How many musicians, artists, etc. ??

Publius

Hummin', comin', atcha . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Just getting to know the AW crowd. I know you all love to write, but what other artistic endeavors do you engage in regularly.

I spent a long time singing in bands around the Buffalo, NY area. After a long hiatus, I finally started taking piano lessons about 3 months ago. I'm learning Fly Me to the Moon by Sinatra this week. Cool tune.

I also oil paint when I have the time. Tried photography for a little while, but it didn't really take.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For someone who owns three guitars (one acoustic, one electric, one resonator), you'd think I played better than I do. But I have fun, and I'm better than I once thought I'd be. I sing, but only to the kids. They're charitable.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I started playing guitar about six years ago and I love it. I don't know at what point I get to call myself a "musician." I have four guitars and can play a lot of things (most recently nailed down Rush's Xanadu) but I still feel like that word doesn't apply to me.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I often say gardening is my art, especially when I'm not writing much. I grew up among musicians and so took it for granted and didn't do much with the training I got, after I left home.

I worked as a graphic production artist for several years, back before computers were used for much and we did most of it by hand. Now, I take a lot of pictures with my beginner's digital camera, and use them on my blogs to illustrate what I post there.

Chiquitta

Registered
Reaction score
musicians and artists

I was in a choir group when I was in highschool. I played the piano for about 5 years. I can play by ear a song. I love art that is filled with geometry and color. Thanks for asking!

Bryan Methods

Registered
Reaction score
Drummer here! I even managed to make a living doing it once...for four months, lol.

Good things are happening, though. Almost finished mixing a prog album that's getting label interest now. Will probably get a distribution deal on it. Very much niche stuff, but still exciting!

Publius

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Bryan! That's a pretty big deal. My band was checked out by a label once. They left before our set was over.:Shrug:

williemeikle-What a coincidence, I've been singing badly since 1994.

Sorry Alessandra, I assumed everyone was a writer. Not excluding anyone.

Chiquitta, that's cool that you can play by ear, I can't even play by hand.

Awesome drawing Tepelus, love the expression and eyes.

Kylabelle-gardening is definitely an art. I have massacred many flowers and vegetables.

I'd say six years and Xanadu qualify you as a musician Devil Ledbetter. :D

I hear you poetinahat. My five year old is my biggest fan.

Take it from someone who knows Cliff Face, the one thing you don't need to make money in the music business, is skill.:tongue

Thanks for all the responses.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I also oil paint

Took two classes in college in it. Neat medium. But messy. Rather expensive too. How much does a tube of paint go for these days? Would be afraid to know. As of now, I draw. Pen and ink. B&W. Enjoy it. Cool means of expression. (Like you, when time allows.) Neat others on this site are into art/music. Keep at it everyone ! :)

Seven-Deuce

Registered
Reaction score
I do piano and bass, mostly. To a lesser extent, I do drums and percussion and guitar. I also tune pianos on the side, not licensed, but I have a few friends whose pianos I fix up. Was in a few bands in my life, but there was always so much drama, now I just record myself and sequence what I can't play. Gotta love Pro Tools!

Publius

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure Ken. I never buy it. It's always on my Christmas and birthday list, so it makes life easy for everyone.

Ha Devil Ledbetter. At least you didn't say the Scarecrow.

What kind of game Miss Strawberrii?

That's quite the list Seven-Duece. Impressive. Yeah, Pro-Tools has been making me sound good since 2000. I still remember our producer in the studio saying, "You're a little out of key there, but don't worry about it. We'll fix it during mix-down."

Still feels like cheating, but that was before auto-tune, so I didn't totally sell my soul.

Seven-Deuce

Registered
Reaction score
Publius, I'm not afraid to admit that I doctor the hell out of a track in Pro-Tools. People tell me it's cheating, and I tell them that using a sewing machine instead of a needle and thread is also cheating, as is using a word processor instead of a pen and paper. I don't have an orchestra at my disposal nor do I have time for formal training anymore, and it's silly to think that such circumstances should disallow us from making the music we want, especially when we have the means at our disposal.

Keep it real (fake)!

Publius

Registered
Reaction score
I agree. Times change, and pro-tools and other software opened up a world of possibilities. Not to mention the Internet and social media. I remember the days when you had to pay $400 an hour just to get a decent recording done to sell out of the trunk of your car.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Trained for opera, sang in choirs, sang folksongs for pay. Lost singing voice to acid reflux.

BA in fine art with emphasis on acrylics and colorpencil. My forte is still composition and color sense...which translate well to writing. But haven't done art in years.

Also did embroidery without a set pattern as an artform. Haven't done that for awhile either.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I've been a guitar player for more than 35 years. Played in several bands over the years, none of them any damn good. It sure was fun though.

My band stories are in my latest book, linked in my sig, along with my YouTube channel where you can actually see and hear why I never made it as a singer/guitarist.

Locke

Lost the instruction manual
Registered
Reaction score
I learned how to play the piano at 8 but was never very good at it. Then I started learning the trumpet and played that all the way through my entire three months of college.

I've been playing guitar badly since 1973

I don't have as much experience on guitar, but I, too, play guitar badly since about 1994. I still have the guitar. It's developed a weird habit, as playing the B string on the eleventh fret grounds out against other frets ahead of it and makes a disappointed sound. It won't do it on any other fret or any other string. I really ought to take it into a place that knows what the crap they're doing.

The only other thing that I'm remotely good at (supposing here that I think I'm remotely good at writing, which is a dangerous assumption in and of itself) is photography. When I met my wife, she was taking a photography class, and I sort of taught myself while playing around with her little Pentax 35mm SLR. Now I shoot with a Canon T3i and salivate uncontrollably whenever I get near a 70D.

Publius

Registered
Reaction score
Cool, cool. Plenty of artists and musicians around here. I feel right at home.

Sorry to hear about your singing voice Siri. I was going to get my degree in Art, but I thought History was the more practical choice. Then, I got out of college and realized it wouldn't have mattered either way.

Larry M, I can relate. I played in crappy bands for about ten years. I had way too much fun. Some legal, mostly illegal fun. Loved every second of it. Oh, and it was fun to play music too. My current WIP tells my own story (though fictionalized) of joining a band in high school, and all the great experiences we had together.

I always wanted to learn how to play a horn, Locke. Their cool on recordings, but even better when their live. Around Buffalo we have a blues band that pulls off the full horn section at gigs.

brasiliareview

author of Sweet Bread
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brasiliareview.org
I play ukulele like a madman. I've progressed farther on it than I ever did on other instruments. It's a lot of fun. I took it to a government agency - think DMV - with a big waiting room. Sat there and picked it. When I was called, the agent reached across the desk and asked to play it. Spread some aloha, broke through the bureaucracy.

Publius

Registered
Reaction score
That's awesome Brasilia review. I always wanted to learn how to play the sitar.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I took guitar lessons for about 4-5 years when I was a kid. Graduated to electric, learned everything. Then forgot every single thing as a result of my PTSD, I believe. Can't really pinpoint why I lost every note, chord, thingamajig ever associated with the guitar. So, not a musician.

Used to paint/draw in oils, acrylics, watercolors, charcoal, pencil, ink, mixed, etc. I used to actually work on commission for a while. Now, I probably couldn't draw an uncrooked stick figure. I lost most of it. I gave up art in about 1999ish???

Writing will be next to go. Please stand by...