Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
I really enjoyed exploring Paris. I could spend every summer there and never get enough.

My family liked to camp. My mom just sold my deceased father's dream vacation home in the north woods. She could not keep up with the upkeep and rent. It was falling into ruin. I might go and help her clean it out this weekend. There is a blog post in this somewhere.

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
The most interesting place I've vacationed would probably be Disney World. Sad, I know, but I love that place! We've stayed off site and on, with the last trip we took (September 2011, my daughter's first visit) being my favorite. We stayed in a villa at Animal Kingdom Lodge, and I'm now spoiled, lol!

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about your car troubles, STiger05. BTW, I just realized the "tiger" in your username. That wouldn't be a certain college association, would it? If so, I don't think we can be friends anymore. =)

Yes, yes, War Eagle. Unfortunate if you're fan of the *ahem* other school. I'm an 05 grad of Auburn (although that isn't were the 05 in my name comes from, just my favorite number, convenient though). Always been a fan, but the first in my family to attend college.

On the subject of vacations, I love the beach, but have a fondness for mountains as well, so we usually alternate when I rack up enough leave. I think my favorite vacations have been to Europe though. Ireland is amazing (go to Galway), and so is Italy (Assisi is a must see). It helps that every time I've gone the trips have been free, but I'm dying to go back!!

yellowhammer

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, yes, War Eagle. Unfortunate if you're fan of the *ahem* other school. I'm an 05 grad of Auburn (although that isn't were the 05 in my name comes from, just my favorite number, convenient though). Always been a fan, but the first in my family to attend college

I'm in grad school at the, ahem, other school. :) Let's agree to never speak of it again.

Dorothy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dorothydreyer.wordpress.com
What's the most interesting vacation spot you've ever been?

Scotland was interesting. Loved it there. Ireland too. Had a great time in Italy with the kids, Venice is pretty neat. Went to Barcelona last summer, that was nice. Singapore was pretty interesting. So was Paris. Amsterdam is pretty interesting too. I don't know, we've been to so many places, each one is uniquely interesting.

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com
Aha! I was like, where did all this vacation talk come from? Then I saw parump's post.

I'm jealous of all you and your cool European locales. Though I've been fortunate to have family living in SE Asia, so I get to Thailand and Indonesia every couple of years. The island of Koh Tao, Thailand, is one of the most beautiful places in the world, in my opinion.

And justbishop...Disney is magic. It really is. It's silly; it's just an amusement park, but I never fail to really love it there. (I have family in Orlando, too.)

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
Adverb minimization accomplished! I also ran my entire piece through that YA story analyzer thing that's posted in here somewhere, and got rid of a bunch of redundant sentences, words, and phrases. I feel like I got a ton done today!

Next up, rewriting a 600ish word scene because it's not as realistic as it could be (have new info on how a hospital would treat a minor arriving with an unconscious guardian). Bleh.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Yay!!

I really need to dig back into my own ms. But I was able to get it to 51,000 words the other day :snoopy:
Maybe this *will* get done by the end of June and into beta's hands by July...

pixydust

Mother Flippin' Rhymnosorous
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowofthewood.com
Go Smiley!!! :D

*waves* He guys!

My fave vaca spot we've been to was probably the Red Woods up northern Cali. Soooo amazingly stunning and beautiful there; like another world.

Justbishop: Congrats on cleaning up the text! :D

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I hate that work drama has made me completely unable to handle working on TM.

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
Aww, work drama should not interfere with your other work.

OMG, Smiley, how did I miss you went to BEA. It looks like an awesome time, and I am so jealous of your author visits. Lemony Snicket looks as socially awkward as I would expect. LOL.

Cabin is rented and I am going to clean out the vacation home where I spent every summer between the ages of 10 and 18 this weekend. I hope I find my water skis.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Sage, sorry :(

Pixy! hey!!!!!! :D

Smiley, read your BEA post. Awesome pics! Will try to post comment tomorrow.

Just wanted to let you girls know (if you don't normally read blogroll) that I'm giving away all 3 of Courtney Summers' books on my blog. :)

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry Sage! *hugs* I hate work drama. Wouldn't it be nice if all our books sold fabulously and the only work drama we had was between the characters we were writing? (or occasionally breaking up a tiff between the cats? or is that just me?)

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Gah - Dorothy I was just telling someone that I won't be going to BEA ever again (I went 2 years ago - the price it was for 2 days in 2009 was how much it cost me for *one day* in 2012)...but now that you're signing...gah I may have to go ;) Thanks for stopping by my blog though.

I also added the REACHED bubble picture :)

I'm 251 words from reaching 52,000! :D My goal is to get a solid 5_,000 word count before sending this back to betas/other people (aka querying time lol). How is everyone's writing going?

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
I think I have a beat sheet for the scene I need to rewrite, and I think I'm going to be able to get a solid two scenes out of the original one, so that's good! Now I just need to find time to actually write it between "normal" life and beta-ing stuff for two other people.

Dorothy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dorothydreyer.wordpress.com
Gah - Dorothy I was just telling someone that I won't be going to BEA ever again (I went 2 years ago - the price it was for 2 days in 2009 was how much it cost me for *one day* in 2012)...but now that you're signing...gah I may have to go ;) Thanks for stopping by my blog though.

I also added the REACHED bubble picture :)

I'm 251 words from reaching 52,000! :D My goal is to get a solid 5_,000 word count before sending this back to betas/other people (aka querying time lol). How is everyone's writing going?

Would be great to see you there! :D And woohoo, on your progress! That's awesome. I managed to write 1500 words today. I've got to go make dinner now, but then it's back to writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.