Last Movie You Watched...

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
"Double Jeopardy", with Ashley Judd and Tommy Lee Jones. I thought it was gonna be a whodunit but it was actually a revenge tale.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Wise Blood, watched just tonight on DVD. An adaptation of Flannery O'Connor's famous novella, directed by John Huston (one of his last directorial works, I believe) and starring Brad Dourif (who got an Oscar nomination for his performance as the stammering Billy Bibbitt in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest).

Stunning, dark and unforgettable are the words that come to mind. Brilliant film derived from a brilliant piece of fiction. Dourif's performance is remarkable, and there are also great turns from Amy Wright and the well-known character actor Harry Dean Stanton.

Recommend highly.

caw

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban--Mom and I are on a marathon rewatch. It's fun!

ChrisL

Registered
Reaction score
How to Train Your Dragon 2. It was AWESOME. Better than the first. Better than I expected. I enjoyed it completely and left feeling quite fulfilled. :)

I'm a truly cynical old bastard but, totally against my standard opinion of that type of thing, I thought the first one was superb I have to say. And I'll watch the second, unapologetically.

(My answer to the question is The Art of the Steal, which is inexplicably quite good. Wish I had hair like Kurt Russell.)

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
The Magician. Sort of a Chinese version of the Edward Norton film, The Illusionist. It didn't know what it wanted to be. The weird attempts at slapstick-type humor didn't mesh with the serious parts.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Just watched The Purge. Ugh. It had SO MANY problems on SO MANY levels I don't even know where to begin.The whole movie just came across as really dumb and non-sensical. The plot was dumb and very predictable. The writing, lame. The acting was terrible (mostly) and I found myself wanting the son to bite the big one because his actions were just SO. STUPID. The daughter, too. Blech. Glad I didn't waste my money seeing it in the theater. I am so annoyed right now!!!! I want to purge my mind of that 1 hour and 25 minute garbage!

Last edited:

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Watched All Cheerleaders Die. Granted, on one level it's quite sexist and has the obligatory girl-girl makeout scene which really isn't much of a scene, but on another, it's a sendup of the genre itself and the way women are objectified, especially in horror flicks. Not totally successful, but not totally dire, either.

Fictional Cowboy

Life is short. Live with purpose.
Registered
Reaction score
We've been having a very steady rash of strong thunderstorms for over a week so it's perfect weather for reading, writing and movies. I left my bedroom blinds and the window open (they're protected from rain getting in) just to watch the lightning flash throughout the room with the booming thunder. I felt like I was in one of the 1940's films I love so much. Like this one that I watched last night...

Dragonwyck (1946) with Gene Tierney, Vincent Price and Glenn Langan. (It never ceases to amaze me how death was accepted so quietly and resolutely in these movies, even those of a dearly loved one.)

This afternoon I'm watching a very hard to find movie that I love. It's called Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005), with Joan Plowright and Rupert Friend.

Tonight, at the ready, is Sherlock Holmes Faces Death (1943) with Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce.

If I'm up for a double feature, I have Roman Holiday (1953) at the ready with Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

Honesty forces me to admit that most of the cast is less than acceptable, including the kid who played Charlie. Jack Albertson was the bast of them. But Gene Wilder is utterly perfect. Perfect. Odd, unpredictable, kooky--a jaded adult whose amazing imagination and warm heart can't help but shine through.

I didn't get that at all from the book, which I read several times.

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
I totally agree, Calla Lily, no one can play that role better than Gene Wilder. Perfect for it, indeed.

Monuments Men- I don't usually get into war shows, of course there are exceptions- Saving Private Ryan for example, but I really liked this one. Mostly because it's not really concentrated so much on the war, but more about their mission. Great cast. I'm an artist so I might be a bit bias on the subject matter, but I think anyone would enjoy this movie.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I totally agree, Calla Lily, no one can play that role better than Gene Wilder. Perfect for it, indeed.

Yes. And God, what a horrid disappointment the Tim Burton remake Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, with Johnny Depp in the role, was. Worst film of Depp's career, methinks. Weird, and not in a pleasing way.

But, frankly, it's also one of the strangest "children's stories" I can think of, in many ways.

caw

Last edited:

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Went to a mortar and stone cinema last night and saw Jersey Boys. I went to school with several Jersey Boys and Girls back in the 70s--all big 4 Seasons fans so I doubly enjoyed this. I also remember my grandfather and sitting on the front porch with him, watering his flowers and listening to "Sherrie Baby." He was musical, had a good voice and liked to sing Rock N Roll. Funny to see the world the way I remember it. The cars and the fashions but especially the music. --s6

Last edited:

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Caught Capt 2 at a Sat matinee, (Captain America: The Winter Soldier). Loved it. A must if you're keeping up with the Marvel Cinematic Uni...

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
So, uh, just to explain, this movie showed up in Mr. Maxwell's "recommended for you" list on Amazon, so I picked it up for him for our anniversary this year.

Karate-Robo Zoborgar.

We watched it on Saturday with three friends.

Oh. My. God. It's a modern remake of a 70s japanese tv show about a secret police officer and his karate-fighter robot that turns into a motorcycle. Featuring cyborg-human romance, political intrigue, and characters named Baron Eyepatch and King Africa, it's the most screwed up, "WTF did I just see" movie all five of us have ever watched. We could not stop laughing the entire time.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Please tell me you've seen the last 10 minutes of Jesus Christ, Vampire Hunter.

I haven't been able to put myself through the entire movie, but the last 10 minutes are one of the biggest :Jaw: ever.

Likewise, Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny. Only 5 minutes on this one before my brain took forcible control of my hand and made me change the channel.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Please tell me you've seen the last 10 minutes of Jesus Christ, Vampire Hunter.

I haven't been able to put myself through the entire movie, but the last 10 minutes are one of the biggest :Jaw: ever.

Likewise, Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny. Only 5 minutes on this one before my brain took forcible control of my hand and made me change the channel.

I've never even heard of those. I have seen Demons at the Door, though. That one... that one.

There are just some spectacularly :Wha: movies out there.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Moon with Sam Rockwell. Shades of Silent Running, but well made and well acted. Not totally successful, but I enjoyed it.

Also rewatched Wedlock with Rutger Hauer. Low-budget, but he OWNS that flick, and it's very inventive. Very likeable, too, even though Joan Chen overacts outrageously. Fun times, though.

Guilty pleasure: Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. Done with a straight face in every department, it's one-note...but it's the right note.

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
And I couldn't get through the first fifteen minutes of the movie, AB:VH. :Shrug: Maybe I just didn't give it a long enough chance and it got better? I don't know, it's probably just me.