is working or if she's playing Farmville today). The font is the biggest issue, but I need to do some color adjustments too, now that I've seen how much createspace's printer likes red.

...did you mean to type $41 dollars for the single copy? Because I can't see it costing THAT much. Unless we're talking glichee prints, and even then...

Deleted member 42

The font is the biggest issue, but I need to do some color adjustments too, now that I've seen how much createspace's printer likes red.

...did you mean to type $41 dollars for the single copy? Because I can't see it costing THAT much. Unless we're talking glichee prints, and even then...

Talk to someone there about color separation. Consider putting them on the phone with Lightening Source. If you have someone who really knows their stuff talking to someone who does production at LS, you can get very specific reccs.

I'm typing with braces on my hands, so the $ ended up being a 4.

$1.00 per color proof.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
image must be in CMYK for LS and CS. For digital, RBG is better. Make sure your image is CMYK before uploading, or you're going to be doing it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.