Status
Not open for further replies.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Eg: a vacuum is only a vacuum until it has something in it, and space is all the stuff that's not stuff?

Er, pardon.

Space is a vacuum isn't it?

And to go back to the original 'it's too early' point. I was talking about the measurement, because it's all relative to what was in my head at the time.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Hello friends!

I am here, avoiding the story I should be writing. I'd rather veg right now, but I've got to finish this story in time for the deadline or important people will be disappointed in me. And I hate disappointing people.

It's hard to write when you don't have that fire in your belly to do it.

Black-Marlin

Avoiding cliches like the plague
Registered
Reaction score
Website
starlingford.wordpress.com
...and now I'm over 1,000, and I think that's enough for today. I would have written more, but some of the names are in Gaelic, and finding the keyboard shortcuts for the modified characters required always slows me down. That said, they do sound waaaaay cooler than just leaving them in English... the frigates Cathasaigh, Crochhaire and Gŕadaigh are much more interesting than Vigilant, Hangman and Illustrious, I think...

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
PLAS means 'pee' in Dutch :D

Outstanding.

So, the last few days the roads have been so slick that the only way to drive is to make peace with your god(s), rest one hand lightly on the wheel and watch the road 200 feet ahead. Oh, and ignore the cars sliding at you sideways, and those rolling over all around.

Today's a straight-up blizzard, so of course I'm off on a 110-mile round trip.

If I never see you again, Cantina, know that I loved you well but, perhaps, not wisely.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
If I never see you again, Cantina, know that I loved you well but, perhaps, not wisely.

Quote Book Please!

ION, I wrote some words and now ate some cookies.

Of course, life is funny and now that I've eaten all the cookies, Toddler will actually pee in the potty after his nap and I'll have no treats to give him. But if that's what it takes to train this kid then I'll sacrifice and eat all the cookies.

:D

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Party finally done. Wow. I'm pooped. But a good time was had by all. The lasagne was well-received, everybody played bunches of games and there was much laughing.

Now I need a nap.

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, the last few days the roads have been so slick that the only way to drive is to make peace with your god(s), rest one hand lightly on the wheel and watch the road 200 feet ahead. Oh, and ignore the cars sliding at you sideways, and those rolling over all around.

Dude, you better get back here :eek: Be careful!!!!

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was once told I should stop writing in English altogether. So... yep.

Max, 90% of your posts could pass as American poster. The other 10% just read like you were tired.

So just don't edit when tired and write away in any language :)

Outstanding.

:eek:

Party finally done. Wow. I'm pooped. But a good time was had by all. The lasagne was well-received, everybody played bunches of games and there was much laughing.

Now I need a nap.

Sweet :)

I also need a nap.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So today I decided to teach the Warhorse to long line. We'd tried this once before, but he was so wigged out, that I made it super simple for him and stopped after five minutes on a good note. That was weeks and weeks ago.

So today I got the lines all organized, had the whip in hand (to substitute for my leg, not to beat him. Worst he got was some firm bumps.). He stood quietly in the arena while I organized myself again and moved behind him.

If you don't know, long lining is similar to driving, but with a human walking behind the horse. He walked off when told but was looking back and going really hesitantly like 'wait, why the hell am I leading?!? Where do I gooo??'

He started to figure it out and we were walking steadily, but he wanted to spook at a flatbed trailer outside the arena. He fought the lines a bit and finally had a little hissy fit. I've had very little practice long lining, back when I knew far less, but I started to figure this out really fast.

I positioned myself and used the right signals to keep him on the rail past the evvvil trailer. We got better on the open turns. We got some slow trot in a few times. Things got steadily smoother. At one point though he turned and faced me. The lines, which run to the surcingle rings at his back, are now running from his bridle to his back, then forward to my hands as we face eachother. I tried to talk him down, but he's feeling pressure telling him to back and I don't get forward fast enough, a d he spins again and runs from me, all tangled. Crap. I almost stop him, but have to drop one line, then another. Luckily the lines detangle from his legs, and he's dragged single lines many times, so after a few strides of trot he slows and halts. Yay. I walk up and steady him and undo the knot at the end of the lines, and off we go again.

Does anyone read these whole mini epics?

So we go again and he's really feeling steady despite his little freak out. I decide to switch so I'm more in the middle, and he's circling around me with two long lines. We do that a bit, and get some super collected canters, bit lots of riders came in so we had to wrap it up with the circling.

I got behind him again and we just went for a simple walk on the rail while horses passed us. He barely made faces at other horses and walked steadily along. We did about a dozen strides of trot at the end, then walked over a ground pole. I took him to the middle, secured the lines while he stood quietly, and put his halter on and told him he was a good boy.

Yay.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And in Blueberry news, I made him a playperch on the top of his cage and got him used to it, in case he does get a wing amputation. He liked it but wasn't super excited. I might move it slightly later.

He's still flying around like nothing's bothering him.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone read these whole mini epics?

I just did.

700 words exactly written tonight, which took me to the end of a scene and of a whole sequence newly written for the purposes of throwing some more rocks at my protagonist. And as that has now taken me over 30k words that's a good place to break off.

It's now full steam ahead on my SS story - plus reviews, four of which have to be ready to go live next Saturday (Australia Day). I have created a file for the SS story and that's it so far.

I also did a little bit of research for a WIP on the whys and wherefores of joint bank accounts (and credit card accounts). So I rang a bank and a credit card company and told them I was getting married soon and what (hypothetically) needed to be done re setting up a joint account. Both people I spoke to said "Congratulations". Research can be fun. ;)

And it's after midnight and time for bed. Goodnight Cantina.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What, and no comments? Dire ;)

Here's a :whip: to get you writing that SS WIP.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you! Lily told me a little more about that site. I think I'll stick with the list stuck to the fridge with a magnet myself.

Easier for me to add to. :D

Speaking of Challenge Accepted, I should totally make an Odyssey out of my plans to rewrite my Floral trilogy.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Hi all! Back home. Had a lovely weekend.

Congrats to those who need them...

:Hug2: to those who need them... and I'm crossing my fingers for Blueberry, Fen.

Now to wash my bedding. I should have done that before I went away, but alas...

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Gina.

It is past 8 and time for bed. I should not have to be on a European schedule for work.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Thank you, Fen.

In other news, I screwed up badly with these evaluations. Now I feel tired and hate myself.

Shoestring

Junior Space Janitor
Registered
Reaction score
Hiding from mountain trolls. Do you smell fish?
Hai gaiz! *waves emphatically*

I've returned from my self-inflicted exile, and there is no way I am back-reading all that. Yikes.

I'll echo Gina with the hugs and the party favors. Also, I'll likely be showing up here less often than pre-ban. Just to inform.

ION: I had a question that's been nagging me since I self-banned, and no amount of dictionary-diving has helped me any, so I turn to you all. I'd go to the people outside but I don't think the question is big enough to devote a whole entire thread to it. It's just this: can a property be a campus without being medical or institutional? my people want to say 'off-campus', but my brain says they can't until I know whether or not it's 'proper'.

Status
Not open for further replies.