What are you reading?

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
I picked up a paperback copy of Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. I've finished the first two sections and I'm liking it a lot.

Graz

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm going through the entire series, though I wonder if I should have tackled Winter first (didn't find out about that book till after I started Berlin Game).

I read Winter last, after finishing the nine books mentioned. No big deal.

These Mean Streets

We Could Be Heroes
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I read Winter also, after reading the whole series, and it didn't affect my enjoyment of the story at all.

It's not meant to be a mandatory read before the series. It's actually incidental to the series, in my opinion, and not imperative to enjoying the story.

S.J.

Addict? I can quit whenever I want!
Registered
Reaction score
I've officially stopped reading new things until my exams are over.

(But I happen to be reading On the Beach by Nevil Chute and One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabrial Garcia Marquez)

Noompsy

Ow
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished After the Fire (about the Seton Hall fire). Read it in one sitting online. Cried several times and I'm not a crying type, not with books at least. But that could be because I taught one of the main guys. I'm biased, but it's a moving read.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
The Country of The Pointed Firs-- Sarah Orne Jewett

picked it up in the school library yesterday at noon and i've stuck with it for five chapters now. funny how those old writers spent chapters and chapters setting up the story. obviously no one ever told sarah orne jewett to get to the action in the first paragraph. still--i like this so far.

I'm reading it too. My dad gave me an old copy a few years ago, before he died. Said it was "the world of your paternal grandfather's families."

THUD! by Terry Pratchett

Ooh, that's a good one!

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Magic in the Blood by Devon Monk

The Steampunk Bible - can't remember the author off the top of my head but it's non-fiction about the Steampunk subculture.

milly

seeing sparks
Registered
Reaction score
"Countrymen of Bones" by Robert Olen Butler

VTwriter

Hair today, gone tomorrow
Registered
Reaction score
Website
wrgreer.com
Currently reading The Imperfectionists by Tom Rachman. On the fence about it, but that's probably because I find books with a new protagonist in each chapter hard to invest any emotion in them.

Just finished Swamplandia! by Karen Russell. It's really well done in places, annoying in others.

Dangard

Registered
Reaction score
Currently re-reading Over My Head: A Doctor's Own Story of Head Injury from the Inside Looking Out, by Claudia L. Osborn. I think the title is pretty self-explanatory, but it's about a doctor who suffers a life-altering brain injury after getting hit by a car while bike riding. Her stories of her bloopers & mishaps during her recovery remind me of some of my own bloopers.

lostwanderer5

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished reading "The Road to Bedlam" by Mike Shevdon. A fantastic read. The middle slowed down a little for me, but still a 4* book.

I'm also in middle of other books - Seven Habits of Highly Effective People, and Tigana. Re-reading Persuasion.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Notorious" by Australian writer Roberta Lowing. It's up for a swag of prizes and it's a beautifully-crafted thing. I'm really enjoying it.

milly

seeing sparks
Registered
Reaction score
"Cold Spring Harbor" by Richard Yates

David Poellot

Registered
Reaction score
Finished Small Favor by Jim Butcher this weekend.

Started The Zookeeper's Wife by Diane Ackerman. Wow, does she write well! And, this is non-fiction. So descriptive and flows so well.