• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

United Agents

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Last edited:

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
More news:
http://www.publishingnews.co.uk/pn/pno-news-display.asp?K=e2007110811084553&TAG=&CUnited
Agents gears up
UNITED AGENTS, THE literary and talent agency comprised of some PFD refuseniks, has demonstrated the benefits of mobile technology by opening for business even though, as yet, they have no office. Maureen Vincent, St John Donald, Tim Corrie, Charles Walker and Caroline Dawnay are among the agents working either from home or in borrowed office space. "All those who resigned and who have now been fired are free to start over, as per the terms of the service contract," one told PN this week. Pat Kavanagh, Anthony Jones and Simon Trewin remain at PFD, working out their notice periods, though MD Caroline Michel apparently still hopes to persuade them to stay.
ID=&PGE=&sg9t=.

I have sent them an email asking when they will be open for submissions. I'll keep you updated.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
The story is really quite intriguing.
Here's a succint rundown of what happened:
http://www.publishingnews.co.uk/pn/...7444233&sg9t=8c694a2f71f3248db5b4ba3059f44481

Agenting is a personal business. It depends wholly on trust. Most important, of course, is the author's trust, but publishers matter too, and it is all about the relationships. Trust goes with the individual, not with the agency, let alone its corporate owners. The only things that matter are the agents and their relationships. So if a big corporation wants to buy and run a successful agency it has to keep the agents content, and that may be more difficult than simply ensuring that they are well fed and watered. This is the root of all the problems at PFD.
The latest financial statement from CSS Stellar, issued on 28 September, says it better than anything else. On the opening page the Chairman, David Buchler, says: “The board is determined that all our businesses are operated in a way that will deliver maximum benefit to all Shareholders”. There is the problem - no mention of any benefit to agents, let alone authors, or God forbid, ordinary staff.

No wonder the agents left! Sounds like a very cynical operation.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Any reply from United Agents yet, Sharon? I'm considering querying them, as one of their agents asked to see my next novel a little while ago, and it's ready now.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Any reply from United Agents yet, Sharon? I'm considering querying them, as one of their agents asked to see my next novel a little while ago, and it's ready now.

No reply. I also soon want to query one of their agents with my almost-finished ms. That agent's name is still on the pfd website with an email address for her PA, so I am mailing that PA asking how and when to query. I'll let you know the results, if any!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
That new phone number works, and they're very helpful.

Thanks for the update, Sharon.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Whhooo hooo, they're quick.

I phoned up this afternoon to ask how to contact Charles Walker, the agent who had expressed an interest in seeing my next novel years ago while he was still at PFD. I was straight away given his email address, and I sent him a brief email query at 2.19PM; he replied at 3.29PM, asking to see the whole novel. I'm thrilled. It's gone off all ready!

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
But ... but ... how do we know who is there and who represents what?
(Dolly - jigging up and down in anticipation)

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Until UA gets their website up, Googling individual agents finds the most info. Example: http://simontrewin.com/

I also wanted to note that United Agents, Ltd. is not to be confused with United Agents Group, recently founded by...well, the story's here.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
United Agents is made up of all the agents who recently left PFD after an argument with the management (who were not agents, but accountants). If you do a bit of Googling you should come up with the list.

I suspect they'll only take UK clients, as I think that's all PFD did. Sorry!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
The United Agents website has gone almost live: there are still some gaps to be filled, but there's a full list of agents now, a list of their clients, and submission guidelines.

Oh, and a note congratulating Ricky Gervais for winning his Golden Globe. Well done, Ricky, from me too.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
http://unitedagents.co.uk/representation/
We ONLY consider submissions sent to looking(at)unitedagents.co.uk
and meeting the following the criteria:

In the Subject box please write in BLOCK CAPITALS the area you are seeking representation in, eg, ACTORS or BOOKS… etc followed by your name and title of work if appropriate.
Books
Please send a full outline for non-fiction projects, or a short synopsis for fiction, and two or three sample chapters (the first two or three chapters are preferable) together with a covering letter giving an account of the background of the book and an account of the writer’s career to date.

They ask for email submissions with partial and synopsis. Can I assume that these should be attachments? I once had an agent ask for a partial sent in the body of the mail.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
They're quick. I received a very encouraging rejection today, a week after I sent in my mss.

Better luck to the rest of you, I hope!

Klazart

Registered
Reaction score
their website seems to have gone down. is this agency still in existence? Anyone have their telephone number etc?

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
I was on their website yesterday (maybe I crashed it). I didn't get their phone number but their submission email is [email protected]. Their address is United Agents, 130 Shaftesbury Avenue, London, W1D 5EU.

See post 15 for submission details.

Old Hack or Waylander may still have their phone number.

JJ

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
It was up about 10 days ago. I sent an email according to the guidelines, but addressed to a specific agent. Within the hour I got a reply from the assistant, saying that I had forgotten to attach the partial and synopsis (I don't know what happened, as I know I had done so, but the somehow dropped off before mailing!) and asking a few questions about the situation: how many submissions etc. I resent the attachments and the assistant said she'd pass them on to agent.
That was a Thursday. The following Monday I got a rejection. Assistant said both she and agent had read it but though it was publishable it was not what they were looking for.
I also spoke to an author yesterday who was with one of their top agents before they made the move. As she wasn't happy with him she changed agents after the move.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I was on their website yesterday (maybe I crashed it). I didn't get their phone number but their submission email is [email protected]. Their address is United Agents, 130 Shaftesbury Avenue, London, W1D 5EU.

See post 15 for submission details.

Old Hack or Waylander may still have their phone number.

JJ

Website is back up
tel: +44 (0) 20 7166 5266

Klazart

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, I've e-mail subbed this morning. But I went down the general "Books: name and author," Dear Sir/Madam route, as I couldn't decide on which agent best suited my work.

I didn't really recognise the names of their authors. Hopefully they will decide themselves which agent might best suit my work (if they are interested), and hopefully my "general" submission won't annoy them.

gerrydodge

Registered
Reaction score
Do we know if they take only UK clients? Inquiring minds want to know!

I queried them last month and just got a lovely reply from Anna Webber asking for the ms. and promising she would get back to me very soon because they were so long in replying. God I love these Brits! Anyway, I guess they will consider U.S. authors.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
A logistical question - United Agents UK

Given the subject matter of my Historical Fiction (WW1), I am concentrating on UK agents and am about to query United Agents, a relatively new agency in London. They ask for a letter, synopsis and the first three chapters of the book. What they don't specify is whether the three chapters should be sent as an attachment or in the main body of the email. How should I do this? Do you think three chapters is too much to include in the main body of an email?

All opinions gratefully received.