A Life of Crime and Chocolate

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Hmph! A mouse has moved into my house. Bastard critter stole my small bar of Cadbury's Milk chocolate! I left the bar on the sofa when I went to get a hot drink and when I came back the bar was on the floor, well and truly nibbled and the mousey was retreating under the sofa. Hmph.

Oops. Sorry.

::cleans whiskers::

Did I ever tell you about the time my cat saw a mouse and hid behind me? Seriously. He screamed like a woman in a 50s sitcom. Hilarious.

Sorry about your chocolate. Really. :tongue

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Oops. Sorry.

::cleans whiskers::

Did I ever tell you about the time my cat saw a mouse and hid behind me? Seriously. He screamed like a woman in a 50s sitcom. Hilarious.

Sorry about your chocolate. Really. :tongue

:roll: that is so funny! Was it a very BIG mouse?

Are you really really really sorry about the chocolate? Remember, if you tells fibs the whiskers will fall out!

I am so not getting a humane trap. Last time I used one I looked at the mouse in it and had to phone an animal welfare group to ask what I should do with the mouse. I was told to let it free on the woodpile. I pointed out that it would only come back into the house. "Well," said the woman I was talking to, "that won't be a problem as you have a humane trap." The mouse went for a drive with me and I let it go about a mile from my house.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Aw. Humane traps are the best. I take them way out, too. We used to live in a heavily wooded area, and they always found a way in. I love a good mousie. :)

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
HJ I'll send you my mousie. Good mousies don't pinch their hosts chocolate!

The house I I live in was empty for about four weeks before I moved in. A colony of mice were already in residence! I got the humane trap and set it up. At three -ish in the morning I was woken by a strange noise. I got up to investigate and found that my cat was batting the trap about the hall and the kitchen. There was a very scared little mousie in it. Cat did not speak to me for the rest of the week - he really did not like me taking his new toy away from him. I really do not like human traps - cause nothing but annoyance.

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
I've lived in my house for over ten years. Last year was the first year I ever had mice. No clue where they came in but my cats would put them in the bathtub so they couldn't get away, then chase them around. A few got .... well you know, but most curled up in the drain so said cat could not get them.. Sigh... Then I'd have to boot the kitties out of the bathroom, close the door, , pop the mousey out of the drain into a coffee can or something and take it down to the grassy area by the creek and let it go.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Today I went to our local indie bookstore and there was a guy pushing his books. I mean, really pushing. It was... just ew. A good lesson in how not to do a book signing.

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
HJ there really is an art to doing a good book signing. Sad that you experienced a bad one. Maybe we should start a school for how to do signings.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
HJ there really is an art to doing a good book signing. Sad that you experienced a bad one. Maybe we should start a school for how to do signings.

Rule 1: No hitting on the married patrons.

Rule 2: If the customer walks away with a politely bored look on her face, LET HER GO.

What else?

HistorySleuth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Rule #3: Stand, eye level with prospective folks and be friendly. It's not a good idea to just sit the whole time. That's really a psychological thing. Not to sit because it makes it so they have to look down at you. If you stand it shows more confidence.

Last edited:

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
Rule #4: Try to have some other people there for the prospective buyers to talk to. When the Sharpe Chefs http://www.thesharpechefs.com/ have a signing we always try to have some of the members of the 95th Rifles present.

Rule #5 Think about your personal presentation - do you look like a hen in a fit or a smart/casually dressed person who could hang a sentence together.

Rule #6 Don't use scent/aftershave. Some buyers have allergies.

DocBrown

Hopes to one day write for food.
Registered
Reaction score
Rule #6 Don't use scent/aftershave. Some buyers have allergies.

Can we just apply this to life, please? Mama gets migraines from this. :eek:

Word! There is nothing worse than simply walking past someone and suddenly having a mini-coughing fit because a chemical residue has forked the back of your throat.

Society has a number of light-scented almost imperceptible deodorants. Let's all just stick with those. ;)

Last edited:

HistorySleuth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Double word! I'm one of those people! Got to watch in my house even with deodorants (Axe is banned.) It's like my throat starts to close and it's hard to breath.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Just popping in to say hello, but I'm at the SciFi Ball in Bournemouth, being a geek. Got a bit of writing done in my notebook but really just been hanging around, talking my favourite actor / muse and being generally silly. Back to Prague and reality tomorrow night. I'll get a chance to spend some time in London first though.

However, my firstest ever short story has just been published! So far I think only my dad has bought the magazine though.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Just popping in to say hello, but I'm at the SciFi Ball in Bournemouth, being a geek. Got a bit of writing done in my notebook but really just been hanging around, talking my favourite actor / muse and being generally silly. Back to Prague and reality tomorrow night. I'll get a chance to spend some time in London first though.

However, my firstest ever short story has just been published! So far I think only my dad has bought the magazine though.

:hi: and congratulations! :hooray:

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
I know for most of you here this is a little early but it's the end of the day here so

~HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY~
:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

I got an e-mail tonight from baby Charm's breeder she sent me a little valentine's gift - More pictures!!!

This is all 5 girls (Charm is one of them) from 2 different litters.
IMG_83485girlsc.jpg

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
Awww French Maiden they are so cute. I am so envious!

Thanks HJ and GailD.

Sunday afternoon was the last run through in the rehearsal space. Yesterday evening was the tech run through in the Corn Hall. O my! It was long and boring as tech run throughs tend to be. Tonight was a semi tech and dress run through. Tomorrow is the dress rehearsal. Then three public performances. It has been a strange experience to see and hear my work become live on stage. It has also been an enlightening experience. I am Prompt and following the spoken word with the script in front of me suddenly gave me an insight into how the really bad versions of Shakespeare's plays could have happened. The way the order of the words are changed by some of the actors is quite surprising. And the moments of total barmpottery are jaw dropping. Tonight the actor who has to announce Lady MacBeth's death entered on the wrong side of the stage, ran across the stage and disappeared. He then came back on stage from the correct side and said, gasping for breath "She's dead!" * It was so funny - everyone got the giggles and he got a round of applause. It is getting better and the actors, now the production has moved to the acting space and they have lights, music and sound effects are really improving. I am looking forward to the 'real thing'.

*I suppose this was better than the actor who rushed on stage and said "The queen, my Lord, is NOT dead!"
MacBeth turned and said "Get thee hence and see how the queen does now."

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
:roll: It sounds like a hoot, Shakes! Keep us posted. :)

Happy V Day, all. I'm celebrating by making myself chocolate covered strawberries. Hubby brought me some flowers he "found lying around" and then he criticized my cooking. Feelin' the romance here! :ROFL:

DocBrown

Hopes to one day write for food.
Registered
Reaction score
HJ, was it a good critique? :chair

I had planned on spending the evening quietly watching Japanese anime, but somehow managed to get called into work and wash dishes for five hours. :crazy:

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey all, finally back in CZ. And have finally succumbed to the cold that's wanted to get me for the last two months, but at least it waited until I got home from the convention. Spent Valentine's Day doing a tour of Prague Castle and warned the tourists that any mention of said day was banned for the duration as for the 32nd year of my life I am yet again single. Got a few laughs.

Had a great time in Bournemouth though, got to dress up silly, even got a little bit of writing done and an idea for another project as well. I have a month now to recover before the next event!

HJ - now you have made me want chocolate covered strawberries. Shall have to stop by Marks & Spencer on the way to work tonight.

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
Tonights dress rehearsal was sooo good. Best performance so far. I am so tired ... off to bed!