Feds Off the Hook for Wrecked $750G Ferrari

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Three cheers for sovereign immunity!
A federal judge in Detroit has dismissed a lawsuit against the U.S. government over the wreck of a $750,000 Ferrari driven by an FBI agent.
Michigan-based Motors Insurance believes an agent and a federal prosecutor were out for a joyride in Lexington, Ky., in 2009 when the agent lost control of the Ferrari. The government has refused to pay for the car, which had been stolen and was being kept as part of an investigation.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
The agent should be on the hook for the car not the Government--and by extension, all of us--if he wasn't using it for legitimate government business.
I agree, in principle.

But is anybody taking any bets he'll have to pay for the car, or that he'll lose his job over this? I'm guessing no.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Same old story: lawsuits name the party with the deepest pockets, even when they're not clearly culpable. Doesn't matter if it's the Feds, some company, or the rich guy in the middle of a ten car pile up, it's still wrong.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Same old story: lawsuits name the party with the deepest pockets, even when they're not clearly culpable. Doesn't matter if it's the Feds, some company, or the rich guy in the middle of a ten car pile up, it's still wrong.
I won't disagree with that, either. None of that helps the guy who's out one Ferrari, or does anything to punish the criminals. It's just another way to circumvent the justice system.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
<<<<<<<<<trying to wrap my head around a car that costs that much. Sigh. :Shrug: