Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters

Robert Toy

FOB and Slayer of windmills
Registered
Reaction score
Hatley received a life sentence that was later reduced to 40 years; Sgt. 1st Class Joseph Mayo, who had pleaded guilty to the charges, and Sgt. Michael Leahy, a medic, are serving 20-year terms. Hatley and Leahy are appealing their convictions, while Mayo is seeking a lighter sentence.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/11/17/army.tapes.canal.killings/index.html

We can damn sure use the military court system to punish our own…and ensure the world knows it.

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
Hatley received a life sentence that was later reduced to 40 years; Sgt. 1st Class Joseph Mayo, who had pleaded guilty to the charges, and Sgt. Michael Leahy, a medic, are serving 20-year terms. Hatley and Leahy are appealing their convictions, while Mayo is seeking a lighter sentence.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/11/17/army.tapes.canal.killings/index.html

We can damn sure use the military court system to punish our own…and ensure the world knows it.

Good point. What makes the military court system okay for our own criminals but not those of other countries?

Also, why is it okay that they've been housed at a military prison all these years and all of the sudden we're debating their status as war criminals?

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
as i said before, president obama is at odds with senator obama on this.

<EMBED height=390 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=480 src=http://blip.tv/play/hJNRga%2BJbQI%2Em4v allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always">

I'm not bothered by having a president who is willing to change his mind. It's refreshing, actually.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I think this is. The military tribunal system the Bush Administration tried to set up was a sham, and hopelessly tainted even after the courts forced it to make changes. This is the best way to restore confidence that there will be a fair trial.

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I think this is. The military tribunal system the Bush Administration tried to set up was a sham, and hopelessly tainted even after the courts forced it to make changes. This is the best way to restore confidence that there will be a fair trial.

All right, but since neither of us have close contacts inside the Administration, it's speculation only. I obviously disagree and feel it's just a little political sleight of hand designed to make the President look more decisive than he actually is.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't trust the military to conduct trials.

The military has a penchant for lying, imho, for internal promotion or convenience. Remember Tillman??

It's regrettable forum rules prevent me from delivering unto you what you truly deserve. With this statement, I do believe you ably demonstrate you are possessed of a narrow mind that can only countenance near horizons. Congratulations.

It occurs to me that anyone who harbors such an incredible distrust for our military should probably find a country when their sensibilities aren't so easily offended. Not 'fair?' You seriously think our military tribunal wouldn't be fair? What kind of horseshit is this? Let me see--are they still alive? yep.

That's a hell of a lot more fair than how this terrorists treated our citizens.

While I don't share Bird of Prey's distrust of military justice, the way the Pat Tillman case has been handled by the military is scandalous and outrageous.

I don't know of a single credible writer that doesn't recoil in horror at the prospect of censorship. What are suggestions that someone should "find another country" or "you are possessed of a narrow mind" but a variation of censorship because Bird of Prey expresses an unpopular sentiment.

I have recoiled from some of Bird of Prey's prior remarks on various subjects and fully expect to again, but I will defend her right to say things that piss me off.

Hell, I'll even throw in Haskins 'cause I'm in a good mood. :tongue

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
OK? So? I know I didn't recommend any sort of censorship, just rather overwhelming vexation at the opinion expressed...which I believe is my right as well. ;)

Romantic Heretic

uncoerced
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.romantic-heretic.com
It's not a matter of trustworthiness. It's a matter of jurisdiction.

Khalid is a civilian. He has committed a civil crime. He does not represent any nation. He is not a member of any nation's military system or intelligence network. The U.S. is not at war with any nation.

His case belongs in a civilian court.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
when the outcome is already guaranteed what makes a civilian trial more fair?

If the outcome is guaranteed, why are people who support a military trial objecting to a civilian court trial? Because the outcome in a military trial would be just as guaranteed. Your objection makes no sense.

FWIW, the outcome is not any more guaranteed either way than in countless other trials that go on every day.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
If a jury of 12 New Yorkers decide that this man was punished enough in Guantanamo, so be it. If they give him a death sentence, so be that, as well.

Robert Toy

FOB and Slayer of windmills
Registered
Reaction score
If the outcome is guaranteed, why are people who support a military trial objecting to a civilian court trial? Because the outcome in a military trial would be just as guaranteed. Your objection makes no sense.

FWIW, the outcome is not any more guaranteed either way than in countless other trials that go on every day.
because military trials will stll be held for other Gitmo detainees, why the split? That makes no sense

as for being found innocent, the government has also stated that they will not be released even if acquitted

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
It's not a matter of trustworthiness. It's a matter of jurisdiction.

Khalid is a civilian. He has committed a civil crime. He does not represent any nation. He is not a member of any nation's military system or intelligence network. The U.S. is not at war with any nation.

His case belongs in a civilian court.
But he was captured in a military operation, in Pakistan, where he had no citizenship. And even though the US is not at war with a nation, there's no question that al Qaeda claims to be at war with the US.

HRW wants civilian trials, it is true, but even they admit that "members of al Qaeda seek to be acknowledged as soldiers rather than denigrated as criminals."

It's a muddy thing, as Matt said. And really, it's up to the US government to make the decision. It could go either way.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website

Well, there's also the question of whether or not a civilian trial will compromise intelligence work. No small thing, that.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It occurs to me that anyone who harbors such an incredible distrust for our military should probably find a country when their sensibilities aren't so easily offended. . . .
LOL!! How bout you get out instead??

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
he's a war criminal. 9/11 was an attack on america and american interests by self-proclaimed jihadists.

he should be tried in a military court as a war criminal.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
he's a war criminal. 9/11 was an attack on america and american interests by self-proclaimed jihadists.

That's my feeling on the matter, as well.

But strictly speaking, Congress has the authority to make the decision, to define exactly what a war criminal is and how he/she should be treated:

The Congress shall have Power To...

...To define and punish Piracies and Felonies committed on the high Seas, and Offenses against the Law of Nations;
To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water...

AMCrenshaw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dfnovellas.wordpress.com
Terrorists are terrorists; soldiers are soldiers. We have our own definitions, and we should operate by those, not the ones given to us by the people on trial.

AMC

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
LOL!! How bout you get out instead??

Because I like it here for one thing; for another thing I respect the military and the efforts they make on my behalf. *shrug* Why should I leave a country I love? If I hated America and didn't trust the military that wards it, I assure you I'd move. Otherwise, the hypocrisy would strangle me.

I couldn't justify remaining in a country and enjoying the benefits it provides me if I harbored a deep-seated mistrust of the men and women who volunteer their services and their lives to make sure I had the ability to do that.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score

But wait . . . didn't the preceding Administration argue vociferously against application of Geneva Convention rules regarding POWs precisely because these jihadists were not lawful combatants?

caw