A couple friends appear to have gotten "banned" before ever posting!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vrabinec

Dipwad
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vrabinec-fred.blogspot.com
I've got a couple friends who tried to join, and either they got banned or their registration got kicked back for some reason. Is there some technical issue causing this? It's not global, because a different friend got in with no problem. Someone said it might be ISP related, but I'm not sure what that means.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
It could mean they happen to be using an ISP (meaning the numeric address of their computer web access) that also belongs to a known scammer or former troll that we banned.

It happens from time to time, though no fault of the new member. It would be best to contact Mac or another Super Mod or Administrator to see if they can be unlocked. :) Just click on their user name and send a PM with the name of your friend and his/her email address to contact.

Deleted member 42

We're getting hammered by would-be spam accounts, to the tune of thousands a day.

All accounts are hand-approved by Mac or by me.

We check against a spam service for all new accounts, and we do get some false positives.

Please apologize to your friends, and ask them to reapply.

(Please also see the PM from me with my email so they can let me know to watch for them).

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
We're getting hammered by would-be spam accounts, to the tune of thousands a day.

I have a similar problem (on a smaller scale, thank God) on a wordpress I run. A significant amount of my traffic seems to be coming from spam bots. Of my 200-300 views on an update day, I have to account that at least 50 of them on average tried to leave a spam comment. It's incredibly frustrating.

Deleted member 42

I have a similar problem (on a smaller scale, thank God) on a wordpress I run. A significant amount of my traffic seems to be coming from spam bots. Of my 200-300 views on an update day, I have to account that at least 50 of them on average tried to leave a spam comment. It's incredibly frustrating.

Use Akismet
Turn off Registration
Reject comments with more than two URLs
Require a previous comment to be approved for a new one to post
Turn off comments on old posts.

One of the sites I admin in WordPress gets 1500 would be spammers a day

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
My word press blog is on hiatus for over a year now and it still gets hits everyday. I figure they are bots...

Status
Not open for further replies.