What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forsaken

...Writing...
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished MOCKINGJAY. Wow.
I'll start AIRBORN by Kenneth Oppel next.

Mahesh

i love books....lol
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Mockingjay = :O :) :( :D = confusion
AStarting Clockwork angel : D

Senora Verde

Teacher by day, YA writer by night
Registered
Reaction score
And I just finished "Flygirl" by Sherri L Smith. I always tell myself that I won't like historical fiction, but then I seem to end up enjoying it. This one was great. Fighting sexism and racism in WW2 by becoming a civilian army pilot--lots of girl power which I always enjoy.

I'm not usually a fan of historical fiction, either. But I love me some girl-power. I might have to check this out...

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished another girl-power historical type novel. Climbing the Stairs by Padma Venkatraman. It was good. There was a bit too much of the 1940s character in India having the exact beliefs and values of a 21st century American girl, but it was still interesting. Bonus points for semi-happy ending.

angelfrancis

I got this!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Bought PARANORMALCY by Kiersten White, just came out yesterday. OMG is it AMAZING. I'm halfway through and can't put it down. It's the best book i've read in soo long!

eventidepress

Registered
Reaction score
Just started reading Heist Society, cause it reminded me of the WIP I just started. Loving the book so far, but it's making me a little jealous! hehe :)

Marzipan

Registered
Reaction score
Eighteen pages into THE DUFF and holy crap is it awsome! I love reading books by AWers :D

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I recently finished Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins and I'm still not quite sure what I thought of it. It is a very mature book and she's making a point about the nature of war, the impact it has on its participants and also of the danger of thinking that one side is 'better' than the other (which is probably why I get so irritated by the whole Team Gale -v- Team Peeta debate because Collins herself puts a line in the book that shows how much it misses the point). At the same time though, I never quite believed in Katnis or her dilemma and Collins does leave her as a very passive character for much of the time - which is in keeping with the theme but at the same time didn't make for an incredibly satisfying story (at least IMO anyway). Also the epilogue is just awful - a nasty tacked on thing to try and wrap up loose ends.

It's worth a look and I did find it a lot better than Catching Fire. I won't be surprised if it does well during the awards season either.

I got a copy of The Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare, which I started today. Although I was told that it was better than her Mortal Instruments trilogy, there's been a couple of historical errors within the opening 4 chapters that really made me wince (particularly a casual reference to divorce, which no self-respecting Victorian would ever joke about because of the scandal surrounding such a thing). Also the dialogue doesn't quite ring true for the period and her teen protagonists all sound like 30-something refugees from Friends, which just grates.

But hey ho. I will read on in the hope that it improves.

MM

emma_kate

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Claire de Lune by Christine Johnson. Rather disappointed that by page 62 I already had it figured out (including who the murderer was). There was just too much detail in one section and BANG...it all unravelled too early, for me. Perhaps there'll be a twist yet...? Hoping so :)

schadenfreude

good with salt
Registered
Reaction score
At the moment, I've pressed pause on Battle Royale by Koushun Takami, The Genius Wars by Catherine Jinks, and The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters (and wowzers, I just realised how many books I've started in the past fortnight. Mostly because these are the only ones I've made a dent in). I'm finding Battle Royale a little slow, mostly because it's virtually all gore with very little plot and there's nothing really keeping me going. The Genius Wars is well-written and I'm enjoying how the storyline has progressed from the previous two books, it's just that I really need to read the whole thing in one go and until I've gotten my trial exams over, I'm not going to have the time. The Little Stranger is a little slow, I like her writing style and her characterisation. The plot is just lagging a little around the middle.

I'm halfway though Stieg Larsson's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and I've just started The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. I'll only say that I'm liking Larsson's style because I want to see how the plot turns out before I comment on it. And I only started Gaiman's book this morning. On page ten, it seems good. ;)

Kats

Registered
Reaction score
My last few books were Will Grayson, Will Grayson, Pretty Little Liars (fun holiday read), Mockingjay, and Last Chance by Sarah Dessen (which is Keeping the Moon in the US). I'm now reading The Summer That Changed Everything by Ann Brashares and enjoying it.

Last edited:

Sean Wills

Registered
Reaction score
I've just started Skin Hunger by Kathleen Duey. I'm enjoying it so far, although I can't help but feel that the two alternating stories should have been separated into different books.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Mockingjay yesterday. Going to read an MG novel now (Models Don't Eat Chocolate Cookies), and then The Year of Secret Assignments is next on my list.

History_Chick

Registered
Reaction score
clockwork angel. I am enjoying it so far. :) Never read anything by this author before.

DrummerGirl

Capturing the Castle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkcrush.blogspot.com
Bought PARANORMALCY by Kiersten White, just came out yesterday. OMG is it AMAZING. I'm halfway through and can't put it down. It's the best book i've read in soo long!

I've heard it's pretty awesome. In fact - heard so much awesome stuff about it that I keep feeling tempted to order it (its not out in Australia until next month) but I'm unsure as the paranormal genre is really not my thing...

My last few books were Will Grayson, Will Grayson, Pretty Little Liars (fun holiday read), Mockingjay, and Last Chance by Sarah Dessen (which is Keeping the Moon in the US). I'm now reading The Summer That Changed Everything by Ann Brashares and enjoying it.

I have the summer that changed everything by ann brashares on my shelf :) havent gotten to it yet... also, last chance and dreamland are the two dessen books I havent read. what did you think?

Finished Mockingjay yesterday. Going to read an MG novel now (Models Don't Eat Chocolate Cookies), and then The Year of Secret Assignments is next on my list.

yay for the year of secret assignments! my love for that book knows no bounds!

I just finished sloppy firsts by Megan McCafferty which I loved. so, I guess I'll have to track down the sequels now....

and i read The Tension of Opposites by Kristina McBride - which was a quick read and I liked it but for me it didnt live up to the hype (hype is not always a good thing - I had really high expectations for this one - probably would have loved it more if it had just been some random book I picked up).

I'm going to read Girl saves Boy by Steph Bowe now... it's not out in the US until 2011. She's a 16 year old Aussie author.

jscribbles

Who killed my sea monkeys?
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished THE SKY IS EVERYWHERE. Le sigh. Bliss.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Perry Moore's Hero yesterday.

Now I'm reading Rae Mariz's The Unidentified.

I'm also listening to Beautiful Creatures.

Last edited:

DarthFormal

that's crazysauce!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fictitiousflashes.blogspot.com
I'm in the middle of Mockingjay and The True Meaning of Smek Day. I'm actually a little disappointed with Mockingjay, but its still a fun read. Smek Day, well, its just weird in a good way. And well written.

SillyMom25

Registered
Reaction score
Just read It's Not Summer Without You. I'll admit it, I do love this series. Can't wait for the 3rd book.

Status
Not open for further replies.