• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Irene Goodman Literary Agency

bunderful

Registered
Reaction score
Well actually he had asked me if there was any other interest - so I felt I had to tell him I had another request...

Creole Lady

Registered
Reaction score
I queried this agent way back in Sept. 2010 and never did get any kind of response from her.

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
She's definitely a no response = no agent. From her website:

"Because of the high volume of email submissions we receive, we will only respond to your query if we are interested in seeing more, usually within 6-8 weeks; please don't follow up and do not call."

Tegwin

Registered
Reaction score
I have a bit of a puzzling predicament and I'm not exactly sure just what to do about.

I queried Ms. Kriss back in mid-November, 2010, got a request for a full three days after sending the query. Sent the full, but got no confirmation that it was received. Sent a status inquiry email back in March, 2011, but no response to that either. Anyone know if this agent is a no-response to requested material, or if it's possible I got lost in cyberspace somehow? I'm not sure if I should just close it out and move on or wait it out and hope for the best. Thanks!

Decker

Old fish; alligator skin
Registered
Reaction score
I sent a query, 10 page sample, and a 5 paragraph (2 page) synopsis. It was good enough for a 50 page request which I sent out yesterday. Like Empress, there was no auto-repsonse, so I'm hoping it's not lost to the spam folder.

Empress Awesome

I bite. Taco look-a-likes beware.
Registered
Reaction score
Over there! Can't you see my canoe house?
Website
empressawesome.blogspot.com
I sent a query, 10 page sample, and a 5 paragraph (2 page) synopsis. It was good enough for a 50 page request which I sent out yesterday. Like Empress, there was no auto-repsonse, so I'm hoping it's not lost to the spam folder.

When did you query? If you got a request without an auto-response, maybe I don't need to resend my query.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
She's definitely a no response = no agent. From her website:

"Because of the high volume of email submissions we receive, we will only respond to your query if we are interested in seeing more, usually within 6-8 weeks; please don't follow up and do not call."

So it would be okay to query a different agent in the same agency once the non-responder's official time limit is up? Not too impolite? In case she's just running late.

falconesse

Registered
Reaction score
Website
falconesse.com
So it would be okay to query a different agent in the same agency once the non-responder's official time limit is up? Not too impolite? In case she's just running late.

Their guidelines look like it's a query one=you've queried all kind of situation:

• Please DO NOT email the agents at their personal email addresses, and do not submit to more than one of our agents.
  • If your query strikes our interest, it will be forwarded to the appropriate agent here.
I'd think that if you didn't receive the auto-response letting you know the query was received, it's fair to requery, maybe with a comment that you'd sent the original on XX/XX, but didn't get the automatic reply, so you're concerned it got stuck in a spam filter.

Good luck!

Decker

Old fish; alligator skin
Registered
Reaction score
I e-queried Barbara Poelle on March 21 and received a repsonse from an agent assistant, Georgia Johnson, on May 31. I don't ever remember getting an auto-reponse, but I won't swear to that. I would say that if you don't hear anything after 12 weeks, requery.

I don't think it'll do much good to query another agent at this agency with the same letter. It sounds like once the query is received, it's reviewed by the agent assistant(s) before being passes along. So it's likely the same person will be reading the same query. However, if you have a slightly altered letter, I'd send it in.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I see. I thought the guidelines were referring to simultaneous submissions, i.e. "don't query more than one agent in our agency at the same time", like the guidelines of Writers House say.

Wildflower90

Registered
Reaction score
Just realised I sent my query to one of their personal email addresses! Oops...that'd be why I didn't get an automated response 9 weeks ago. But it may have been a blessing in disguise because I have now completely redone my query letter and the beginning of my MS. Strange how things work out, huh? When I've polished the first ten pages until they shine, I'll query again - using the right email address this time lol!

Wildflower90

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, okay, so I couldn't wait. I sent out my query today...however, I made ANOTHER mistake. Blimey, I'm not doing so good with this agency. I forgot to include my synopsis but I did send it off immediately after so hopefully she won't hold that against me!! We'll see....

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
Do you have a checklist for each query, Wildflower? I had to do that since every agent has slightly different requirements. It saved me from a lot of little mistakes.

Wildflower90

Registered
Reaction score
Strangely enough, I do! I think it's because I was watching something on the TV at the time. Lesson learnt: queries must take precedence over Desperate Housewives!

Decker

Old fish; alligator skin
Registered
Reaction score
Update on Barbara Poelle:
Sent 6/1
ER after 50 page sample 7/21

"Sorry for the delay. The writing here is top notch but we just didn't fall in love with the narrative enough to move forward. It's a matter of taste and we do hope you find luck elsewhere."

Louisa

Registered
Reaction score
Barbara Poelle was one of Authoress'secret agents. Have a look at the website and read her comments about each entry, it might help you to understand her taste.

applejack

Registered
Reaction score

I'm wondering about the auto-response too... I submitted a large partial in July and DID get an auto-response. Georgia Johnson replied asking to see a full ms, and this week, I sent it in. No auto-response and I'm quietly freaking out.

Could it be that because they'd already corresponded with me via email, the auto-responder didn't kick in -- even though it was a month later? I know the worst thing in the world is to bug them by emailing again or (gasp) calling, and odds are the ms got there fine, but I'm scared of screwing up this chance in case it didn't arrive. I'm a total newbie, so advice is appreciated!

falconesse

Registered
Reaction score
Website
falconesse.com
Could it be that because they'd already corresponded with me via email, the auto-responder didn't kick in -- even though it was a month later?

I think this is probably the case. Once you're emailing back and forth with a person, there's no need for the auto-responder (I'm assuming you're not sending it to the generic queries address anymore, but emailing Ms. Johnson directly?)

Good luck with the full!