The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Ed Williams said:
...will soon be making a date with PA, how appropriate. Well, it stands to reason that an outfit that would screw its authors out of relatively small amounts of money could potentially do the same to Uncle Sam for big sums of money. I will love seeing how all this plays out.

And, in the category of most inane comments seen recently on the PA boards, we have this, the subject at hand is can an author submit a second book to someone other than PA:

If you want to read all of this glorious thread (I love how supportive these people are of each other), you can find it right here:

http://www.publishamerica.com/cgi-bin/pamessageboard/data/main/11846.htm

the ignorance displayed by some of the PA cultists is truly amazing...

guess they really don't ever venture beyond the PA boards.

pity.

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
T42 said:
I just got this in my email:
From : Jessica <[email protected]>Sent : Friday, March 25, 2005 9:29 PMTo : Subject : Non-exclusivity Amendment

You should shortly be receiving amendment paperwork that will make your PublishAmerica contract non-exclusive.

What's up? I think they might have a big srew up in the townhouse!
Mem, I'd send 'em back a 2-word reply -- "Bite me." Trouble is, Curlem just might do it.;)

Patricia

California Dreaming
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
PA and B&N

I still believe, as I questioned way back when, that they are including their online B&N sales in the total of sales they quote. I believe their letter is worded in such a way that they could claim that.

From the feedback I have received, the shipment time for B&N online is much faster than special orders placed with B&N brick and mortar stores.

People have told me that B&N have inflated the price to order my book from the physical store. Needless to say, those were embarrassing moments for me. Another person told me that a bookstore (Borders) told him that they would order the book if I would personally come in and introduce myself as author, to insure it was not a phony order to get my book stock. Impossible for me to do since it is in another state. Another store demanded a huge deposit.

All of the above were shortly after my release date and before I joined AW. However, I must confess to all of you--that stopping promotion of my book and letting it "die" is hurting me very much. I realize I must do it, but I have been so sad the last few days--and, in fact, I am crying now as I write this post. I don’t say that to invoke pity--only to convey how angry and hurt I am over the whole thing. And of course, I feel for the innocents that are trapped in denial and the hurt and anger they will feel when they allow the truth to sink in and see the difficulty involved in getting their rights back.

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
Sher2 said:
Mem, I'd send 'em back a 2-word reply -- "Bite me." Trouble is, Curlem just might do it.;)
:roll: Happy Easter Folks, I'm outta here. I don't want to hear any cheering when I leave....

Moondancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jc-hosting.net
Ann said:
All of the above were shortly after my release date and before I joined AW. However, I must confess to all of you--that stopping promotion of my book and letting it "die" is hurting me very much. I realize I must do it, but I have been so sad the last few days--and, in fact, I am crying now as I write this post. I don’t say that to invoke pity--only to convey how angry and hurt I am over the whole thing. And of course, I feel for the innocents that are trapped in denial and the hurt and anger they will feel when they allow the truth to sink in and see the difficulty involved in getting their rights back.

I'm so sorry, Ann. I wish there was something I could say or do to help you through this but I'm hopeless with finding the right words for such pain. Sending hugs, good thoughts, and postive energy your way.

ByGrace

Registered
Reaction score
Dear Ann,

You are not alone in this. I have cried too. I understand how much your book means to you. Hugs.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Indeed.
love01.gif
to all who need it.

Literary Lola

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
James D. Macdonald said:
The IRS took down Al Capone. I don't think Miranda, Larry, and Willem will present any problems.

If they try to cover up -- if shredders start sounding in Church Street -- it'll only go harder with them.
Ah, Jim, they don't have to worry about no stinkin' shredders. Larry, Curly and Moe drive around with a packed suitcase in the trunks of their cars. Their passports are up to date and they've all had their rabies shots. I hear Rangoon is nice this time of year...

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Whoa! Way to go, Spar! I think a big company like B&N saying that they are "aware of the situation," and having more than one author call to check on PA's claims is something. When the big boys yell, people listen. I think having them checking out PA is a very positive thing.

Yes, B&N probably is their biggest customer. Because when someone orders a book from the website, or special orders it, the order comes from B&N.. but not FOR the store.

So their claims have validity, but its' all semantics.

Renee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneebagley.com
I received the PA letter about non-exclusivity rights today also. I just emailed Jessica back to find out what the hell this is supposed to mean, especially considering I want out..

Patricia

California Dreaming
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Bonnie Gibson said:
Keep your chin up girl. Don't let um' get you down. They're not worth it.

Bonnie--true. However, tears are a way for me to release frustration, anger, and hurt. I usually go from tears to peace, knowing (in this case) that I was a victim, and will get fighting mad. But it will be a constructive anger--based on facts and knowing I am on the winning side. :Thumbs:

Renee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneebagley.com
Ann said:
Bonnie--true. However, tears are a way for me to release frustration, anger, and hurt. I usually go from tears to peace, knowing (in this case) that I was a victim, and will get fighting mad. But it will be a constructive anger--based on facts and knowing I am on the winning side. :Thumbs:

Ann, honey, PublishAmerica is not worth a single freakin' tear. I know it's dissapointing to be a vicitim of PA, but don't let them win! The best thing to do is work on your next books and try to get your contracts back. Either way move on and don't let them get ya down.

Hang in there fellow ex-PA'ers all is not lost!
:banana:
Renee

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
Literary Lola said:
Ah, Jim, they don't have to worry about no stinkin' shredders. Larry, Curly and Moe drive around with a packed suitcase in the trunks of their cars. Their passports are up to date and they've all had their rabies shots. I hear Rangoon is nice this time of year...
Curlem's houses in Amsterdam and Salamanca might be paid for, though.
PublishAmerica, Inc.

Incorporated in Frederick, Maryland

Member of the Association of American Publishers

Amsterdam

NL: Dopperstraat 1

3552 JA Bunschoten

Phone/Fax: 033 29 881 29
Baltimore

USA: P.O. Box 151

Frederick, md 21705-0151

Phone: 301 631 0747

Toll Free: 877 333 7422

Fax: 301 631 9073
Salamanca
SP: C. San Blas 1, 1B

37002 Salamanca

Phone/Fax: 923-265082

ByGrace

Registered
Reaction score
I've often wondered why PA books say in the inside cover

PublishAmerica
Baltimore

Frederick is not Baltimore

I've emailed some other authors to find out if they know what this 'noexclusive' amendment is. Not much yet.

Bonnie, I emailed you back kiddo.

KellyS.

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
T42 said:
Ha, Pa has ignored me for weeks now and suddenly I'm getting all these responses. I just sent my response a few minutes ago...sorry for the length on this..."basic letter".
Dear Ms. McDermott,

Yes, we do know exactly what Barnes and Noble buys from us. It is your
contact who is uninformed. Last week Barnes and Noble placed 235 orders for
530 books, including 12 that were apparently for stocking or events. The
week prior Barnes and Noble placed 193 orders for 475 books, including 6
that were apparently for stock or events. And again, please see the
testimonials on our site for further proof of this.

<snip>
make
good judgment calls and bad ones. One will like your book, the other may not.
My Response:
You all need to get your facts straight! This is NOT a local B&N
manager. This is a letter sent to me from the Main Office and I have
been sending them every letter you all send with the misinformation
you give and I am looking forward to hearing from them on your
knowledge of who is in charge of B&N. This "basic" letter you all
send to everyone is getting really old!
Memory McDermott

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 12:19:18 -0500, PublishAmerica Author Support

Oh for pete's sake! I zoned out a little way into their response. It's soooo much like mine. Do they use the same response no matter what your letter says? Reminds me of little kids. Argue with a little kid sometime and the same mentality will be apparent. Now, I'm not knocking little kids, have a few myself, but they have an excuse. THEY are little kids.

Mem, sorry for the frustration you have to be having.

Kelly

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
KellyS. said:
Oh for pete's sake! I zoned out a little way into their response. It's soooo much like mine. Do they use the same response no matter what your letter says? Reminds me of little kids. Argue with a little kid sometime and the same mentality will be apparent. Now, I'm not knocking little kids, have a few myself, but they have an excuse. THEY are little kids.

Mem, sorry for the frustration you have to be having.

Kelly
Hi Kelly, I just stopped in for a few moments. You must not have gotten further into the threads yet. Ha, I'm having a great time with them now. I called the IRS fraud department on them today and feel like we are going to get some good results from them. Have a great weekend all.......

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
I did like Sher and wrote Jessica back asking if this means that since I'm not going to promote my book one iota if I will be let out of the contract. I'll see what she says to me and mirror it against what they tell Sher.

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Ann said:

I understand how you feel, but it does get better as time goes on. Listen to Uncle Jim, Ed, Jenna and all the other wise people on this board. Write another book. Time really does heal. :Hug2:

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
ByGrace said:
I've often wondered why PA books say in the inside cover
PublishAmerica
Baltimore
Frederick is not Baltimore
Probably for the same reason they do everything else:
a) because they can
b) nobody knows

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
tinasamuels said:
I did like Sher and wrote Jessica back asking if this means that since I'm not going to promote my book one iota if I will be let out of the contract. I'll see what she says to me and mirror it against what they tell Sher.
Tina, I haven't gotten my keepsake letter yet. Waaaahhhh. If and when I do get it, though, trust me -- they'll wish they hadn't sent it. I hope you gave 'em an earfull!

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
T42 said:
Hi Kelly, I just stopped in for a few moments. You must not have gotten further into the threads yet. Ha, I'm having a great time with them now. I called the IRS fraud department on them today and feel like we are going to get some good results from them. Have a great weekend all.......
Mem, did Texas freeze over or something? You're up past dark! Something's got them spooked up in Frederick. I'd love it if it was the IRS. :Jump:

KellyS.

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
tinasamuels said:
OK James, Jaws, and etc... what does this mean:

Dear Ms. Samuels,

You should shortly be receiving amendment paperwork that will make your PublishAmerica contract non-exclusive.

An administrative error on my part caused a single copy to be mailed to you instead of the usual two copies which are normally sent for your convenience.

I am sorry for the inconvenience that I have caused. I will send you a second copy today through regular mail.

Thank you for understanding,

Jessica Lewis
PublishAmerica

Can you imagine that I got the EXACT same email today?

To: <>
Sent: Friday, March 25, 2005 4:16 PM
Subject: Non-exclusivity Amendment

> Dear Ms. Singer,
>
> You should shortly be receiving amendment paperwork that will make your
> PublishAmerica contract non-exclusive.
>
> An administrative error on my part caused a single copy to be mailed to you
> instead of the usual two copies which are normally sent for your convenience.
>
> I am sorry for the inconvenience that I have caused. I will send you a
> second copy today through regular mail.
>
> Thank you for understanding,
>
>
> Jessica Lewis
> PublishAmerica

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.