Question about Publisher charging for promotional material

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydewinder

Banned
Reaction score
Look up. you see that bright star in the sky? I li
An interesting debate came up in a writers group last week, and I thought I'd share it here and get your input.

One of the published members expressed an interest in doing book-signings at their local book-store and asked their publisher if they would consider having book-marks/posters/press-kits sent her way for the event.

The publisher responded that they have a budget for marketing her book and unfortunately book-store signings are not something that they felt would justify the extra expenses. As such, they welcomed her to do the signing, but suggested that she either do it w/o the swag, or, if she really wanted them to put something together, they would consider doing so at cost and charging it against her royalties.

I'm not going to mention the publisher, b/c I promised I wouldn't, but it is a well regarded (mid sized) one with books on shelves, and they do market (and sell) their books.

The author in question thinks that by suggesting she go out of pocket, they've lowered their credibility. I, on the other hand, see their point. I mean, if they don't think book signings generate revenue, why waste the dollars, right? It's their dime. Plus, I don't think they'd be in a position to run off a hundred bookmarks for one signing- I'm sure they have relationships with printers who run off thousands of them (when they're part of the marketing for a specific title).

What do you think?

Ineti

Purveyor of Prose
Registered
Reaction score
Publishers have finite amount of dollars for marketing. I think it's completely realistic that they told her it wouldn't be worthwhile for them to print promotional materials.

When one of the anthologies I was in with Pocket Books, I asked my editor for some promotional material to hand out at local conventions, and was told that there was no room in the book's budget for promo material. So I made up about 50 bookmarks and handed them out at the con instead. Didn't cost all that much.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Most every author I know (including bestsellers with major houses) produce their own book signing stuff. Some do big board displays, while others do easy-to-carry flyers in an eye-catching frame. I bring bookmarks and some sort of display with our books and even some pretty table covering to attract interest.

The problem is that with pretty much every publisher, the promo dollars put out by a publisher are often to get the book special placement in the store. End caps, face out, display tables and such---all are at a per-book cost to the publisher that lowers the amount the store or chain pays on the invoice. So more than that is often completely out of the question. It's only the very top of the front list that gets any sort of help with signings, when they're sending the author on tour and such.

It sounds like the publisher is actually being quite nice to offer to design items, print them and take them out of the royalties. Most people get a simple "no" when asked. Frankly, I've often used the art department at the publisher to do this. I'll bet if your friend asks, they'll design the display for free if she'll do the printing. That's what I have our publisher do.

Sydewinder

Banned
Reaction score
Look up. you see that bright star in the sky? I li
That's great information, thanks. Exactly what I thought, too. She suspected that by offering to get the material to her at a fee (at cost and taken out of her royalties), that they were somehow not holding up their end. That it violated the "money flows to the author" law.

I directed her to a few other small and mid-sized publishers who say right on their sites that they feel book signings are not worth the effort. It's good to hear that even the big houses do this.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the publisher charging under tehse circumstances. The publisher is actually being nice. If the book signing is the writer's idea, then the writer should pay for it. It's just this simple. Book signings almost never pay for themselves, even with big name writers, and book signing tours are even worse.

There are reasons for putting a bestselling writer on tour, despite the fact that the number of books sold almost never pays for the tour, but publishers have learned that book signings and book signing tours simply do not help most writers, and just drain more money out of the system.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
You don't even need flyers/bookmarks/whathaveyou.

I did a sort of off-the-cuff book signing today. (we'd arranged one earlier in the year, none of us realising it was Cup Final day and when it got to 2 o'clock the shop emptied, so I went back today to finish up)

A successful signing depends on you, not on any other stuff, on whether you get out there and sell your book or just wait for the hordes of eager consumers. Though a bit in the local rag about the signing really helps.

So to sign successfully and sell books, you have to grab people as they walk past, be prepared to chat, be nice, describe the book in a pitch kind of way and thank them even if they don't buy it...you don't need bookmarks. (I tried at my first signing. One person took one, yet I sold all the books in a couple of hours...) If you've got a piece in the local rag (or even if not, I didn't the last three times and sold every book) you don't need flyers or posters. In fact, if you want one thing to help-bring biscuits!

Last edited:

TWErvin2

Raises Turtles in his Basement
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ervin-author.com
If you live near a career technical (Vocational) high school that has a graphic arts class/program, consider contacting them about creating some of the promitional materials. They'll do a decent job and the author would not have to pay for labor.

Do remember, however, it's students and the jobs are learning experiences. What you're requesting has to fit into what they're studying at the time (or have learned and need practice to bring up skills and speed and consistent quality).

Just an option to consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.