• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Bowker Manuscript Submission Service

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
come on. no contest. thievery.

Little1

Hakuna Matata
Registered
Reaction score
Right like Agents/Editors don't have enugh slush to go threw that they have to go find some...

EDIT after look at site...

Did you realzie that $99 is for SIX MONTHS only????

Last edited:

michael_b

So many ideas, never enough time.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
Right like Agents/Editors don't have enugh slush to go threw that they have to go find some...

EDIT after look at site...

Did you realzie that $99 is for SIX MONTHS only????

ODG, no I'd missed that little fact.

And I reiterate what's already been said: Total rip-off.

ancorder

Registered
Reaction score
As a publisher, I find the whole concept to be a bit odd. Publishers have enough stuff coming in that they don't need MORE slush to go through. The exceptions are very small and/or very new publishers, who can put in the labor of love hours reading submissions looking for that diamond in the rough.

On the plus side, it appears that Bowker has put in place various filtering tools to make manuscript selection easier for publishers. And a publisher can also forward all unsolicited submissions to the system, thus getting rid of all those piles of paper around the office. It seems their goal is a centralized submission system for all publishers, which I'm not sure I like.

I'll probably sign us up for the service (since it's supposedly free to publishers; still looking for the catch). I just want to see what it's like.

Interesting that agents aren't part of the picture. That's a plus for a writer who is accepted, I suppose, as it's one less slice out of the pie. But many publishers don't accept unagented submissions; what will their approach be to this? I'm also unclear on whether agents can submit proposals on behalf of authors.

I do, however, feel bad for submitters. You only get to submit a proposal, and for $99 you could print & mail a dozen targeted proposals directly to publishers. Part of me (the cynical part) wonders if this is partly an effort to make writers do less work researching who to send their work to and force publishers to do more work sorting through manuscripts to find what fits their model.

Must be lunchtime.

Last edited:

nitaworm

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I really don't see any publisher going there for stuff when they get it mailed, sent, delivered to them every day by the boatloads.

michael_b

So many ideas, never enough time.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
I'm part of a publisher group and the general consensus there is: Why bother? As has been pointed out, most publishers--even ebook only houses--receive more than enough submissions without wading through a mega-slush pile like this to find one or two good stories.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
What the hell?!

That's not Yet Another Display Site. That's R.W. Bowker -- publisher of Books in Print, and inventors and sole proprietors of the system of ISBNs that's used by every publisher, bookseller and distributor out there -- running a cheap-ass display site.

Although, now that I think of it, it's been years since I've laid hand on one of their hardcopy reference works. Instead, I look stuff up on Amazon and Google, or in the company databases when I'm in the office. Amazon and Google aren't quite as reliable as BiP, but they're about a thousand times easier to use.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I wondered about that, Hapi. I used to consult their references all the time when I did research about a million years ago.

I guess when your business model goes belly-up, you find a way to adapt -- more or less successfully. This doesn't seem to be a very respectable strategy.
I expect they may be joining carriage-makers and Hollywood Video any day now.

I know queries are a minor form of torture, but who on earth would give a company $99 to 'feature' a mms for six months? That's just making money on the lazy and ignorant.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Site is gone (last cached 8/13), as are its info pages on Bowker's UK and AU sites. (And its FB page and Twitter feed, for the sake of completeness.)