Atlanta Nights - The Movie!

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll kick in a few bucks, but I don't want to set up an account with their system to get it logged. Yes, I'm lazy.

8thSamurai

Registered
Reaction score
O.O

Victoria...besides my condolences for having to be subjected to such reprehensible behavior, my mind is just completely boggled.

MARScon was super awesome. I've never been to a SFF convention before, and it was, without a doubt, one of the coolest things I've taken part in.

Nor have I spoken on panels in front of people before. After the initial 'eek, people' moments, it was amazing being able to share what I've learned about writing and making movies with people - I'm really looking forward to doing it again.

Things will ramp up for AL a bit in the coming months - I'm currently co-producing and shooting an entirely different project, which wraps at the end of March.

I was informed at the convention that international writers can't donate through Kickstarter, so one of the projects on the 'to do' pile is an independent website with a Paypal button. I'll link when that is up - it'll be a little while.

I'm also looking around for artists to make a really cool t-shirt design for the film. (I draw, but with the wrong aesthetic for this project.)

Ummm, what else...

Oh! For people who might wish to follow our insanity on Facebook, here's a link to that page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Atlanta-Nights-The-Movie/146735932047093

This is a huge project in scope, due to the narrative/doc mix, and I'll be doing some timeline stuff for my own purposes to keep it all in order. I will be posting interview highlights, so that everyone can follow what we're up to.

Sydewinder

Banned
Reaction score
Look up. you see that bright star in the sky? I li
I don't get it. Is this going to be a documentary about the writing of the book? or is it going to be an actual movie with plots pulled (somehow) from the book? I read 50 pages of this book and it's nonsense. If you didn't know the back story you would want to find Travis Tea and kill them for writing such a crappy book.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I don't get it. Is this going to be a documentary about the writing of the book? or is it going to be an actual movie with plots pulled (somehow) from the book? I read 50 pages of this book and it's nonsense. If you didn't know the back story you would want to find Travis Tea and kill them for writing such a crappy book.

Maybe it's going to be set up like how "Adaption" was for "The Orchid Thief"?

8thSamurai

Registered
Reaction score
Sydewinder, a bit of both!

The goal is to have an interview with each living writer (and one tree) about writing, publishing, and their part in the creation of this, um, masterpiece, and then a goofy short emphasizing some of the literary conventions most effectively violated in that chapter.

RoyCBooth

Registered
Reaction score
And there were many such poor, defenseless literary conventions that were violated, that is certain...

(And yes, MarsCon was a blast and Rachael held her own admirably...)

RoyCBooth

Registered
Reaction score
I will be talking up/pitching support for ATLANTA NIGHTS: THE MOVIE! at EgoFest, March 18 & 19, Central Lakes College, Brainerd, MN during the screening of THE DAY LUFBERRY WON IT ALL, my film adaptation of R. Thomas Riley's dark fantasy short story from his THE MONSTER WITHIN IDEA collection (Apex).

8thSamurai

Registered
Reaction score
Cool news on the crew front!

I've just gotten a LOI (letter of interest) from cinematographer Adrian Correia about working on the film!

Here's his website for a sampling of some of the cool stuff he's done in the past:

http://www.adriancorreia.com/

I've been doing a lot of 'backstage' running around and setup that doesn't translate into news for a while, so hang in there.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
I've purchased the rights, figured out how to make it work, and am now raising funds for the production of Atlanta Nights, the movie.

I was inspired by both the story of the book's creation, and the tireless efforts of industry pros to help spread the word about literary snags and scams. (Before I found AW, I didn't even know there was such a thing.)

With all the info already available, I kept wondering why we weren't reaching more people - people who might not be as internet savvy, perhaps, or maybe they're just so excited about getting a 'yes' that the warnings go unheeded.

There's not much to do with the latter, but maybe we can use another medium to reach more of the former?

So I decided to make the movie.

Right now, I'm in the process of raising funds to make it happen. I'd love if you guys could check out the site, watch the video (donate if you're inclined), and help spread the word.

The Atlanta Nights Project

Thank you all!
I looked on Wikipedia for Atlanta Nights today and saw that the film rights have been purchased. Others looked on while I laughed maniacally at my computer, and I had to explain everything to my 8-year-old.

WOOT Travis Tea!!!

8thSamurai

Registered
Reaction score
I looked on Wikipedia for Atlanta Nights today and saw that the film rights have been purchased. Others looked on while I laughed maniacally at my computer, and I had to explain everything to my 8-year-old.

WOOT Travis Tea!!!

HAHAHA! Over the past months, I've become an 'expert' at explaining this thing, from a one sentence description to hours of back and forth about the particulars. Now those are some funny/inspiring/just plain weird conversations.

8thSamurai

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe it's going to be set up like how "Adaption" was for "The Orchid Thief"?

Kinda :)

Rather than writing fiction about the creation of the book, it'll be interviews with the writers.

(Hang in there - I've almost finished putting together my travel kit for the interviews!)

JerseyGirl1962

I heart Malamutes! :-)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kinda :)

Rather than writing fiction about the creation of the book, it'll be interviews with the writers.

(Hang in there - I've almost finished putting together my travel kit for the interviews!)

This is awesome! I contributed because I'd really, really, really like to see PA go down the tubes :evil (Which doesn't include the poor rank and file who work there; I feel sorry for them).

Can't wait. :)

Nancy

8thSamurai

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you! I've got a t-shirt desiign out, and the official webpage started.

8thSamurai

Registered
Reaction score
Questions answered :).

The website, currently in the testing (aka, I try stuff and it breaks) stage, is here:

http://atlantanightsthemovie.wordpress.com

I'll be contacting the Teas over this weekend for further contact information.

Right now, the interview schedule is waiting until I can afford the rest of the equipment (I have the camera, tripod, and lighting; I need a better lens and a decent audio package). Doing it myself is just going to take longer.

TerraAnn

Alias: Anastasia Beaverhausen ;)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
terraannpitre.webs.com
I love this! Will do everything I can to help, starting with spreading the word :) I really want this to be out there. People need to see this. Especially authors who are just starting out who don't know about researching. Taking one look at this would be eye opening. I didn't even know about the book until I was well into my third book being published with PA. By then it was all too late and I was hanging my head in shame for not doing any research on PA. When I found out about this book, I was just in awe. So glad the movie is being made. This needs to be seen so that other authors can be prevented the pain and embarassment all the PA authors like myself have been put through.

8thSamurai

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Terra!

As a general update, I now have a more experienced producer who's helping put together an investor package. We'll see how it goes. Now generating tons of paper.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
SciFi and Fantasy are among the easier genres, requiring no believable storylines, and no believable every-day characters.
Wow. Besides this being so wrong it's simply bizarre -- why did they think it'd be a good idea to insult all the poor suckers sending them sf/f manuscripts? (I imagine that's a fairly large chunk of the PA writers.)

Sarashay

Shut Up and Write
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. Besides this being so wrong it's simply bizarre -- why did they think it'd be a good idea to insult all the poor suckers sending them sf/f manuscripts? (I imagine that's a fairly large chunk of the PA writers.)

My guess is because Writer Beware is brought to you by the Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America, and they're one of the biggest resources on the net for warning aspiring writers about literary scammers.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
My guess is because Writer Beware is brought to you by the Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America, and they're one of the biggest resources on the net for warning aspiring writers about literary scammers.
Yes; I've found the SFWA website very helpful. Looking forward to earning membership.

It's still bizarre -- imagine a legitimate commercial publisher ever publicly saying something like that about one of the genres it publishes.