My Obama Yard Sign Trashed in Thirty Minutes

fullbookjacket

Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of yard signs, I have my own anecdotal, observational evidence of why McCain is in serious trouble.

My community is a very conservative, very Republican suburb of Orlando (Orlando itself usually votes Democrat). This is the first presidential election I can recall in which the yard signs for the Democrat candidate outnumber those of the Republican candidate.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Some people are just sad. There's a McCain/Palin sign in my neighborhood and every house on that street has Obama/Biden, but no one has done anything to the lone McCain sign. That's civility, man.

Takvah

Not a D list ego massager...
Registered
Reaction score
Some people are just sad. There's a McCain/Palin sign in my neighborhood and every house on that street has Obama/Biden, but no one has done anything to the lone McCain sign. That's civility, man.

There have been reports in the news about McCain signs being trashed too. A couple of guys even got busted setting one on fire and they had a molotov with them. Sadness is bipartisan. :D

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
We had the long drive problem when I was growing up. Dad replaced a number of mailboxes before he embedded a 4" steel pipe in concrete to mount one on. When he first did it, he also mounted a mailbox full of cement(on Friday afternoon). Saturday night we heard terrible noises, and found parts of a baseball bat and a car window on the pavement when we went out to look.

Dad never replaced a mailbox again. :D

Great story!

We were at a craft show where someone was displaying cast iron mailboxes. They were actually quite pretty, crafted to look like a log. The intent was that not only were they indestrucible, they'd cause great pain to anyone taking a bat to them. We were tempted to buy one but the cost was crazy...almost a thousand dollars!

I won't be putting the sign back up. And I'm thinking about removing my Obama sign from my car since it will be parked at the airport for the next two weeks. Why take the chance that some embittered McCain supporter would take out his (her) frustration on my car?

EM

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
There have been reports in the news about McCain signs being trashed too. A couple of guys even got busted setting one on fire and they had a molotov with them. Sadness is bipartisan. :D

True and truly sad. As I mentioned in an earlier post, signs for both candidates have been stolen and trashed in my area. As much as I hope McCain/Palin are defeated, I would never touch my neighbor's signs, out of respect for their freedom of speech, just as I would hope they would stay hands off my signs.

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
We had the long drive problem when I was growing up. Dad replaced a number of mailboxes before he embedded a 4" steel pipe in concrete to mount one on. When he first did it, he also mounted a mailbox full of cement(on Friday afternoon). Saturday night we heard terrible noises, and found parts of a baseball bat and a car window on the pavement when we went out to look.

Dad never replaced a mailbox again. :D

When my husband and I still lived in the country at the end of a long drive, we had our mailbox bashed several times and set on fire once, taken down by a car that ran off the road another time. My husband did a similar thing to what you describe your dad did and our problems ended!
I love that American ingenuity!

SHBueche

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ShelleyBueche.com
Since we are on the topic of bumper stickers (at least I think we are :) ), I want to air a complaint, again ... inevitably when you see a "I love America" sticker, or something similar, you will see a W sticker or McCain/Palin sticker. Since when do Republicans have a lock when it comes to patriotism? Don't Democrats love their country, as well?

Anyone here going to see "W" this weekend? I've been reading good reviews saying that Oliver Stone is becoming more of an historian in his filmmaking.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Since we are on the topic of bumper stickers (at least I think we are :) ), I want to air a complaint, again ... inevitably when you see a "I love America" sticker, or something similar, you will see a W sticker or McCain/Palin sticker. Since when do Republicans have a lock when it comes to patriotism? Don't Democrats love their country, as well?
As far as I know, they don't check your voter registration and only allow Reps to buy 'I Love America' bumper stickers.
Anyone here going to see "W" this weekend? I've been reading good reviews saying that Oliver Stone is becoming more of an historian in his filmmaking.
Oliver Stone is every bit as much of an historian as Michael Moore. That's kinda like calling GW Bush a genius. :roll:

I'm guessing the group of people who see both 'W' and 'An American Carol' will approach a null set. :D The DW and I intend to pick both up on DVD when they're available.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know. I manage to have a strong dislike for both Bush and Michael Moore. That said, I'll probably only see W., if only because they used The Talking Heads in the trailer. And because Rob said An American Carol sucked.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I was hoping An American Carol would be on a par with Airplane!, Top Secret! or the Naked Gun. Not generally my type of humor, but ZAZ has made some funny slapstick.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Re: Mailboxes.

There's a guy outside of town whose mailbox is at the end of a 1 inch iron rail. The rail is mounted/balanced on a swivel that, in turn is on a pipe leading to the ground. The other end of the iron rail has two feet of equally iron chain hanging from it, and a small metal ball, about the size of a softball.

I guess the theory is: Drive by, hit the mailbox, the rail swivels around and imbeds the swinging ball in the back of your car. It's been so many years since anyone has hit his mailbox, I don't even know if the thing still turns.

These folks are serious about wanting to get their bills....

Fraulein

Spooks? Where are you?...
Registered
Reaction score
If I were to tell you, then that would be cheating
LMAO! I'm in the U.K never seen one of those U.S mail boxes except in the movies. Didn't think they were actually widespread things. How very interesting.
We have all sorts of mailboxes in the US. Some of the mailboxes are freestanding while others are attached to the outside of a house. If the family has a long driveway, then it's likely that their mailbox will be freestanding near the side of the road.

I've never seen a "mail slot". I've seen them on commercials, though.

VGrossack

bored fan with a tic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tapestryofbronze.com
I read (admittedly on the daily kos) of a rather funny episode. McCain and Obama signs on lawns across the street from each other ... and one night a prankster switched them! :)

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
A Nasty Follow Up

It was reported on our local (Baltimore) news that a woman in Harford county (my county) had her Obama signs trashed, twiced. The third time she put them up they were defaced with swastikas. The home owner said she saw someone dressed in a white KKK robe leaving the scene. Local police called in the Secret Service and they are now investigating it as a hate crime.

I thought we were more evolved than that~