Jed's Super-Dooper Newbie Question-of-the-Week Thread

Jane_X

Registered
Reaction score
New Question of the Week:

What was the last book you read?

Altar of Bones -- had it sitting on my coffee tables for months but it kept getting bumped for other books. Glad I finally jumped in. Would love to know who the real author is.

Oliwinx

Registered
Reaction score
The Name of this Book is a Secret by Pseudonymous Bosch. I read it because my daughter really, really, really wanted me to.

Rockweaver

Registered
Reaction score

actually i have been reading several books together.

The Three Musketeers.
Triplanatary.
The Saphire Rose

hmm a couple o short stories also but i am not counting them.

vickinicole

Registered
Reaction score
I read a wonderful book called What Alice Forgot. About this lady who lost her memory and her life during that memory lost. It was fun to read.

vickinicole

Registered
Reaction score
I'm scared of being under water and drowning so by default I'd rather go into space, although that's scary to me as well.
The very first Question of the Day was: If you had the choice of only doing one which would it be: to travel into space or to travel deep under the Ocean?

DGGrace

Wait--"yaoi" means WHAT?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
wordsfromdggrace.blogspot.com

Yes Means Yes: Visions of Female Sexual Power & a World Without Rape, Jaclyn Friedman & Jessica Valenti.

I can't recommend this book strongly enough--especially to young men and teenagers. In a nutshell, the idea that "no means no" is important, but what America's rape culture has taken from that concept has been "if they don't say no, I have consent." We need to foster an environment in which all men understand that consent can never be presumed. It can only be given. Until you hear "yes," the answer is "no." Also, yes can be rescinded AT ANY TIME. Even after you hear an enthusiastic "yes," a "no" still means no.

I'm currently reading Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us, Daniel H. Pink.

Last fiction I read was Embassytown, China Mieville. Overall good, but the premise doesn't bear close examination. Essentially he's arguing for the possibility of a language without signification.

ccrookie

Registered
Reaction score
The Moon and More by Sarah Dessen. Because I'm in my mid-twenties and I still read YA like nobody's business.

Dubhdara

Registered
Reaction score
Harbour by John Ajvide Lindqvist. Good book, I enjoyed it. A wee bit over written at times but definitely worth the read!

Krelian

I set fires to feel joy...
Registered
Reaction score
Last book I read was Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. I can't even describe how phenomenal it was. It quickly levitated into my top 10.

PandaMan

Panda girls are the best!
Registered
Reaction score
All The Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy. One of the best books I've ever read.

Currently reading The Famished Road by Ben Okri. I've only gotten through six chapters but so far it's great.

Ona Mission

A Bit Squirrelly
Registered
Reaction score
Website
onanewmission.wordpress.com
Hah! A question I can answer without feeling like an idiot! Whoo. OK...just finished the final (well, current final) episode of HHGG - Eoin Colfer's "And Another Thing..."

Wow, that really took me awhile to finish. I just couldn't get into it. Not really a super-duper sci fi fan anyway but I loved Adams HHGG books and I love Colfer's other stuff so I assumed it would be the best of both worlds. Never assume. Never, ever assume. It contained gems, of course, as any book written by an amazing writer does. But for the most part, I just kept hoping to finish it fast and move on.

intrepidsnark

Semi-Professional Child Wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
The last book that I finished reading was Shadow of the Giant, which is the final book in the Ender's Shadow series. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is a fan of Ender's Game. (Or anyone who isn't, I suppose, since it's Bean's story and not Ender's.)

As for what I'm currently reading: I'm about two hundred pages away from finishing The Silence of the Lambs. I can't quite decide yet whether it lives up to its reputation in my eyes. I guess I'll decide when I turn the last page.

Siwyenbast

Registered
Reaction score
The last fiction book I read for fun was A Wizard of Mars by Diane Duane. If you want to count my hispanic lit class, then Latino Boom. It's an anthology of different Latino/a writers' works.