What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lauren Stranick's Nothing Like You, at DrummerGirl's suggestion. :)

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I do visit her blog sometimes, but I'm a lurker. I don't think I've ever posted there (I don't have a blogger account).

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
huh, my bad. thought i saw your name there. :D I guess i just felt your presence ;)

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Based on the positive comments here I just ordered DIVERGENT by Veronica Roth via Amazon Vine. I'd reading a lot of SF dystopia at the moment.

MM

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
I am in a serious rash of blech books at the moment. Numbers is just not cutting it for me. Unless something fantasmagorical happens within the next 50 pages, it's becoming my next DNF. Then I'll move on to an oldie; probably another Christopher Pike.

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I AM NUMBER FOUR... But it's not as good as I hoped it'd be... :/...

Maybe I just haven't gotten to the epic-ness yet.

The general consensus from the people in this thread is that I AM NUMBER FOUR is crap. I believe Parametric described it as, "Tastes like cardboard."

And it's got the James Frey ickiness attached to it.

So, I'm sorry, but it may not get any better for you. :(

zolambrosine

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
The general consensus from the people in this thread is that I AM NUMBER FOUR is crap. I believe Parametric described it as, "Tastes like cardboard."

And it's got the James Frey ickiness attached to it.

So, I'm sorry, but it may not get any better for you. :(

... That's actually really disappointing... I'm going to finish it, just because it sounded so good, but yeah. I'm sad.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Acr0ss the Un1verse. It was, like I had expected, a good engaging YA story. But it was Science Fiction For People Who Don't Read Science Fiction. The "mystery" with the dead Elder and the marauder's map was pretty nonmysterious IMO. But the emotional impact of the story was still strong I think.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I've avoided the influx of fallen angel books so far, but decided to pick up Hush Hush and check it out.

I want a specific spoiler, because if this element isn't going the way I think it is, the book's going through a window. The coach teaching class - is he under someone else's control? Because that's the only sane reason I can conceive of for his brush off answers and BLATANTLY inappropriate behavior in class.

I can suspend my disbelief with the best of them, but if a male coach, in the course of teaching sex-ed, not only allows a male student to humiliate a female student, but then not only shrugs off the same female student's being uncomfortable (when she goes so far as to invoke the school's code) and then forces her to spend EVEN MORE time with the guy she's afraid of... yeah, it's going out a window.

If he's being controlled by an outside force that's making him keep the two of them in close proximity, I'll give it a little (small, infinitesimal, microscopic) amount of leeway (there are such things as principals and guidance counselors who have say in class schedules) but at least it would be an improvement.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Cyia:
The coach teaching class - is he under someone else's control?

'Fraid not. He's just a poorly thought through plot contrivance, there to drive the 'lovers' together by preventing the female MC from being able to escape the Hawtness.

MM

PollyAnna

Keepin' it Real-ish
Registered
Reaction score
'Fraid not. He's just a poorly thought through plot contrivance, there to drive the 'lovers' together by preventing the female MC from being able to escape the Hawtness.

MM

:roll:

Cyia-- quick, say bon voyage and don't look back!

deborahlea

queen of wandering
Registered
Reaction score
Website
deborah-bryan.com
I'm very slowly reading Tender Morsels. The way it's written is making it hard for me to read in long bursts, but I'm really excited by the prospect of seeing its protagonist grow. I'm going to keep at it, but I might have to read other books at the same time since I anticipate it being a slow read.

I wanted to read Break on KittyPryde's recommendation, but my library doesn't have it. :( Luckily for me, KittyPryde does have it, and is going to loan it to me. Huzzah! :)

eastcoastgal

compulsive overeditor
Registered
Reaction score

Yeah, that whole relationship is just icky from start to finish. I was hoping the same thing as you, Cyia, and it took me quite a while to accept the fact that it was headed in that direction. Really unsettling.

Last edited:

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I'm going to see Carrie Ryan at a book signing next month, with a bunch of other authors I haven't read. What would you good folks recommend by: Melissa de la Cruz, Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl, Melissa Marr, and Sarah Rees Brennan? I haven't been so big on paranormal romance but I'm open-minded :D I figure it'll be more fun if I've read some of the books. Also, this is at like the tiniest possible bookstore venue, last time I ended up sitting one foot from the author and she was quizzing me on what genres I like to write :tongue

pixydust

Mother Flippin' Rhymnosorous
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowofthewood.com
Hey, I'm going to see Carrie Ryan at a book signing next month, with a bunch of other authors I haven't read. What would you good folks recommend by: Melissa de la Cruz, Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl, Melissa Marr, and Sarah Rees Brennan? I haven't been so big on paranormal romance but I'm open-minded :D I figure it'll be more fun if I've read some of the books. Also, this is at like the tiniest possible bookstore venue, last time I ended up sitting one foot from the author and she was quizzing me on what genres I like to write :tongue

Oh, fun! Where in LA? I'm right near there...my bestie loves Carrie Ryan...

Marr: Wicked Lovely
Margaret Stohl & Kami Garcia: Beautiful Creatures
Sarah Rees Brennan: [Haven't read] Devil's Lexicon
Cruz: [haven't read] A million vamp academy books...lol
All these women basically have one series each.

Status
Not open for further replies.