What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharpierae

the UnID
Registered
Reaction score
I *heart* Uglies series. I wish I could read them again for the first time.
Lucky you, Sadie7th.

Kats

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Joel and Cat Set the Story Straight by Nick Earls and Rebecca Sparrow. It's a tandem story with each author writing a chapter in turn - interesting idea, good so far. I love Nick Earls YA books, 48 Shades of Brown and After January in particular.

gem1122

We can pickle that
Registered
Reaction score
I couldn't get very far into An Abundance of Katherines either. I just don't like John Green's writing. It's kind of pompous and annoying. The only character I liked was the Colonel, but not enough to redeem the book. King Dork was a millions times better, IMO.

See, I didn't like King Dork either. I wanted to like it -- same with Green's books. But I just didn't. In fact, I loathed it. I know, I know -- so hateful! But I can't help it! :Wha:

Smarmy. That might be the word I'm looking for. Portman and Green have these wise-ass, smarmy voices. Same thing with Spanking Shakespeare. These books all feel the same to me. They have similar narrators -- conceited, dorky, intellectual, self-absorbed whiners.

(sorry!)

I've been reading Junot Diaz' The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao. It's different. It's hard to sympathize with Oscar because time is flying in the book. In the few specific scenes, the hearsay-based narration is so distant. Still, it's a unique voice. I just wish it would slow down a bit.

Robin

What have I gotten myself into?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbridges.com
I just finished AM Jenkins' Beating Heart and Repossessed. I liked both of them, but Repossessed was so funny I laughed the whole way through it.

Before those, I read Lisa McMann's WAKE, and that one was wickedly awesome.

TrishD

Registered
Reaction score
Website
trishdoller.com
I just finished Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr. I have to say, I liked it better than Wicked Lovely.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer, volume three of her trilogy. I'll be reviewing all three once I've finished.

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
Just Ask--Diary Of A Teenage Girl by Melody Carlson--very interesting. It's told from the view of a teenage Asian girl that's been adopted by a caucasian family.

darrtwish

Registered
Reaction score
Twilight by Stephenie Meyer, for about the 27th or 28th time, I've honestly lost count. Also, Eclipse(also by Stephenie Meyer) for about the fifth time. I really need to get myself to the library and take out some books, not that I'm getting sick and tired of the Twilight series, or anything...just to get my parents off my back for reading the same books over and over again. :|

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Diane Wynn Jones' Conrad's Fate. Not sure if it's YA or MG. I read two of the original Chrestomanci novels when I was a kid. But that's what I'm reading. Hopefully I'll be reading Wicked Lovely next.

sharpierae

the UnID
Registered
Reaction score
I'm 30 pages into Holly Black's Ironside, and it's pretty apparent that the book is part of a series... I think I'm going to put it down until I read the first books...

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
sharpierae:
I'm 30 pages into Holly Black's Ironside, and it's pretty apparent that the book is part of a series... I think I'm going to put it down until I read the first books...

It's the last of her Modern Tales of Faerie trilogy - Tithe and Valiant come first (but Tithe is more directly relevant to Ironside than Valiant).

I've just finished Twilight - not my cup of tea, but I bought New Moon at the same time, so am reading it to see how it develops.

sharpierae

the UnID
Registered
Reaction score
It's the last of her Modern Tales of Faerie trilogy - Tithe and Valiant come first (but Tithe is more directly relevant to Ironside than Valiant).

I've just finished Twilight - not my cup of tea, but I bought New Moon at the same time, so am reading it to see how it develops.

haha, I also started New Moon before I read Twilight a few weeks ago! I fail.

I reeally want to like this new, modern, edgy twist on fantasy stuff-- but so far, I'm not feeling it... but maybe if I actually start where the stories supposed to start, I'll get more into it :)

Dichroic

that's di-CROW-ick
Registered
Reaction score
Website
riseagain.net
I recently finished (and loved) Un Lun Dun, like a lot of people here, but I'm also reading my way through Arthur Ransome. Somehow I entirely missed out on the Swallows and Amazons books as a kid.

TrishD

Registered
Reaction score
Website
trishdoller.com
I recently finished (and loved) Un Lun Dun, like a lot of people here, but I'm also reading my way through Arthur Ransome. Somehow I entirely missed out on the Swallows and Amazons books as a kid.

How did you like Un Lun Dun? I've got it on my To Read list and it looks like such an interesting book.

I just finished a YA by Debbie Reed Fisher called Braless in Wonderland. It was good--very deep in the world of professional modeling.

Dichroic

that's di-CROW-ick
Registered
Reaction score
Website
riseagain.net
How did you like Un Lun Dun? I've got it on my To Read list and it looks like such an interesting book.

I just finished a YA by Debbie Reed Fisher called Braless in Wonderland. It was good--very deep in the world of professional modeling.

Well, as you just quoted, I wrote "I recently finished (and loved) Un Lun Dun..."

What else do I need to say?
Paula

Lady Esther

I can say the alphabet backwards!
Registered
Reaction score
haha, I also started New Moon before I read Twilight a few weeks ago! I fail.

I reeally want to like this new, modern, edgy twist on fantasy stuff-- but so far, I'm not feeling it... but maybe if I actually start where the stories supposed to start, I'll get more into it :)

I'm really trying to like Twilight, but... I don't know. I can't seem to get into it either. I got the book to see what all the fuss was about. The book started off okay, but there hasn't been an action for 100 pages! I need more action Stephanie Meyer!

I hate to bash a book but... it's like the author makes unneccessary things happen to Bella so Edward can jump out and save her.

Now, I'm a strong believer in "once you start a book finish it" but I find myself flipping through this book to find action.

For the first time I will say that I actually think the movie will be better than the book.

Hogwaffle

Registered
Reaction score
I hated twilight, Like really hated it I see her books on the shelf, and read that they are being made into movies and it just makes me mad cause I thought the book was such crap!

That being said I keep hearing so much awesome about her that I am still considering trying another one to see if its any better.

I loved Un Lun Dun and all the ruler of the realm fairie books.

Currently I am reading The lamplighter, which is the second in the monster blood tatoo series by DM cornish. I really liked the first one but found this one harder to get into. I am about halfway now and it just got really good. I think DM cornish is just really into this world he has created, and really took the time to enjoy getting into it again.

I'm looking forward to the second in the tunnels series. and the new pendragon

Hogwaffle

Registered
Reaction score
and sharpierae I agree with you, I really like the idea of modern edgy fantasy, but a lot of what I have tried to read I haven't gotten into, like Ironside.

althrasher

Prodigal Muser
Registered
Reaction score
I'm actually not reading any YA right now (I'm pretending to be a Big Person again--and YA is expensive.)

The last YA I read was Ink Exchange, which was good as long as you don't compare it to Wicked Lovely.

Status
Not open for further replies.